Reaper and top Linux samplers as plugins: how to even set up?

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

pigeonw
Established Member

Re: Reaper and top Linux samplers as plugins: how to even set up?

Post by pigeonw »

Kott wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:33 pm

Passive, aggressive, whatever, but it's an answer to you - if you're unsatisfied - improve it.

1) You can't just expect someone to listen to you while you're being passive aggressive. Do you really need volunteers, or just making another comeback response? Because you can't have your cake and eat it to. You need to be open and not emotional to criticism if you expect the user to do the work instead of the dev. Otherwise you're just creating an echo chamber and not helping things improve.

2) FOSS never improves by just denying issues and/or expecting regular users who have no idea about the answer and that is why they are asking to begin with to do the work of the devs. I've maintained manuals, it never goes well in the long run. It's their project, not mine, they know it best and they're more present during the lifespan of the project to keep it up-to-date. And let's be real, we're talking about a single paragraph, not a 50-page PDF document.

I'm aware enough of "the Linux music production ecosystem" and can assure you that problems have to be fixed on your side, with Fluida fonts, with searching a very basic information (with 15 years of professional work on Linux) and with communicating to people.

And yet here you are, still not providing an answer and making some vague "research it" comment.

You should really do or/then report to the devs, instead of throwing a shit on fan with like:

Oh, forgive me for getting frustrated about something on the internet. Can we move on from talking about how much each of us are offended now?
I'm here to ask if what I need is there or not and how to use it. That's step 1, talking to devs is step 2 which comes after you're sure there's a bug or missing feature. I still have no idea about the font, why it's so, if it can be changed, how. There's no font file in the lv2 folder, no apparent mention of font file in the config text files.

oddy.o.lynx
Established Member

Post by oddy.o.lynx »

I have read most of this thread, small portions but decided to stop as my eyes were rolling so hard it hurt.

Last edited by oddy.o.lynx on Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Babarosa
Established Member

Post by Babarosa »

Back to topic :roll:

The latest precompiled Fluida crashes on my Debian 12 system, because of mismatching fluidsynth versions (v3 :: v2). It works fine although if compiled especially for Debian 12. I also have some scaling issues.

Very good alternatives are:
The "ace-fluidsynth" from Robin "x42" Gareus, it is in the debian repository. I use it all the time on my compositions.
From the same author there is "x42-gmsynth" which installs a default sf2 which you can change.

Edit: Fluida works fine if compiled especially for Debian 12

Last edited by Babarosa on Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Debian 12 - MOTU M4, ESI Maya22 USB - Rosegarden, Reaper

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

pigeonw wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:25 pm
Impostor wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:32 pm

Well, so things do improve on Linux now and then!

Sure. But why must we argue in extremes? Why must it all either suck or all be just fine? Isn't this the most basic false dichotomy?

Where do I argue in extremes? I never said all is fine. Some things on Linux do suck indeed. But for me, things just suck more on Windows than on Linux, so I can put up with it :)

pigeonw wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:25 pm

I'm specifically upset about the state of samplers. The core is there, is great, but when it comes to VSTs/LV2s of samplers, it's a shitty experience. The point is, it doesn't need to be so.

Could be. For sf2 I use MusE's built-in fluidsynth plugin, for sfz I use Sfizz. But I rarely use either anymore.
If you're into sampler based workflow, maybe Renoise is up your alley? It's a tracker based DAW, and apparently, based on forum comments, its sampler capacity is very good. It supports sfz too (although I don't know to what extent*).

*)Edit: Seems Renoise just allows importing sfz as multisample instruments. Not much more than that.
https://forum.renoise.com/t/improved-sfz-support/70871

pigeonw wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:32 pm

Hobbyist and someone with a hobby is not the same. If you're a professional programmer or photographer, you don't become a hobbyist when you do it also in your spare time, you're still a professional. But again, not worth the argument.

Could be. In any case, my description of devs as hobbyists was not meant to imply any amateurism on their part, just the fact that they do their linux coding in their spare time, for fun and a pittance. Of course, there also exist well-funded, even corporate, linux projects, and anything in between.

It's just that for most pro-audio stuff, like jack, qjackctl, carla, hydrogen, and DAWs like qtractor, muse, and most of the available audio plugins, be they synths, effects, or samplers, by people like @rncbc @falktx @Tim E. Real @kott @GMaq @tramp @sadko4u and I could go on for quite a while, they most probably indeed do all that work as a hobby, and I don't think that any donations they may receive would be considered sufficient recompence if their work were done in a professional capacity (that is, as a payed day job).

Last edited by Impostor on Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

This SF2 player is working well in linux Reaper in the newest AVLinux,wrapped by yabridge.
Multi-soundfonts work, presented as a dropdown list in the file selector. I added GX Tremolo
to a vibraphone on one, and Solaris free windows vst reverb to a 12-string guitar on the other one.

