alsa_in when you need an extra set of hands

Post fully complete "how to" guides and tutorials here. This is a great place to get feedback on stuff you might put in the wiki.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

glowrak guy
Established Member

alsa_in when you need an extra set of hands

Post by glowrak guy »

I found this alsa_in command a long while back, and modified it for My Fender Mustang usb guitar amp.

/usr/bin/alsa_in -j mustang -d hw:0,0 "Amplifier.0" -q 1 2>&1 1> /dev/null

and it's still useful letting me have my midi keyboard and usb guitar amp as separate input devices for simultaneous
use in Reaper, in this case. So when a musician friend stops by, and you want to record a duo,
it's pretty easy hook up your gear, launch qjackctl, note the gear titles, and change the command a bit, as needed.

Or if alone, and you have synths with a latch-mode, or a sequencer or a drum-machine running, they can play on the midi side,
while jamming the guitar part in an audio track. A nice practice/recording scenario. Several brands of older usb guitar amps
may also work, in the $50-$250 price range. Line6, Peavey, Boss, Yamaha etc. Sounds can further be modded by rakarrack
or guitarix or calf etc

guitar-keys.jpg
guitar-keys.jpg (216.55 KiB) Viewed 1676 times
Last edited by glowrak guy on Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
RyanH
Established Member

Re: alsa_in when you need an extra set of hands

Post by RyanH »

That is a very useful tip! I use it on the other side, for alsa_out, when I want to put a software synth through a hardware effects processor and back in to the computer.

My method:

cat /proc/asound/cards ... to figure out the number of the interface I have Jack using as my soundcard and the number of the extra interface. (Let's say the extra interface is the 3rd device cat lists.) Then...

alsa_out -d hw:3

From there, in qjackctl, I plug the synth in to alsa_out, run a patch cord from the headphone jack of the alsa_out interface to the effect processor, then plug the effects processor into the main interface ("System" in qjackctl). (Warning: your synth is now a mono instrument.)

I don't remember where or why I first encountered this tip, but it was by a Linux musician named Justin who makes music and Youtube videos under the name Demonic Sweaters. Thanks Justin! Thanks Glowrak Guy!

glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: alsa_in when you need an extra set of hands

Post by glowrak guy »

Thanks for the reminder and practcal example of alsa_out! I do have some things I'd like to make use of in that way.
There are some greaty bargains on rack effects that were used on hits in past decades!
Cheers