VST1 (not VST 2 or later) .DLL windows plugins

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

OldSilicon

VST1 (not VST 2 or later) .DLL windows plugins

Post by OldSilicon »

In 2024, what is the least complicated way to get .dll based (no installer) windows VST plugins running in Reaper on Ubuntu Studio? Keep in mind I'm talking about VST ONE, not VST2 or VST3.

Kernel version is 6.5.0-25-lowlatency (64-bit) and I'm using the latest Reaper for Linux.

Yabridge claims VST2/3 support but not VST1. The plugins I use are 32bit VST plugins from over 20 years ago which require no installer. I use about 30 of such plugins, some audio and some VSTi's, but in all cases they are each a single .dll file. I'm talking about the Kjaerhus Classic series, MDA, Simulanalog Guitar Suite, etc. I have several songs made with these and I am used to working them, which is why I continue to use them in 2024.

Carla gives me an error trying to load them. I was hoping there would be some way to get them all working at once, instead of having to individually "install" each of the 20-something plugins with lengthy terminal commands. But so be it if that's the only way to do it.

In windows Reaper, 32bit and 64bit plugins are automatically bridged, and it's a simple drag-and-drop into my VST folder. I realize this is Linux but I'm hoping for an efficient way to get these 30+ plugins loaded. Again, not a single installer among them, all are .dll plugins.

d.healey
Established Member

Re: VST1 (not VST 2 or later) .DLL windows plugins

Post by d.healey »

OldSilicon wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:02 pm

some audio and some VSTi's,

VST 1 didn't include VSTi, they came with VST2.0 back in 1999. What makes you think the plugins you have are VST1?

David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
Garyg
Established Member

Post by Garyg »

Have you actually tried them in Yabridge?

AV Linux comes with a selection of Windows VSTs installed including the Kjaerhus ones so they definitely work with Yabridge ok.

Heeb

Post by Heeb »

OldSilicon wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:02 pm

Keep in mind I'm talking about VST ONE, not VST2 or VST3.

I'm talking about the Kjaerhus Classic series, MDA, Simulanalog Guitar Suite, etc.

Those are very probably all VST2, not VST1.
VST2 was released in 1999.
The plugins you mention are all years younger than that.