Please help me install Midieditor (dependency difficulty)

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

seymourgler
Established Member

Please help me install Midieditor (dependency difficulty)

Post by seymourgler »

Hello again! Linux newbie here, running Lubuntu (Jammy Jellyfish) version of Debian on an old Lenovo ThinkPad 11e Baytrail/Glimmer with Intel Celeron N2940 Quad Core 1.83GHz processor. Hoping to do simple MIDI sequencing with an external synth, maybe an internal soft synth or drum machine too, if possible. I am having trouble installing the basic Midieditor, due to the following two dependencies, see below. I installed numerous qt5 and gstreamer packages, but keep getting this error. What am I doing wrong? Maybe something path related?

Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated! Don't worry about insulting my intelligence, I'm very new to this whole platform.

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
midieditor : Depends: qt5-default but it is not installable
Depends: gstreamer1.0-doc but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: Please help me install Midieditor (dependency difficulty)

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Are we talking about this midieditor that one has to install from an external .deb package and not from Ubuntu's standard repositories?:

http://www.midieditor.org/index.php?category=download

If so, your distro (Ubuntu 22 'Jammy') may not have Qt5 installed per default... Neither does it have the documentation for Gstreamer installed, apparently. It's weird that midieditor has a hard dependency on some documentation... Use your favourite package manager to install those.

Impostor
Established Member

Re: Please help me install Midieditor (dependency difficulty)

Post by Impostor »

Even though I seemingly miss all of these:

Code: Select all

gstreamer1.0-libav gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly libdca0 libfreeaptx0 libgssdp-1.2-0 libgstreamer-plugins-bad1.0-0 libgupnp-1.2-1 libgupnp-igd-1.0-4 libilmbase25 libkate1 libldacbt-enc2 libltc11
  libmjpegutils-2.1-0 libmpcdec6 libmpeg2encpp-2.1-0 libmplex2-2.1-0 libnice10 libopencore-amrnb0 libopencore-amrwb0 libopenexr25 libopenh264-6 libopenni2-0 libqrencode4 libqt5multimedia5-plugins
  libqt5multimediagsttools5 libqt5multimediaquick5 libqt5multimediawidgets5 libqt5qmlworkerscript5 libqt5quickparticles5 libqt5quickshapes5 libqt5quicktest5 libqt5webkit5-dev libsidplay1v5 libsoundtouch1 libspandsp2
  libsqlite3-dev libsrtp2-1 libvo-aacenc0 libvo-amrwbenc0 libwildmidi2 libzbar0 libzxingcore1 qt5-qmltooling-plugins qtdeclarative5-dev qtdeclarative5-dev-tools qtmultimedia5-dev

What I did:

-Ignore all dependencies.
-Extract the .deb
-From the extracted folder data.tar.xz, extract ./usr/lib/midieditor/MidiEditor
-Place it somewhere, anywhere
-There in terminal, run ./MidiEditor

Now it runs, midi in and outputs work, recording works, drawing notes works. Saving and loading works.
Will some feature not work? Probably.

On Linux Mint 21.3. So Ubuntu Jelly probably too.