wine-staging experiences and update hold?

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

nevis
Established Member

wine-staging experiences and update hold?

Post by nevis »

hi all,

What are your experiences with wine-staging and yabridge plugin compatibility?
I have been doing this for a few weeks. So I do really value your experiences and insights.

My automatic update from wine-staging 9.2 to 9.3 basically made some plugins unusable for me (both DAWs crashed).
I reverted back to 9.2 as per the yabridge docu and am holding updates for now.

Is this a regular thing?
What are your best practices?

Thanks! :)

new to all of this

glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: wine-staging experiences and update hold?

Post by glowrak guy »

Hi, the wine-staging is a testing release, in my experience around 10% of updates will cause musical trouble,
but things that are reported to their system don't take long to be fixed. I also noticed some plugins crashing Reaper in the 9.3 release.
I keep multiple distros, with one that never gets a major update when the tools most important to me, are working.
I tested (EDIT): 9.3 in one of those. In my keeper setup, I currently have wine-staging 9.0 in an AVLinux from early 2023, liquorix kernel 5.19, and Reaper 7.11, nouveau nvidia
with an old 9400 GT pcie card, in an i7 intel mobo.
I just loaded Kontakt 6 and SampleTank 4, to make sure it's still working OK :wink:
I'm not a techie, but errors suggest a graphics issue is behind the scenes in 9.3, as these two will crash the blimp in
that release.

ST4-K6.jpg
ST4-K6.jpg (245.27 KiB) Viewed 532 times
Last edited by glowrak guy on Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

On the troubled system, where SampleTank 4 and Kontakt 6 crashed when loaded in Reaper, I replaced the wine-staging 9.3 folder in /opt
with the working OK version 9.0 from a non-update partition, and then decided to install the official nVidia driver using synaptic package manager, an old version '340' for my old video card. The kernel is liquorix 6.6.9-1. After rebooting, I installed a few 3d games to verify it was working...all was well, so I re-ran

yabridgectl sync

for luck, and in Reaper did a 'clear cache' full plugin rescan. I then launched Native Access 1.14, and it worked it's way through the subset
of Native Instruments plugins on this smaller drive. The result is acceptible, but not as perfect as on a $1200 pro-audio mac etc.

SampleTank 4 is also back, so my camp is happy as the sun sets on small victories 8)

K6-Kinetic Metal.jpg
K6-Kinetic Metal.jpg (255.09 KiB) Viewed 507 times
ST4 nvidia.jpg
ST4 nvidia.jpg (200.02 KiB) Viewed 506 times
nevis
Established Member

Post by nevis »

Thanks for sharing your insights and experiences, much appreciated!

I don't know if my Linux skills allow for the clever multi-distro installations you have. One day...

new to all of this

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Hi, you can install linux on external usb drives, no rocket science. An SSD in a usb case is
handy, fast, and the peace of having a second system is worth the price. 8)
Cheers

nevis
Established Member

Post by nevis »

Never thought about the portable/external install. D'oh.
Thanks! :)

new to all of this