AV Linux MX Edition 23.1 (AVL-MXe) Released!

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

Re: AV Linux MX Edition 23.1 (AVL-MXe) Released!

Post by GMaq »

sjzstudio wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:10 am

Will this update to the MX-23.2 base itself in the future?

Yes, regular repository updates will automatically bring in the MX-23.2 base update.

RyanH
Established Member

Post by RyanH »

Congratulations on the (what I would consider fairly big) publicity!

https://www.zdnet.com/article/this-linu ... -paradise/

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

8) Nice and accurate! 8) Hopefully more such reviews will follow. A brief walkabout on the site shows a wide range of content.
Cheers

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Here is the new AVLinux with some excellent plugins loaded in linux Reaper, wrapped by yabridge. (It shows part of the xfce desktop, which I chose to use, which has a set of default functions well suited to my simple workflow.)

SM-29-Coco-Solaris.jpg
SM-29-Coco-Solaris.jpg (68.46 KiB) Viewed 1486 times
Last edited by glowrak guy on Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

qpwgraph-1.jpeg
qpwgraph-1.jpeg (245.47 KiB) Viewed 1590 times

Getting to grips with the new pipewire reality.....

And for those who are curious, here's the link for Non-Mixer-XT, an upgrade on Male's excellent original, that now includes the ability to use LV2, CLAP, and VST3 plugins.

https://github.com/Stazed/non-mixer-xt

Last edited by alex stone on Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

For such large productions, maybe an older but large monitor would allow placing elements without the curvatures, while still having text labels easily read...
I'm assuming you can snapshot that graph setup for repeated use. Maybe those with modern hi-res monitors will describe their efforts and readability results?
Nice to see orchestration at work!
Cheers

alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

glowrak guy wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:10 am

For such large productions, maybe an older but large monitor would allow placing elements without the curvatures, while still having text labels easily read...
I'm assuming you can snapshot that graph setup for repeated use. Maybe those with modern hi-res monitors will describe their efforts and readability results?
Nice to see orchestration at work!
Cheers

This is a test setup on a fairly tiny monitor. I agree that running this on a large monitor would be more suitable, especially because this is a tryout with Paul Battersby's VPO, and once I've built the real thing, with all my Gig and SFZ files, I'll need the extra space.

http://virtualplaying.com/virtual-playing-orchestra/

You can set everything up, and then save the graph. If at any time, when you start everything up, connections don't appear automatically, then you press the Activate button, and the saved graph will reconnect. It works, and does so repeatedly. Not only that, you can have more than one graph. If you look at the dropdown box next to the Open entry, you'll see "orchestra-1-fullaudio". That's just one of 4 graphs i've built so far, in my experiments. Next to the Save button you'll see the entry "Activated". That's where you can reset connections according to the graph you designate.

Rui has made this stuff easier, and for that he has my continued respect and thanks. When you're dealing with a small number of ports and connections, this stuff doesn't seem so important, but on a larger scale, those tools save a lot of time, and angst.

Out of the blocks with AVL-MXDE 23.1, there's been a bit of noise about the unfamiliarity of the desktop, and the cautious (some might say skeptical) approach to the inclusion of Pipewire. I sympathize with those who have problems with a black screen, etc. It's happened to me in the past, and it's not pleasant.

However, for every bad news tale, there are good news ones as well, and as someone who regularly (and i've been accused of being relentless before now) tests apps to potential destruction, and beyond, AND a vigorous defender of Jack, particularly for larger setups, I can say i've been pleasantly surprised with 23.1, and pleased a potential pipewire crisis, didn't happen.

Here at least, it just works, and I can get on with actually using the apps devs have built, and not spend time constantly trying to "fix" things. (Outside of enthusiastic Feature Requests which will continue, hehe.)

