The Superpiano

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sofia-m
Established Member

The Superpiano

Post by sofia-m »

Hi,

I dug into my raw recording material and cut a new patch with the following features:

Castel Volturno Grand Piano 2.0 BETA.

1969 C. Bechstein D282 Concert Grand .

Recorded at 24 bit, 48 kHz in Castel Volturno, Italy.

1211 samples in 24 bit, 48 kHz .wav format., 4.3 GB.

20 velocity layers, sampled in minor thirds from the lowest C.

Pedal up and pedal down samples.

Simulated half pedal and soft pedal.

Note, BETA is the operative word here. Bugs should be expected.

You can listen to a cool jazz demo and download the ZIP file from Sourceforge here:

https://luciphercode.wixsite.com/sofia-mz/testing

I look forward to your feedback.

Cheers.

Sofia

PS - Sorry about the hyperbolic title 🙂

Last edited by sofia-m on Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
luciorgomes
Established Member

Re: The Superpiano

Post by luciorgomes »

Thanks sofia-m!

The piano sounds are excepcional! Didn't hear any problems with the samples.

But I've got this errors/warnings when loading it:

On Linuxsampler it doesn't work (via Qsampler):

Code: Select all

Loading sfz file '/mnt/HD Externo/Samples/Sfz/CV_Grand_PIano-2.0-BETA/CV_Grand_Piano_with_noise-2.0-BETA.sfz'...The opcode 'curve_index' in section <curve> is unsupported by libsfz!
sfz::Engine error: Failed to load instrument, cause: Line 34: Expected an integer

With liquidsfz (via Carla) it runs but with this warnings:

