Boss GX-100 "Rec-Out/Phones"?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

D-Tuned
Established Member

Boss GX-100 "Rec-Out/Phones"?

Post by D-Tuned »

My Me80 has a "Rec-Out/Phones" line which includes AMP simulation. I can plug it into my soundcard Line-In port. This is handy as it lets the Me80 also play as an audio interface and I don't have to connect via the also provided USB line to a computer USB port (useless in Linux anyway). I'm now casing a GX-100 as a possible replacement for the Me80 but it does NOT have such a "Rec-Out/Phones" line, only "Headset" one. Is this equivalent for all intent and purpose (amp simulation is done elsewhere in the GX-100 I think)?

Artificial-Stupidity will never be competitive
D-Tuned
Established Member

Re: Boss GX-100 "Rec-Out/Phones"?

Post by D-Tuned »

The answer I got elsewhere is "that is the output to use with a headset or as an AUX signal fed to an amp".

I like this unit, it makes Windows and MacOS redundant, I can do everything with my android phone and bluetooth (if I understand correctly). As an example, I can juggle the effects on the unit touch-screen OR on my smartphone via bluetooth, and also send the ouput to the smarphone and from there into the amp in another room. This would allow me to keep the board in my study but play anywhere within bluetooth range?

merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

D-Tuned wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:40 pm

... As an example, I can juggle the effects on the unit touch-screen OR on my smartphone via bluetooth, and also send the ouput to the smarphone and from there into the amp in another room. ...

I wouldn't think so. Latency on Bluetooth is bad. Unusably bad. If you have a Bluetooth speaker, try playing a YouTube video on it, while watching the video on your phone. You will see the audio and video are out of sync.

What Bluetooth is for here is to control the effects pedal, and latency isn't important for that. If there is Bluetooth audio, then the use of that would be, e.g. to send backing tracks from a phone to the GX-100, which would then come out the connected amp.

D-Tuned
Established Member

Post by D-Tuned »

merlyn wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:39 am
D-Tuned wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:40 pm

... As an example, I can juggle the effects on the unit touch-screen OR on my smartphone via bluetooth, and also send the ouput to the smarphone and from there into the amp in another room. ...

I wouldn't think so. Latency on Bluetooth is bad. Unusably bad. If you have a Bluetooth speaker, try playing a YouTube video on it, while watching the video on your phone. You will see the audio and video are out of sync.

What Bluetooth is for here is to control the effects pedal, and latency isn't important for that. If there is Bluetooth audio, then the use of that would be, e.g. to send backing tracks from a phone to the GX-100, which would then come out the connected amp.

Good to know, well it was nice while it was nice. At least I can create and I think download presets without a computer per-se which is already better than the Me80 was. I say was because I got my gx-100 yesterday. I have virtualbox aboard as well so I'll see if I can set up w10 on it next month.

As for the output to my sound-card In port I tried both the Phones and the normal L-Mono out-ports, both worked. I think I'll need a single mono to single stereo adapter though.

PS. for those looking into this board, what appears to be the 600mb source (android?) code is downloadable

https://www.boss.info/ca/support/by_pro ... 76643b566/