DSK SF2-Reaper.jpg
DSK SF2-Reaper.jpg (187.32 KiB) Viewed 1362 times
SF2-effected.jpg
SF2-effected.jpg (174.89 KiB) Viewed 1362 times
Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

pigeonw wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:42 pm

It's their project, not mine, they know it best and they're more present during the lifespan of the project to keep it up-to-date. And let's be real, we're talking about a single paragraph, not a 50-page PDF document.

If even a commercial enterprise like Reaper can't be bothered to update some of their their Wiki pages in 6 years, why expect of small FOSS dev teams they maintain an up-to date manual? I think it would be better if dedicated volunteer users join the effort in creating or maintaining a manual. Let the devs focus on coding.

And the size of the manual depends on the size of the project: look at the hydrogen manual for example. That's not a short paragraph! http://hydrogen-music.org/documentation ... al_en.html

alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

Babarosa wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:34 am

Back to topic :roll:

The latest precompiled Fluida crashes on my Debian 12 system, I guess because of mismatching fluidsynth versions (v3 :: v2).

Very good alternatives are:
The "ace-fluidsynth" from Robin "x42" Gareus, it is in the debian repository. I use it all the time on my compositions.
From the same author there is "x42-gmsynth" which installs a default sf2 which you can change.

Found a problem using ace-fluidsynth in other apps outside of Ardour. The Ardour based gui doesn't show at all, and relies on local alternatives in DAWS like Qtractor and Muse4, which are incomplete. (The channel selections for patches are missing for one example)

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Impostor wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:20 am

It's just that for most pro-audio stuff, like jack, qjackctl, carla, hydrogen, and DAWs like qtractor, muse, and most of the available audio plugins, be they synths, effects, or samplers, by people like @rncbc @falktx @Tim E. Real @kott @GMaq @tramp @sadko4u and I could go on for quite a while, they most probably indeed do all that work as a hobby, and I don't think that any donations they may receive would be considered sufficient recompence if their work were done in a professional capacity (that is, as a payed day job).

If I put all donations I receive for my open source work, together, it wouldn't reach 1 cent per month (before tax). Means, as a professional it's a bankrupt. :lol:

On the road again.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Impostor wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:55 am

If even a commercial enterprise like Reaper...

I suspect Justin's enterprise isn't planning to join the Fortune 500 in 2024. His enterprise is hard work, listening to and responding to users, and being in the right place at the right time with some regularity. :wink:
Cheers

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

glowrak guy wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:34 pm

I suspect Justin's enterprise isn't planning to join the Fortune 500 in 2024. His enterprise is hard work, listening to and responding to users, and being in the right place at the right time with some regularity. :wink:
Cheers

Reaper's a one-man show too? Didn't realize. Thought it was one of the bigger Linux projects. My bad.

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Impostor wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:09 pm

Reaper's a one-man show too?

Nope. It may have started as one, like Ardour, but, Cockos Interoperated isn't a one man show at all. The development team completed as least with John Schwartz, Ollie REAPen, White Tie, Geoffrey Francis and Kenny Gioia while others contribute as well.

On the road again.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Justin also already made his fortune before working on Reaper.

Babarosa
Established Member

Post by Babarosa »

@ Alex Stone:

Found a problem using ace-fluidsynth in other apps outside of Ardour. The Ardour based gui doesn't show at all, and relies on local alternatives in DAWS like Qtractor and Muse4, which are incomplete. (The channel selections for patches are missing for one example)

Using Reaper it looks like this and with ReaControlMIDI I can do what I need:

Ace fluidsynth plus ReaControlMIDI
Ace fluidsynth plus ReaControlMIDI
Ace fluidsynth + ReaControlMIDI.png (145.93 KiB) Viewed 628 times

Debian 12 - MOTU M4, ESI Maya22 USB - Rosegarden, Reaper

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Impostor wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:09 pm
glowrak guy wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:34 pm

Cheers

Reaper's a one-man show too? Didn't realize. Thought it was one of the bigger Linux projects. My bad.

Reaper was a windows daw project that started around the time when Justin sold rights to a successful app. Right place, right time. I have used very little of Reaper beyond basic tracks, and live recording. Mac support arrived later. Linux came later. And LV2 support after that! It's great that several people contibute at various levels. And great that Justin has actively supported his linux version. Kenny's videos really help get through all those menus and capabilities! The reaplugs and stash are great examples of community support.

Linux users have a great selection of daws in 2024, with quite drastic differences in their approach to creating and recording music.
If you don't like one, there are several more with different work flows and presentation.
Cheers