======= Logs cleared ========
[liquidsfz::warning] /run/media/luciorg/HD Externo/Samples/Sfz/CV_Grand_PIano-2.0-BETA/CV_Grand_Piano-2.0-BETA.sfz: line 34: unsupported opcode 'sustain_cc'
[liquidsfz::warning] /run/media/luciorg/HD Externo/Samples/Sfz/CV_Grand_PIano-2.0-BETA/CV_Grand_Piano-2.0-BETA.sfz: line 35: unsupported opcode 'ampeg_dynamic'
[liquidsfz::warning] /run/media/luciorg/HD Externo/Samples/Sfz/CV_Grand_PIano-2.0-BETA/CV_Grand_Piano-2.0-BETA.sfz: line 36: unsupported opcode 'ampeg_release_shape'
[liquidsfz::warning] /run/media/luciorg/HD Externo/Samples/Sfz/CV_Grand_PIano-2.0-BETA/CV_Grand_Piano-2.0-BETA.sfz: line 771: unsupported opcode 'sustain_cc'
[liquidsfz::warning] /run/media/luciorg/HD Externo/Samples/Sfz/CV_Grand_PIano-2.0-BETA/CV_Grand_Piano-2.0-BETA.sfz: line 772: unsupported opcode 'ampeg_dynamic'
[liquidsfz::warning] /run/media/luciorg/HD Externo/Samples/Sfz/CV_Grand_PIano-2.0-BETA/CV_Grand_Piano-2.0-BETA.sfz: line 773: unsupported opcode 'ampeg_release_shape'
[liquidsfz::warning] /run/media/luciorg/HD Externo/Samples/Sfz/CV_Grand_PIano-2.0-BETA/CV_Grand_Piano-2.0-BETA.sfz: line 1508: unsupported opcode 'sustain_cc'
[liquidsfz::warning] /run/media/luciorg/HD Externo/Samples/Sfz/CV_Grand_PIano-2.0-BETA/CV_Grand_Piano-2.0-BETA.sfz: line 1509: unsupported opcode 'ampeg_dynamic'
[liquidsfz::warning] /run/media/luciorg/HD Externo/Samples/Sfz/CV_Grand_PIano-2.0-BETA/CV_Grand_Piano-2.0-BETA.sfz: line 1510: unsupported opcode 'ampeg_release_shape'
[liquidsfz::warning] /run/media/luciorg/HD Externo/Samples/Sfz/CV_Grand_PIano-2.0-BETA/CV_Grand_Piano-2.0-BETA.sfz: line 2245: unsupported opcode 'sustain_cc'
[liquidsfz::warning] /run/media/luciorg/HD Externo/Samples/Sfz/CV_Grand_PIano-2.0-BETA/CV_Grand_Piano-2.0-BETA.sfz: line 2246: unsupported opcode 'ampeg_dynamic'
[liquidsfz::warning] /run/media/luciorg/HD Externo/Samples/Sfz/CV_Grand_PIano-2.0-BETA/CV_Grand_Piano-2.0-BETA.sfz: line 2247: unsupported opcode 'ampeg_release_shape'
[liquidsfz::warning] /run/media/luciorg/HD Externo/Samples/Sfz/CV_Grand_PIano-2.0-BETA/CV_Grand_Piano_with_noise-2.0-BETA.sfz: line 34: unsupported opcode 'sustain_cc'
[liquidsfz::warning] /run/media/luciorg/HD Externo/Samples/Sfz/CV_Grand_PIano-2.0-BETA/CV_Grand_Piano_with_noise-2.0-BETA.sfz: line 35: unsupported opcode 'ampeg_dynamic'
[liquidsfz::warning] /run/media/luciorg/HD Externo/Samples/Sfz/CV_Grand_PIano-2.0-BETA/CV_Grand_Piano_with_noise-2.0-BETA.sfz: line 36: unsupported opcode 'ampeg_release_shape'
[liquidsfz::warning] /run/media/luciorg/HD Externo/Samples/Sfz/CV_Grand_PIano-2.0-BETA/CV_Grand_Piano_with_noise-2.0-BETA.sfz: line 771: unsupported opcode 'sustain_cc'
[liquidsfz::warning] /run/media/luciorg/HD Externo/Samples/Sfz/CV_Grand_PIano-2.0-BETA/CV_Grand_Piano_with_noise-2.0-BETA.sfz: line 772: unsupported opcode 'ampeg_dynamic'
[liquidsfz::warning] /run/media/luciorg/HD Externo/Samples/Sfz/CV_Grand_PIano-2.0-BETA/CV_Grand_Piano_with_noise-2.0-BETA.sfz: line 773: unsupported opcode 'ampeg_release_shape'
[liquidsfz::warning] /run/media/luciorg/HD Externo/Samples/Sfz/CV_Grand_PIano-2.0-BETA/CV_Grand_Piano_with_noise-2.0-BETA.sfz: line 1508: unsupported opcode 'sustain_cc'
[liquidsfz::warning] /run/media/luciorg/HD Externo/Samples/Sfz/CV_Grand_PIano-2.0-BETA/CV_Grand_Piano_with_noise-2.0-BETA.sfz: line 1509: unsupported opcode 'ampeg_dynamic'
[liquidsfz::warning] /run/media/luciorg/HD Externo/Samples/Sfz/CV_Grand_PIano-2.0-BETA/CV_Grand_Piano_with_noise-2.0-BETA.sfz: line 1510: unsupported opcode 'ampeg_release_shape'
[liquidsfz::warning] /run/media/luciorg/HD Externo/Samples/Sfz/CV_Grand_PIano-2.0-BETA/CV_Grand_Piano_with_noise-2.0-BETA.sfz: line 2245: unsupported opcode 'sustain_cc'
[liquidsfz::warning] /run/media/luciorg/HD Externo/Samples/Sfz/CV_Grand_PIano-2.0-BETA/CV_Grand_Piano_with_noise-2.0-BETA.sfz: line 2246: unsupported opcode 'ampeg_dynamic'
[liquidsfz::warning] /run/media/luciorg/HD Externo/Samples/Sfz/CV_Grand_PIano-2.0-BETA/CV_Grand_Piano_with_noise-2.0-BETA.sfz: line 2247: unsupported opcode 'ampeg_release_shape'

With sfizz it loads with no warnings or errors.

nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

luciorgomes wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:25 pm

But I've got this errors/warnings when loading it:
On Linuxsampler it doesn't work (via Qsampler):
With liquidsfz (via Carla) it runs but with this warnings:

Linuxsampler is not FOSS and liquidsfz is just underdeveloped. The errors and warnings have nothing to do with with piano itself.

