Hi from Europe

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

nevis
Established Member

Hi from Europe

Post by nevis »

Hi friendly people,

I am new - both here and doing Linux music things.

Looking back at my Linux story:
I bought "S.u.S.E. Linux 5.x" in the late 90s with a student discount. Came in a box! We did not become friends.
Tried again with some "beautiful looking" distros a few years ago. With high precision/utter ineptitude chose distros that were soon after not maintained anymore.
Recently tried Ubuntu/Zorin and that's where I am at right now. Still beginner level.
But hey, Pipewire works.

Looking back at my music story:
Some basic musical key instrument training as a student, then good knowledge of music theory...
...to ignore all of that and become a DJ in the electronic dancing domain with vinyl records in the 90s.
Fun was had, friends were made, lovely connections still to this day. But did not like the "business" part in "music business" and decided to do less of that.
Was a backseat driver in some studios before. Have a vinyl release in the early 2000s to my name. But really somebody very clever was fiddling with knobs and squares on a screen while tolerating my giving "input".

Into the future:
Still, I always was interested in music tech. Got Reaper and Bitwig ages ago, but never managed to have real output. Some beginner hardware synths already exist around me.
Somehow, I am more motivated on my new Linux setup with an AMD 7840HS, 96 GB RAM, SSL2 soundcard to get going deeper again. Let's see.

During the last weeks, I somehow managed to set up Bitwig and Reaper with Pipewire and get yabridge going with most of my Win plugins.
As I dive deeper, I guess more beginner questions will follow soon 8)

Oh, and people usually think I am from the British isles because of my self-deprecating story telling. I can only apologise, I am indeed German. English is not my first language. One theory is that I was switched at birth...

Looking forward to our interactions!

new to all of this

trawglodyte
Established Member

Re: Hi from Europe

Post by trawglodyte »

I'm admiring your RAM from here! DDR5-5600?? OOooohhhh, I like speed!!

nevis
Established Member

Post by nevis »

trawglodyte wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:35 am

I'm admiring your RAM from here! DDR5-5600??

It is 5600, indeed.
Cannot complain about it so far :D

trawglodyte wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:35 am

OOooohhhh, I like speed!!

Let me tell you about the USB4 port and the OCuLink port and the external Radeon RX 7600M XT then, that should arrive soon-ish...

new to all of this

trawglodyte
Established Member

Post by trawglodyte »

nevis wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:19 am

Let me tell you about the USB4 port and the OCuLink port and the external Radeon RX 7600M XT then, that should arrive soon-ish...

I'd love to see a benchmark on the USB4 read/write speeds. My 3.1 Gen 1's write under 10mb/s, not much better than USB 2.0. I don't know if all 3.1 Gen 1 are so slow writing or if it's something with my chipset? B360. I do have 2 - 3.1 Gen 2's but my flash drives are 3.2 Gen 1. They also have slow write speeds with those flash drives. Maybe if I get a Gen 2 flash drive it will go quicker?

I really don't know what the write speeds are supposed to be, haven't found good info on it yet. They always boast about the data transfer rates 5Gb/s, 10Gb/s, 20Gb/s..... somehow leave out that it goes at a snail's pace when you try to save a file on a flash drive plugged into it.

nevis
Established Member

Post by nevis »

trawglodyte wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:59 am

I'd love to see a benchmark on the USB4 read/write speeds.

Here you go:
viewtopic.php?t=26695
Hope this is more useful in a dedicated thread outside my "first hello",

As you said, USB standards and speeds are a well-documented mess.

new to all of this

autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Welcome! Started out with SuSE 5.something too, still have the CD-Roms and book somewhere :roll: And now I'm on a 7840HS :lol:
What kind of GPU do you have? No issues with that? And USB ports work well with your interface? No buffering issues at lower latencies?

nevis
Established Member

Post by nevis »

autostatic wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:24 pm

Welcome!

Thanks!

Started out with SuSE 5.something too, still have the CD-Roms and book somewhere :roll: And now I'm on a 7840HS :lol:

What a funny series of coincidents :)

What kind of GPU do you have? No issues with that? And USB ports work well with your interface? No buffering issues at lower latencies?

At the moment, I am using the integrated GPU until my external one arrives. Everything works smoothly so far - both CPU/GPU and also USB ports. Not recognised any buffer issues yet.

new to all of this

autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

And integrated GPU is a 780M probably? Reason I ask is that 'm experiencing occasional crashes. And the USB ports won't go lower than 4ms latency (64 frames/period at 48kHz) with my USB interface.

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

nevis wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:00 pm

Hi friendly people,

I am new - both here and doing Linux music things.

Looking back at my Linux story:
I bought "S.u.S.E. Linux 5.x" in the late 90s with a student discount. Came in a box! We did not become friends.
Tried again with some "beautiful looking" distros a few years ago. With high precision/utter ineptitude chose distros that were soon after not maintained anymore.
Recently tried Ubuntu/Zorin and that's where I am at right now. Still beginner level.
But hey, Pipewire works.

Looking back at my music story:
Some basic musical key instrument training as a student, then good knowledge of music theory...
...to ignore all of that and become a DJ in the electronic dancing domain with vinyl records in the 90s.
Fun was had, friends were made, lovely connections still to this day. But did not like the "business" part in "music business" and decided to do less of that.
Was a backseat driver in some studios before. Have a vinyl release in the early 2000s to my name. But really somebody very clever was fiddling with knobs and squares on a screen while tolerating my giving "input".

Into the future:
Still, I always was interested in music tech. Got Reaper and Bitwig ages ago, but never managed to have real output. Some beginner hardware synths already exist around me.
Somehow, I am more motivated on my new Linux setup with an AMD 7840HS, 96 GB RAM, SSL2 soundcard to get going deeper again. Let's see.

During the last weeks, I somehow managed to set up Bitwig and Reaper with Pipewire and get yabridge going with most of my Win plugins.
As I dive deeper, I guess more beginner questions will follow soon 8)

Oh, and people usually think I am from the British isles because of my self-deprecating story telling. I can only apologise, I am indeed German. English is not my first language. One theory is that I was switched at birth...

Looking forward to our interactions!

Welcome to the forum! :)