I need help! What is the most perfectly functioning audio/midi Interface for Linux?

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Audiojunkie
Established Member

I need help! What is the most perfectly functioning audio/midi Interface for Linux?

Post by Audiojunkie »

Hello Everyone,

I am exhausted from researching. I'm really hoping you guys can help me. I'm looking for a 100% perfectly functioning audio/midi interface that doesn't require any special modifications or customizations, that doesn't require anything other than the generic kernel, and has the following minimum features: At least 2in and 2 out audio, and a midi in and midi out.

After researching and researching, I bought an open box Arturia MiniFuse 2 audio/midi interface off of the internet last night, and I am now thinking I made a mistake. The Arturia MiniFuse 2 has exactly everything that I want, including a USB hub, which is unheard of on all but the most expensive of interfaces. I got a really good deal for it, and supposedly it hasn't been used, so I can sell it if needed, but I've found that there are problems with it since purchasing it. I really need something that is as plug and play as possible and very, very reliable. I've gone through multiple websites and forums, and it seems that everyone either thinks everything is perfect on their device, or that people are having problems. I've looked through the ALSA lists too. Maybe I've been naïve all this time, but it appears that "EVERY" audio interface has problems with Linux. Am I wrong? (I hope)

Please help!!!

merlyn
Established Member

Re: I need help! What is the most perfectly functioning audio/midi Interface for Linux?

Post by merlyn »

I take it this is a USB interface that you're looking for? I have an old RME PCI card which works -- it even has a control panel like Total Mix, not that I use it. Believe it or not it was £50 on ebay, as nobody wants PCI cards any more as motherboards tend not to have PCI slots.

For USB though I would think a Focusrite would work, thanks to @geoffrey 's efforts. Focusrite sent him a ton of hardware, so he can sort out any issues, and he has written a control panel for the internal mixer.

What is the problem with the Minifuse? The 'class compliant' thing can be a bit less than class compliant. Part of the kernel source is quirks-table.h and the size of that (massive) is how far from truly class compliant USB audio interfaces are.

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Re: I need help! What is the most perfectly functioning audio/midi Interface for Linux?

Post by Audiojunkie »

merlyn wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:02 pm

I take it this is a USB interface that you're looking for? I have an old RME PCI card which works -- it even has a control panel like Total Mix, not that I use it. Believe it or not it was £50 on ebay, as nobody wants PCI cards any more as motherboards tend not to have PCI slots.

For USB though I would think a Focusrite would work, thanks to @geoffrey 's efforts. Focusrite sent him a ton of hardware, so he can sort out any issues, and he has written a control panel for the internal mixer.

What is the problem with the Minifuse? The 'class compliant' thing can be a bit less than class compliant. Part of the kernel source is quirks-table.h and the size of that (massive) is how far from truly class compliant USB audio interfaces are.

I haven't received it yet. I was having buyer's remorse, but I just found this, which may be the solution to the problem I was reading about (loopback issues):

https://github.com/alsa-project/alsa-ucm-conf/pull/145

https://www.alsa-project.org/wiki/Detai ... 6.3_v1.2.7

So, maybe, MAYBE, everything will be ok. I hope, I hope!

Last edited by Audiojunkie on Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

mAudio pci soundcards, placed in the best older motherboard you can find, having a real pci slot, may have the best 'trouble-to-performance' ratio. I have used one in an intel-i7 motherboard, using the snd_ice1712 kernel module, in a dozen different distros. envy24control or mudita24 are excellent mixer panels for the analog and digital i/o. I hear no sonic reason to get anything more modern. Amazing modern specs don't often translate audibly once mixing/mastering, and burning/uploading have chopped off the (sometimes expensive) extremes seen in advertisements and praised in reviews, further deteriorated by sundry listening devices, and damaged hearing.
Mi dos centavos

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

You might also consider hunting a bargain for a digital recorder with a mixer. New at $300,
and it doen't care what distro you have :wink:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ortastudio

and slightly off-topic, https://deskreen.com/lang-en

This might be considered for expanded wireless gui viewing.
Cheers

merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

You don't really know until you plug it in. Predicting the future is a risky business, but I'm going to say -- it will work. The fact that it's on ALSA developer's radar is a good sign.

