Native Access AV Linux MX23 Install Help for a noob

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

peelybird
Established Member

Native Access AV Linux MX23 Install Help for a noob

Post by peelybird »

Hi All

Im running a newly installed AVLinux MX23 Enlightened, not a live env, wanting to install Kontakt Full 7.x ultimately for orchestral production with Reaper. The distro comes with wine.staging 8.12 installed as a package from the MX package manager - I think... At least when you open the MX package manager it reports that as an installed package. The wine --version reports wine-8.12. It doesn´t report staging in that output so I´m confused.

Anyway I can install the NTKDaemon as per glowrak guy´s instructions viewtopic.php?p=164516#p164516. And it reports as a running process. I can also install Native Access 1.14 also as per his instructions. This is all done via the terminal with wine under the default .wine application. I ran winecfg but didn´t change anything first. But... when I run the Installed Native Access file as

Code: Select all

wine /home/david/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Native\ Instruments/Native\ Access/Native\ Access.exe

I always get an error

Code: Select all

Error of failed request:  GLXBadFBConfig
  Major opcode of failed request:  152 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  0 ()
  Serial number of failed request:  277
  Current serial number in output stream:  277

and it just bombs out. I tried in ubuntu studio and I get the same issue. So Iḿ gussing Iḿ doing something fundamentally wrong. Every post I see seems to suggest these combinations of App versions should just work - at least to install.

Do I need to run it in itś own wineprefix with some other config settings? I don´t really know where to start. Any ideas anyone??

edit: maybe I should ask another more focused question. Is there a way to install a known good wine staging build on AV-Linux or Mint instead of the recommended or whatever the distro has packaged? Is this even a good idea?

GMaq
Established Member

Re: Native Access AV Linux MX23 Install Help for a noob

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

AV Linux comes with Wine-Staging 8.12 as default, if you use the MX Package Installer and click on the 'MX Test Repo' tab you can upgrade and install a newer version of Wine-Staging 9.2 and perhaps that will work with the NI installer.

peelybird
Established Member

Post by peelybird »

Thanks GMaq. And thank you for AV Linux. I will continue to try to get this working because I find the audio quality is excellent out of the box through my Tascam 208i in your distro as opposed to Ubuntu Studio and Mint which give weird crackly outputs for everything. Also its fast on my 2011 PC.

I tried your suggestion but there seems to be an issue with the package in the MX Test repo. When I install winehq-staging 9.x from the test repo it fails because of a missing i386 wine package.
My post on the MX forum https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php ... ne#p766684 was moved to a new thread so no context really but actually I was trying to install winehq-staging as per Mike´s suggestion there. Just the package manager shows an error for the wine-staging dependency which is nested down. Is this perhaps an AVLinux specific issue as Mike seems adamant on another thread that all is fine with the package dependencies in MX on a number of his test VMs.

So I tried also to install wine-staging from WineHQ as per https://wine.htmlvalidator.com/install- ... ux-23.html. It all seems to install without issue, 9.2 staging, but I still am unable to get the Native access app to open. I will try again as I had success on a Vanilla Mint Cinnamon install today using those same instructions for the WineHQ staging install and including a specific wine prefix for each command, both wincfg, and wine native access.exe.

I will report back.

Still Kobntakt 7 on mint installs from Native access 1.14 but doesn´t open so I suppose I need to ask for an older Version perhaps. Another topic perhaps...

bill80
Established Member

Post by bill80 »

What's the kontakt 7 version? It's 7.3.1 or latest version?

We may search these files on Native Instruments website. ( https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us )
================================================== ======================

NTKDaemon 1.9.0 Setup PC.exe or newer version

NTKDaemon will prevent the "update" trap.

Native Access 1.14.1 Setup PC.exe

If you install NTKDaemon first, then install Native Access 1.14.1.

While you press the update button, it will bypass the update and go directly to your Native Access Account. You need to login to the account to download your library.

Kontakt 7 7.3.1 Setup PC.exe

Request or Search the Native Instrument site for this file.

================================================== ======================

First, install the NTKDaemon, then install Kontakt player 7 version 7.3.1
and Native Access version 1.14.1.

