Audio clips don't play when loop play.

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

Tapper
Established Member

Audio clips don't play when loop play.

Post by Tapper »

Hi. Why audio clip does not sound when loop play starts a second round? If I stop and start from the loop region, it sounds ok, but on second round audio clip doesn't sound again (midi plays as it should). Sometimes it "spits out" sound of the clip in a middle of the loop, sometimes it doesn't sound until I stop and start again.

Latest appimage.

Impostor
Established Member

Re: Audio clips don't play when loop play.

Post by Impostor »

Seems to work fine as long as you don't adjust the loop boundaries during playback. But maybe certain other actions also interfere with playback?

Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

Check if 'Latency Correction' is enabled in Global Settings > Audio > Latency tab.
If it is enabled, turn it off (and try restarting MusE).
There are known issues with the latency correction and looping, especially with wave parts.

Other than that, can you tell me if the audio clips being used are normal uncompressed .wav files,
or are they compressed .flac or .ogg files?
Although there shouldn't be a big problem, sometimes compressed audio files can be a strain on MusE and the system.
It must work harder for those files.

Thanks.
T.

Tapper
Established Member

Post by Tapper »

Aha! Problem appears when I use bluetooth headphones. And problem might be deeper.

I use pipewire.

With only internal soundcard present(!) When I create project I have to connect output to my soundcard manually, save project, close. Then reopen it, and I must reconnect output by hand again. But! No weird audio disappearing while loop playing with or without latency compensation in settings.

With bluetooth headphones turned on: Start Muse, open my previously created project and output automatically connects to the headphones. Then problem with loop playing appears with or without latency compensation in settings.

With bluetooth headphones turned on I change output to internal soundcard, problem with loop still present. I save project with outputs connected to internal soundcard, reopen, it still connects internal and autoconnects to headphones.

Turn off headphones without restarting Muse, loop problem presents. Saved project with output conected to internal soundcard, reopen (without restarting Muse), loop problem is present.

Then I turn off Muse, headphones turned off, start Muse again, open the project, MANUALY connect output to integrated - and there is no problem with loop playing.

So. my conclusions are: Muse ignores my internal soundcard, and likes my bluetooth headphones and even manual connection and saving doesn't change that. With headphones turned on loop problem exists with latency compensation turned on or off. With headphones turned on loop problem exists no matter what output device I use. Is this auto connection and loop playing problems related?

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Tapper wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:17 am

With only internal soundcard present(!) When I create project I have to connect output to my soundcard manually, save project, close. Then reopen it, and I must reconnect output by hand again.

Sounds like a chore. Instead of letting MusE do the connecting, maybe it's easier to use a patchbay app? For pipewire there are wireplumber and qpwgraph (or so I've heard: I still use oldskool jack, with qjackctl).

Tapper wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:17 am

So. my conclusions are: Muse ignores my internal soundcard, and likes my bluetooth headphones and even manual connection and saving doesn't change that. With headphones turned on loop problem exists with latency compensation turned on or off. With headphones turned on loop problem exists no matter what output device I use. Is this auto connection and loop playing problems related?

That's easiliy found out when you disable MusE autoconnect and use a patchbay instead. With qjackctl you can deny autoconnect requests, and force the desired connections with a persistent patchbay.
Hopefully for pipewire there exists equivalent functionality.