Guitarix.vst v0.1 released

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

tramp
Established Member

Guitarix.vst v0.1 released

Post by tramp »

This is the first release of Guitarix.vst

Guitarix.vst is the full blown guitarix stack as VST3 plugin for Linux, using Juce to wrap the guitarix engine into a VST3 plugin.
It allow to load/save your presets, download presets from online and load external LV2 plugs and IR Files, like the guitarix stand-alone version.
But all that as a VST3 plugin in your DAW. All parameters been exposed to the DAW, so accessible for automation.
Other than the stand-alone, the VST3 version allows to switch the input to a real stereo input, so it may match better your channel strip in the DAW.
For Hdpi users, the GUI is full scalable.

The binary package Guitarix.vst3.zip is a x86-64 Linux binary.
To build from source please use the Guitarix.vst3_0.1.tar.gz package, as only that one contain the needed submodules.

enjoy.

Release Page is here

Project Page is here

If you like to support the guitarix.vst development consider a donation: Donate

On the road again.
Largos
Established Member

Re: Guitarix.vst v0.1 released

Post by Largos »

Downloaded the binary I could not get it to work in any host until I installed "libcurl-gnutls4" (using opensuse tumbleweed). Thankfully Ardour had a helpful error message.

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Largos wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:59 pm

Downloaded the binary I could not get it to work in any host until I installed "libcurl-gnutls4" (using opensuse tumbleweed). Thankfully Ardour had a helpful error message.

Hmmm, this seems to be a common issue with many VST3 Plugins both FLOSS and Commercial, is it some kind of baked-in requirement of the VST3 SDK or JUCE?

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

GMaq wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:10 pm

Hmmm, this seems to be a common issue with many VST3 Plugins both FLOSS and Commercial, is it some kind of baked-in requirement of the VST3 SDK or JUCE?

JUCE introduce that dependency for a so called "call back home" function, hence many JUCE plugs "just" needs that. But I walked to the JUCE source and disable that function.
However, now we need libcurl to be able to download online guitarix presets so I need to introduce it back.
At least, the Guitarix.vst binary could be used on any system without trouble, when it could run the guitarix stand-alone version from the used distribution, and, it didn't do any "call back home" at all.

On the road again.
Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

tramp wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:34 pm

This is the first release of Guitarix.vst

Guitarix.vst is the full blown guitarix stack as VST3 plugin for Linux, using Juce to wrap the guitarix engine into a VST3 plugin.
It allow to load/save your presets, download presets from online and load external LV2 plugs and IR Files, like the guitarix stand-alone version.
But all that as a VST3 plugin in your DAW. All parameters been exposed to the DAW, so accessible for automation.
Other than the stand-alone, the VST3 version allows to switch the input to a real stereo input, so it may match better your channel strip in the DAW.
For Hdpi users, the GUI is full scalable.

The binary package Guitarix.vst3.zip is a x86-64 Linux binary.
To build from source please use the Guitarix.vst3_0.1.tar.gz package, as only that one contain the needed submodules.

enjoy.

Release Page is here

Project Page is here

If you like to support the guitarix.vst development consider a donation: Donate

Beautiful!!! Thank you very, very much!!! This is perfect timing, since today I added a starter Guitar effects list for musicians (not programmers), on another thread here. Guitarix.vst is the keystone to my document. :)

viewtopic.php?t=26764

oddy.o.lynx
Established Member

Post by oddy.o.lynx »

It may be a good idea to disable CURL in the Projucer or Juceaid.

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

I think the control for moving the dials is the best I've experienced on any plugin gui ever. There are many fiddly bits tolerated in commercial tools that are too fussy. I also like the colored panels with easily readable text. There is only one combo I've found that has text that lacks contrast, purple with some black text, as in the multiband compressor and maybe a few others. A gray, without being white, would be nice in those few cases. Very easy to use Guitarix!

purple-black.jpg
purple-black.jpg (18.3 KiB) Viewed 1107 times
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

oddy.o.lynx wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:31 am

As I said, it is disabled. We need curl for download online presets only.

glowrak guy wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:34 am

I think the control for moving the dials is the best I've experienced on any plugin gui ever. There are many fiddly bits tolerated in commercial tools that are too fussy. I also like the colored panels with easily readable text. There is only one combo I've found that has text that lacks contrast, purple with some black text, as in the multiband compressor and maybe a few others. A gray, without being white, would be nice in those few cases. Very easy to use Guitarix!

Glad to hear you like it. Yea, I'll re-check the colors on the tab box headers.

On the road again.
Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

tramp wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:50 am
oddy.o.lynx wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:31 am

As I said, it is disabled. We need curl for download online presets only.

Glad to hear you like it. Yea, I'll re-check the colors on the tab box headers.

The CURL requirement is not unusual. You don’t need to change anything. If you want, you may mention in Github that some distros may need it. Otherwise, don’t worry about it. 🙂 Every Linux Musician should learn how to deal with this issue. It’s a rite of passage. 🙂

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

That said, I’m willing to help those who need help. 🙂

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

purple-black.jpg

I've fixed that now:

btw. the link to the "Latest x86-64 Linux Binary build" on the project page points always to the latest revision of the repository, so that one already contain the fix, in case you want to try it.

On the road again.
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

:D wow brummer, this is the shit! So theoretically, I can load my own guitarix already existing presets (from the main Program) into the DAW using this plugin? If that's so, thank you so Very much, that's going to save me so much time!

You rock!
Att.: Rodney

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Rodney wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:46 am

So theoretically, I can load my own guitarix already existing presets (from the main Program) into the DAW using this plugin?

Yes. Only one drawback, the jcm800pre isn't available in the vst3 version. True, you could load the LV2 version of it to replace it.

On the road again.
a.d.
Established Member

Post by a.d. »

Tramp, I recall you mentioning the jcm800pre in the past. I believe you'd mentioned it was going to get cleaned up. Is this the reason it's not in the VST?

Thank you for making this!

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

tramp wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:08 pm

purple-black.jpg

I've fixed that now:

btw. the link to the "Latest x86-64 Linux Binary build" on the project page points always to the latest revision of the repository, so that one already contain the fix, in case you want to try it.

Perfect! A suggestion about the opening screen: I suspect most users of other amp-sim suites will expect to find a labeled amp selector somewhere handy on the initial gui. I think a third default panel where an amp menu existed, and also selectors for cabinet or IR, would be more direct than finding those choices somewhere among the panels that appear when presets are selected. That may fit the workflow of those with something specific they hope to create or replicate.
Cheers