4 speaker outputs from 2 channels USB in on Alesis io4 and pipewire--how?

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

chrisco23
Established Member

4 speaker outputs from 2 channels USB in on Alesis io4 and pipewire--how?

Post by chrisco23 »

I've had the Alesis io4 for years but never totally mastered it.

At the moment I've been using running laptop -> io4 -> Harman Kardon amp -> 2 floor speakers.

I'm running pipewire and consistently I've been using EasyEffects with a compressor effect. But I don't have to be.

I will be using Bitwig again soon but I have a more immediate problem: switch speakers at night so as to not bother neighbors.

Two that end I have purchased a couple powered Edifiers (I'll get better monitor/bookshelf soon but these are ok for now).

So the 2 main channels in question (just for youtube, Strawberry or VLC, etc) go as described above.

I just need to be able to switch to the bookshelf speakers late night. Ideally I'd like to use a little of each (ie mostly bookshelf at night).

I had almost this setup before but that was before I switched to Pipewire.

I have Pipewire and pipewire-pulse and I can run pavucontrol. With pavucontrol I only seem to get sound when I have the io4 set to "Pro Audio".

Channels 3 & 4 of the io4 are marked "USB". I don't want any USB out from the io4 at all, only audio out.

Can it be done? If not, if I purchased a FocusRite 4i4 would that make life easier? The only inputs to the audio device I want to use right now are the laptop USB connections.

sunrat
Established Member

Re: 4 speaker outputs from 2 channels USB in on Alesis io4 and pipewire--how?

Post by sunrat »

I reckon it would be easiest to just y-split the outputs, then turn the amp off and the Edifiers on when you want to use them, or vice-versa.
Or if you want to do it in software you could save wire sets in qpwgraph and switch between them.

chrisco23
Established Member

Post by chrisco23 »

Thanks, yeah, I've run qpwgraph a bit and I like it but with pipewire, sometimes easyeffects, it's prob. more than I can deal with, wires everywhere.

Your first thought, by "y-split", do you mean physically? the cables? New term for me.

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

chrisco23 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:43 am

Your first thought, by "y-split", do you mean physically? the cables? New term for me.

Yes, something like this - https://hosatech.com/products/analog-au ... s/ypp-111/
I looked up the specs for io4 and it only has 2 TS main outputs so it wouldn't be possible in software.

chrisco23
Established Member

Post by chrisco23 »

ah so if I get what you're saying then, one of those to split each channel into 2...

I had been also wondering about say Focusrite 4i4 or whatever it is, or similar.

Do you or anybody know, would that be different situation? or same?

autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

This interface has 4 outputs, a 2 channel "Main" output and a 2 channel "USB" output. From what I understand the USB outputs should output normal output, TRS connections are not covered by the USB specifications :wink: Also Alesis states the following:

Producers and musicians will appreciate the ability to connect a second pair of reference monitors or route audio to external effects processors using iO4’s four available output channels.

So I assume 2 of those 4 channels are the "Main" output and the other 2 the "USB" ones. Did you already try those "USB" outputs?
And also check https://7132afa424c2f1a2ab6d-54d68a14e2 ... x_knob.pdf
I think this document explains what you want and it also affirms my assumptions.

chrisco23
Established Member

Post by chrisco23 »

Thanks the detailed response and yes I think you're right there.

I had had all four outs going at some point but I can't remember exactly how and now dealing with different laptop, pipewire, wireplumber, etc.

I'll take a look into some more of this info and report back.