The latest version of Kontakt player 7 (version 7.5.x - 7.6)

doesn’t work on wine or wine-staging.

peelybird
Established Member

Post by peelybird »

Hi Bill
Thank you for taking the time to help. Well I have managed to install Native access 1.14 on Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon. Installed first the Daemon, then Native access into a shared WINEPREFIX on wine 9.2 staging. It downloaded full Kontakt latest 7.6xx which doesn´t work, obviously but am happy to get that far. All this in Mint, not AVLinux unfortunately.

I have asked NA Support for a version Prior to 7.3, A copy 6 and 5 also for some compatibility with an older 8Dio Insolidus library. So far no response from them though.

On AVLinux MX 23 I uninstalled all traces of wine via the package manager, deleted wine related directories in .local etc etc. I Installed wine staging 9.2 from WineHQ as per https://wine.htmlvalidator.com/install- ... ux-23.html. I installed the NTKDaemon without issue and it runs fine as far as I can tell. Installed Native Access 1.14 as well and it all appears to be fine so far. So far the steps I took have been identical on AVLinux and on Mint. On Mint it works fine, however on AVLinux Native Access will not start, and crashes out as per the same error in the start of this thread. I never even see a Native access window. Something dies before then.

So how do I tell what the difference is between the two distros?

Where do I look to see what might be missing as to dll versions or maybe something to do with the different desktop environments or something like that? There are SO MANY "errors" that show in the console when I run wine *.exe from either distro that itś hard to know what to take seriously. Is there some known way of debugging wine in these cases?

For example I got the Spitfire Audio app to work on wine in Mint by running winetricks dlls on a specific dll I found on a forum but have no clue how the guy who worked it out, actually worked it out :-) I´d love to be able to see for myself and then fix. Anyone got experience with these secret arts??

David

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Hi, I have a previous version of AVLinux where Native Access 1.14 works.
I have Kontakt 6 and wine-staging 9.0.0 bullseye, with xfce as desktop gui.
I have an nVidia pcie 9400GT video card and the driver is xorg-video-nouveau 1:1.0.17-1
The kernel is 5.19.0-4.2-liquorix

The Kontakt 6 version is from Komplete 13, which I upgraded from Komplete 12.
Native Access likes a ton of free contiguous diskspace in which to operate.
It is very picky about the graphics display, likes the fancy stuff.
It will sometimes need to be restarted after completing a requested operation.
It will sometimes demand that you remove a version of something from the registry, before upgrading it.
It will someimes say that a download has failed, when it actually worked when you check
the download location.
Sometimes it will ask for the original iso file, so one must have and mount that file to extract the installer.
All paths and titles containing spaces, must be wrapped in quotes in commands, like
"Program Files/VstPlugins"

Sadly, K7 is generally seem as a trainwreck with a new caboose :wink:
If you can't get it to work, and NI refuses to provide older versions, you could sell or trade your version after de-authorization,
and look for someone selling a boxed full version of Komplete 12, or 13 that wil have K6, and comes on a usb drive.
Or maybe someone will sell a de-authorized Kontakt 5 or 6.

Another route would be to buy a used or older boxed version of Komplete Select, then buy a Komplete 12 or 13 Upgrade Select.
Those upgrade products differ from the full versions of Komplete) NI have 50%-off sales in summer and Thanksgiving/Christmas,
so be patient. Some of the larger forums have 'marketplace' sections you can advertise your /buy/sell needs.
Cheers

peelybird
Established Member

Post by peelybird »

Thank you. I hope it won´t come down to that.

So far I have Spitfire audio, Native access 1.14 and Melodyn 5 working in their own respective wine prefixes.

Just Kontakt is the missing key. Also iZotope plugins are crashing spectacularly and killing the whole Reaper process on trying to load but Iĺl post separately. All in Mint 21 Cinnamon.

bill80
Established Member

Post by bill80 »

Hi, there,

https://community.native-instruments.co ... -installer

2.I use both linux Mint V.21.1 and AVlinux V.21.3 for audio production.
AVlinux works well with both spitfire player and Kontakt Full 7.3.1. Linux mint works well with both players too.
My wine version is Wine v.9 stable on each platform. The benefit of linux mint is, you don't need to mount the iso file which download from
Native instruments. Just move your mouse on downloaded file then double click on it. System will show the hidden files on screen.
Then we may expand the compressed files on a folder, start to install our instruments.

After the installation process, open Native Access assign the installed location.

Wish these information works for you.
Bill.