Absent friends....?

Completely and utterly unrelated.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

tseaver
Established Member

Absent friends....?

Post by tseaver »

First, let us raise a glass in honor of all those LinuxMusicians who no longer add life and spice to the community here.

Second: I must've missed it, but I cannot find the profile page for @j_e_f_f_g any longer -- has he "left the building"? Seems very unlike him, somehow, to have requested a profile deletion.

Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
sunrat
Established Member

Re: Absent friends....?

Post by sunrat »

tseaver wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:25 pm

First, let us raise a glass in honor of all those LinuxMusicians who no longer add life and spice to the community here.

Second: I must've missed it, but I cannot find the profile page for @j_e_f_f_g any longer -- has he "left the building"? Seems very unlike him, somehow, to have requested a profile deletion.

He has left the building. Involuntarily.

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

He has left the building. Involuntarily.

Urgh.... I'm not sure how to parse that sentence. If that means that his sometimes-contentious-but-often-useful voice has been silenced here.... then I cannot but feel that we are the poorer for it.

OTOH, if his silence is due to factors beyond our writ here in this board, then "fair winds and following seas!" seems appropriate.

Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi @tseaver

If I have the order right... and I'm just reporting the sequence of events as an observer without opinion one way or the other... He was suspended because things were getting pretty acrimonious in quite a few threads and there were understandably complaints, he was briefly reinstated and almost instantly hit a nerve and that as they say was that and there could be a LOT of details that I don't know of on both sides..

Since I have a lot of his impressive amount work on my hosting and no personal axe to grind I was hoping to keep in touch but things have been quiet from his end. I didn't love the division and continual bickering but he spent countless hours on his SFZ's and LV2's and put much more time giving to the community than taking away from it and while I respect what decisions have been made I do miss his irreverence..

Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

He's a classic internet "know it all" bully. The pipewire thread is a good example of how, he has written essay length criticisms of something to the developer when he hadn't even used the thing. If he is questioned, he will try to get personal , even demanding to know people's nationalities so he can be make stupid statements about that. He tries to pass off that as friendly banter but he is never the friend of people he's doing it too, it was just excuses for bullying behaviour. Always fond of dishing it out but reacted badly when getting it back. You might find is "irreverent" or "contentious" but it was actually obnoxious and I am sure he is responsible for a lot of people just quietly leaving this place over the many years he was allowed to continue his behaviour.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

I've always liked and appreciated j.e.f.f.g.'s input. Some people just take themselves too seriously here.

Some bickering threads were rather embarrassing, but not only due to jeff's input.

merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

It was Pipewire what done it. Pipewire collided with jeff's massive ego. The ego is interested in two things -- looking good and being right. Who is right is not as important as what is right, but once the ego gets involved it can be hard for a person to back down.

Jeff had posted for years how shit JACK is. He was wrong, and Pipewire made his position untenable. The solution to the Linux sound server issue was ... another sound server. That's the way it is, and it seemed to drive him bonkers, causing him to flail around in an attempt to cover up the fact that he had been posting garbage for years.

A better outcome may have been if he had been able to stay and behave himself, but he couldn't do that, as he had to be right, even when he was wrong.

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

In last weeks when he was in board, he somehow started to focus much on artix_linux_user who had many annoying posts, and jeffg also made few new threads which were only harrassing artix. Jeffg started to act like 'who will be more stupid/annoying person on the forum' contest participant, and those two together produced much of crappy content. Both of them also posted good content, but somehow they managed to spank worst out of each other. Artix requested removal of his own account.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

merlyn wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:39 am

Jeff had posted for years how shit JACK is. He was wrong, and Pipewire made his position untenable.

This seems contradictory. Jack's apparently shit enough for some people to attempt to replace it with Pipewire.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Largos wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:14 am

The pipewire thread is a good example of how, he has written essay length criticisms of something to the developer when he hadn't even used the thing.

You don't need to have personal experience with something to criticise the ideas behind it. And that's exactly what Jeff did, afaik.

merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

I would think that it's difficult to defend JACK is Hannibal Lector with an ear fetish, but I can't wait to read what you've got to say about that.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

merlyn wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:19 pm

I would think that it's difficult to defend JACK is Hannibal Lector with an ear fetish, but I can't wait to read what you've got to say about that.

I'm not sure why you seem to think I'd feel the need to defend any particular post from someone, anyone, else. I'm not here to defend Jeff or his opinions. I'm just here to give my opinion.

But since you ask: I'm reading a very opinionated post using hyperbole for humorous effect (the title is sort of a giveaway). That's all I read into it.

merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

Bit of a laugh, eh? Mixed in with misinformation and FUD. JACK doesn't add latency, and I don't think there's any way you could construe that as a joke.

That's enough from me.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

merlyn wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:53 pm

Bit of a laugh, eh? Mixed in with misinformation and FUD. JACK doesn't add latency, and I don't think there's any way you could construe that as a joke.

That's enough from me.

Well, that post is like two years old. Time to let go and get on with life?

Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

tavasti wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:42 am

In last weeks when he was in board, he somehow started to focus much on artix_linux_user who had many annoying posts, and jeffg also made few new threads which were only harrassing artix. Jeffg started to act like 'who will be more stupid/annoying person on the forum' contest participant, and those two together produced much of crappy content. Both of them also posted good content, but somehow they managed to spank worst out of each other. Artix requested removal of his own account.

He focused on artix like he focused on anyone who challenged his behaviour.

Impostor wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:00 pm

You don't need to have personal experience with something to criticise the ideas behind it. And that's exactly what Jeff did, afaik.

He never used it, didn't know anything about it but still feels it's ok to try and lecture a developer of software used by millions. On the same thread he makes personal comments on the ALSA dev who isn't even here and why would devs come to a forum if it is allowed to say stuff like that. People who are willing to develop things as complex as ALSA, JACK and Pipewire are not exactly plentiful. They don't deserve to have their time wasted dealing with a disrespectful layman's opinion of how things should be.