Headphones calibration/eq flattening on Linux?

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Impostor
Established Member

Re: Headphones calibration/eq flattening on Linux?

Post by Impostor »

cslr wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:22 am

Are there any similar products on Linux? I tried to install Sonarworks SoundID Reference using Wine but installer stopped to an error.

Since you only need one or two EQ corrections for a single headphone set, you may as well look up an EQ correction table for your specific model and define an EQ preset with it.

I did this for my DT 990s for Calf's 12 band EQ. I don't remember where I got the data from though..

novalix
Established Member

Post by novalix »

Hi,

there is a github repo for headphone calibration sources. Here is your model: https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq ... nn%20NDH20

One can either use the ir wav files loaded in a ir convolver plugin or create the eq curves in a eq plugin.
Be sure to use these on your monitoring chain only.

Some notes:

The measurements of the frequency response can never be the same as the actual usage scenario. There are too many parameters involved.
Variations in the production of the hardware, degrading parts, head width, wearing glasses, etc.

Eq curves imply phase shifts. The bigger the moves and the steeper the curves the more artifacts are produced.

bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

That works great with a 16 bit stereo impulse response and lsp-plugins-impulse-responses-stereo.

With an audio interface that has 4 output channels like Scarlett 2i4 I can feed an unequalized signal to the speakers (channel 1 + 2) and a signal for the headphones (channel 3 +4).

a.png
a.png (42.5 KiB) Viewed 451 times
b.png
b.png (35.99 KiB) Viewed 451 times

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

To avoid big latencies you should download the "minimum phase" impulse resonses from www.autoeq.app, not the "linear phase".

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

bluebell wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:18 pm

To avoid big latencies you should download the "minimum phase" impulse resonses from www.autoeq.app, not the "linear phase".

I still have my Sonarworks reference ID when they experimented with Linux and when I compare it with autoeq, it doesn't hold a candle to autoeq...

Auto EQ actually I had more of a natural sound and then when combined with airwindows monitoring plugins and the plugins set to one of the cans, it gives that I forgot the word I think it's binaural effect if that's the right word which crosses over like if you were listening on big speakers. Those combinations because I'm in a condominium I cannot mix with speakers and I use that and it works amazingly.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

bluebell wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:31 am

That works great with a 16 bit stereo impulse response and lsp-plugins-impulse-responses-stereo.
With an audio interface that has 4 output channels like Scarlett 2i4 I can feed an unequalized signal to the speakers (channel 1 + 2) and a signal for the headphones (channel 3 +4).

Thanks for the hint. Lacking the extra stereo channel, I've created an extra output pair in jack_mixer connected to the LSP IR, and a script for toggling between them and the default output (with sendmidi).

Extra nice that you can run LSP IR headless, with a predefined config file. With one keystroke* I can now activate/deactivate LSP, and toggle the desired jack_mixer output channels on/off.

Edit: the flat autoeq profile for my DT990's makes them sound like utter shit though.

Press <ctrl>+<numlock> once: monitoring mode activated.
Press <ctrl>+<numlock> again: default mode restored.

Why don't I use the dedicated Monitor output of jack_mixer? It's not midi controllable.

Attachments
Monitoring.png
Monitoring.png (58.63 KiB) Viewed 205 times
Default.png
Default.png (56.29 KiB) Viewed 205 times