There have been more and more class compliant interfaces. "Woah," you might think, "manufacturers are getting hip to Linux." Eh ... sadly not the case. There are more and more class compliant interfaces because of the iPad. It is impossible to install drivers on an iPad, so class compliant it must be.

Usually the complaint is that the audio side of an interface works, but there are features missing. This could be crippling. e.g. switching on and off phantom power if that is done in software. And more and more these functions are done in software, as switches and buttons cost money, software less so.

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

To my understanding, Behringer interfaces work without problems. They aren't talked much because there is nothing to talk about. Get interface, plug in and use.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

Yes, I tried a Behringer 404 and it worked without problems. There isn't anything fancy about them, and all controls are available on the interface itself, not in software. The output level was low, which is part of how they make their interfaces so cheap.

I would think Focusrite interfaces are now equally as Linux friendly.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

tavasti wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:51 pm

To my understanding, Behringer interfaces work without problems. They aren't talked much because there is nothing to talk about. Get interface, plug in and use.

merlyn wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:04 pm

Yes, I tried a Behringer 404 and it worked without problems. There isn't anything fancy about them, and all controls are available on the interface itself, not in software. The output level was low, which is part of how they make their interfaces so cheap.
[...]

Yep. Behringer U-Phoria series usually don't require a driver. However, Behringer in its infinite wisdom recently changed some chip in the 404 so recent 404's only work with the very latest and greatest kernel. If its only Midi one is after, I use this cheapo from Aliexpress (5 Euro incl. shipping):

barbouze
Established Member

Post by barbouze »

I bought a Behringer UMC204HD for my brother and its Guitarix-dedicated linux.
I personally went with a Mackie Onyx Producer 2x2 as it was on sale.

Both are exactly what you are looking for. Plug(&Setup Jack)&Play

autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:16 am

If its only Midi one is after, I use this cheapo from Aliexpress (5 Euro incl. shipping):

I've had one of those. Tossed it in the bin as it couldn't handle more complex MIDI data. Did a quick search on that and this was the first find: https://sound.stackexchange.com/questio ... with-linux

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

autostatic wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:54 am
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:16 am

If its only Midi one is after, I use this cheapo from Aliexpress (5 Euro incl. shipping):

I've had one of those. Tossed it in the bin as it couldn't handle more complex MIDI data. Did a quick search on that and this was the first find: https://sound.stackexchange.com/questio ... with-linux

I get what you mean. If you're any good at playing or have high standards they might not be what you need. I can't play if my life depended on it so I never noticed these cheap Chinese adapters choking up. I use synths and Midi for very simple things like a sequence without any velocity data etc.

autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

True, if you only use such an interface for playing or recording notes then they should work good enough.

RyanH
Established Member

Post by RyanH »

I'm with @barbouze. Mackie Onyx Producer 2•2. Works perfectly for me right out of the box with Ubuntu 20.04 and 22.04, with no tinkering.

-two line/instrument/XLR mic inputs in the front

-MIDI in/out in the back

-left/right line outputs in the back for connection to speakers

-USB connection to computer

-much more solid build and lower noise floor than the Behringer UM2 (which also works out of the box with Linux)

NOTE: I have not used the MIDI ports, but this unit came with a key to download Tracktion's Waveform OEM DAW, including for Linux, so I would be very surprised if the MIDI ports gave you any issues.

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

RyanH wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:44 pm

I'm with @barbouze. Mackie Onyx Producer 2•2. Works perfectly for me right out of the box with Ubuntu 20.04 and 22.04, with no tinkering.

-two line/instrument/XLR mic inputs in the front

-MIDI in/out in the back

-left/right line outputs in the back for connection to speakers

-USB connection to computer

-much more solid build and lower noise floor than the Behringer UM2 (which also works out of the box with Linux)

NOTE: I have not used the MIDI ports, but this unit came with a key to download Tracktion's Waveform OEM DAW, including for Linux, so I would be very surprised if the MIDI ports gave you any issues.

How is the sound quality of these Mackie devices? They are so cheap, that I almost worry that they will be like those no-name brands that are available from China. You can't beat the price, but you also get what you pay for. That's my main worry with them.