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

@luciorgomes

You might try opening the *.sfz file(s) in a text editor and deleting the <curve> stanza. On at least one earlier release, that stanza appeared not to be used at all: viewtopic.php?p=161256#p161256

Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
luciorgomes
Established Member

Post by luciorgomes »

Thanks @tseaver
My intent was just to give some feedback to @sofia-m (as he said it was a beta version) to eventual improvements of the already excellent sampled piano.

tseaver wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:38 am

@luciorgomes

You might try opening the *.sfz file(s) in a text editor and deleting the <curve> stanza. On at least one earlier release, that stanza appeared not to be used at all: viewtopic.php?p=161256#p161256

sofia-m
Established Member

Post by sofia-m »

@luciorgomes Thanks for your feedback. I use Liquidsfz myself and get the same messages, and indeed deleted them from my own SFZs. The opcodes should work on other more compliant SFZ players though.

varpa
Established Member

Post by varpa »

The piano samples sound very good. I have found a problem in liquidsfz, however - if the sustain pedal is down and play 1 or more notes and the you release the pedal, the notes continue to play which they should not. However if you play and hold down a note then hit sustain, then release notes, then release sustain, then notes stop, as they should.

I also tried the piano in sforzando (running via yabridge). Here there was no problem with the sustain pedal. I did notice some other issues. Defining middle C as C4, I found that for note Db5 and above there is an extra "whoosh" sound when you push a key down, that is not present on lower notes. Maybe this is the sound of a damper being released. I noticed that your SM Grand also has this sound, but not as loud so I guess this sound is normal. A bigger issue is that for Bb5 and above the notes are very short which makes the piano sound like a marimba. Below this the piano sounds great.

Thanks for all the work recording these pianos. Very much appreciated.

sofia-m
Established Member

Post by sofia-m »

@varpa Some opcodes are not supported by Liquisfz and might cause the problem you report.
Try deleting (or commenting out) the following lines:

sustain_cc=90 		
ampeg_dynamic=1  	
ampeg_release_shape=-6 	
ampeg_releasecc64=15 	
ampeg_release_curvecc64=11 

In the SFZ file and see if the sustain pedal issue is solved.

As for the sample length in the higher octaves, please check out this thread https://pianoclack.com/forum/d/1152-my- ... braries/32 and let e know if the solution in the last post applies to you too.

amc252
Established Member

Post by amc252 »

//sustain_cc=90 		//re-route default sustain pedal to CC90

Seems to be unsupported on Linuxsampler too.

stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

So what sfz player would you praise ?

sofia-m
Established Member

Post by sofia-m »

I think they are all good but different.

I like Liquidsfz cause it's handy to use from the terminal as a standalone. It doesn't support a few opcodes, true, perhaps because the developer's priority seems to be integration with the Anklang VST, but it's getting there.
Linuxsampler is very solid and the quality of the sound is very good. It seems to be meant to be used with an interface, which at times is less than ideal for quickly testing libraries as I often do.
Sfizz is perhaps the most SFZ compliant, but needs a plugin host. I use carla and it works just fine, but I don't use it too often ´cause I'm on the terminal most of the time.

Which one do you like best?

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

@sofia-m

Sfizz is perhaps the most SFZ compliant, but needs a plugin host.

FWIW, sfizz comes with a command-line utility, sfizz_jack, which I use for quick testing from the command line, via this script (which you would need to tweak to use the name of your MIDI controller, rather than the system:midi_capture_4 I use):

$ cat bin/sfizz_test.sh
#! /bin/bash
# Test an SFZ file using sfizz_jack
echo Starting sfizz_jack
/usr/bin/sfizz_jack --jack_autoconnect $* 2>/dev/null  > /dev/null &
sfj_pid=$!
sleep 2
echo Connecting sfizz to keyboard
/usr/bin/jack_connect system:midi_capture_4 sfizz:input
echo Connected
wait -n

Because it waits for the child process to terminate (so that Ctrl-C will stop it), the script hogs a terminal. You can delete the wait -n at the end, at which point you'll need to killall sfizz_jack to stop the sampler.

kobraji
Established Member

Post by kobraji »

any possibility to port your beautiful pianos to rhapsody player from HISE creator?
It is a free and opensource player and would reduce the disk size significantly,
rhapsody seems to be the only true opensource kontakt alternative, something I thought would be HISE at some point.

https://librewave.com/rhapsody/

sofia-m
Established Member

Post by sofia-m »

@tseaver
Neat script, thank you!

@kobraji
Not at the moment. I'm presently very busy with school. The little time I can dedicate to this project is devoted to cutting the enhanced 2.0 versions of all the pianos.
But, although I'm not familiar with it, the rhapsody player seems intriguing.

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

@kobraji perhaps @d.healey could point us to the docs for building a Rhapsody library? I have a suspicion that they don't (yet) exist, and am not competent enough with HISE's programming model to reverse engineer them from the sources.