As the best folk say,

Onwards and Upwards.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

alex stone wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:03 am

qpwgraph-1.jpeg

Patchbay as a work of art. Should be displayed in a gallery!

sjzstudio
Established Member

Post by sjzstudio »

And it works. The first test, a drum cover like that.
All AVL MXe 23.1

MrZed
Established Member

Post by MrZed »

As a diehard XFCE user, I'm slowly getting my head around using the Enlightenment DE ... yes, it's very snappy and lightweight! My first encounter didn't go so well yet I managed to record and post my tribulations here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve5rbe1KZlI :?

Now I'll be experimenting with some audio apps and routing with Pipewire ...

MrZed
Established Member

Post by MrZed »

Hello GMaq!
Excellent ... flawless performance on my rig! When needed I can use QjackCtl and route apps without a hitch ... PipeWire obviously runs in the background and I can use Jack as I've always done before ... Video creation poses no probs either.

Simple question ... I notice that there is a more recent version of PipeWire as well as Wine-Staging (apparently this version is a huge improvement) in the Test Repo ... Would you advise the upgrade? Personally, since everything runs smoothly as is, I don't want to potentially nuke things. Just your thoughts ...

TNX again

Zeke

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

A lot depends on what you need. If there are crucial capabilities you are missing, you can find the wine changelogs and see if they are mentioned in the fixes and new features. If you can spring for a drive or ssd in a usb case, you could have a second AVL install for such experiments, and then copy proven successes between them. Less drama, more A/V :wink:
Mi dos centavos

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

MrZed wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:48 pm

Hello GMaq!
Excellent ... flawless performance on my rig! When needed I can use QjackCtl and route apps without a hitch ... PipeWire obviously runs in the background and I can use Jack as I've always done before ... Video creation poses no probs either.

Simple question ... I notice that there is a more recent version of PipeWire as well as Wine-Staging (apparently this version is a huge improvement) in the Test Repo ... Would you advise the upgrade? Personally, since everything runs smoothly as is, I don't want to potentially nuke things. Just your thoughts ...

TNX again

Zeke

Nice, thanks for giving it a chance!

All I can really advise is this; The MX devs are generally pretty careful about what they put into MX-Test so I think you should be OK with updating, but again as @glowrak guy noted it's probably best to check the release notes of the projects themselves... For example if a PipeWire update has a new language translation and support for hardware you don't currently use (ie FireWire) and nothing else it really is of no benefit to upgrade..

On my Studio box I generally install, configure and if everything works I only update the browser occasionally and leave it that way for years, on my Dev box I'm a lot more adventurous. I can never argue with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" approach in all areas of life.. Linux users have a very high incidence of FOMO so that advice usually falls on deaf ears... :lol:

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

@GMaq I feel like I owe you an apology: I made a bigger step in trying to work with AVL/MX 23.1 than I was ready for, and reacted too quickly:

• I installed it on my "main" drive, which meant it intercepted the normal EFI/grub dance: the only way I found to back that out was to nuke the boot partition from space and run a boot repair.
  • Inside the booted 23.1 install, the combination of Pipewire and Enlightenment blew my own (sadly diminished over time) stack for managing the state of the OS. Just for future reference (I apologize abjectly if earlier posts suggested that you must / ought to do it my way), I would have found it easier do deal with only one of the two big changes (Enlightenment DE, Pipewire) at a time.

I'm truly sorry if my emitted-in-the-moment feedback came across as "shitting on your work" -- that kind of feedback is the last thing I wanted to give you. I've been the recipient of enough of that kind of response in my own F/LOSS career to be truly, deeply sorry to have given it to another volunteer.

My current plan is to try installing AVL MX 23.1 to an external SSD, which will let me give it a fairer trial without feeling the need to blow it away if I need to get on with my normal songwriting / audio production work.

Tres.

Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
AlkuK
Established Member

Post by AlkuK »

Audiojunkie wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:39 pm

Maybe:

AV Linux -- Works for sure! ...just like a Finnish train toilet! :D

2024-wise, that "proverb" is old hat, compadres. It refers to an earlier time, when Finnish trains had a good ol' hole in the floor, in lieu of the saxonesque pipery they now sport.

Woot-woo'.