Fender Mustang LT25

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

mindhog
Established Member

Fender Mustang LT25

Post by mindhog »

Hey all. Does anyone here have a Fender Mustang LT25 that they've tried talking to over USB from Linux?

They claim that it "just works" on a Mac but that it requires a special ASIO driver (which doesn't appear to exist at the link specified in the manual). I'm guessing that it's probably just class-compliant but I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the amp?

Basslint
Established Member

Re: Fender Mustang LT25

Post by Basslint »

https://github.com/offa/plug

This is the software which supports most Fender Mustang amps. It seems from an open bug report that your model is not supported. But you could help the developer implement support for it, it seems like it is actively developed.

The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
mindhog
Established Member

Post by mindhog »

Cool. Thanks, Basslint!

Actually, it looks like that bug report is for the Rumble (the bass version of the amp, IIUI). Also, I don't currently own a Mustang but am seriously considering buying one, hence my question :)

I'd certainly be open to helping out on the project if I do, though.

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Hi, I have a fender GT40 amp that shows up in qjackctl patchbay. Also a Mustang 1 V1 shows up.
Both sound great. No reason an LT wouldn't work, as all are designed for Mac usb standards shared by linux.
As a bonus, you can use such amps routed in qjackctl as glorified pedalboards with whatever
linux effects you use, Rakarrack, Guitarix, or a daw with hosted lv2/vst/vst3 effects. At that point,
you've entered sonic heaven.

There is an android app amp editor for many older Fender amps called Remuda, it has a free version
for testing, and the paid version at the app store is only $6.99. Don't know if an LT would be supported.
But it get's great reviews with Mustangs like a III V2, a great amp which is widely available 2nd-hand.

There is a linux editor for the Version 1 series of Fender Mustang amps, (I, II, III IV and V,) called Mustang Plug.
It might now require an older linux distro, for some old dependencies. Fender moronically failed to loan the dev
a V2 mustang, so the trail ended.

The current Fender windows editor for the LT might run in a new wine-staging. The gui works,
but I have no LT for confirming connectivity.

A second-hand GT40 runs around $200 in shops, likely less in the wilds, has 115 preset slots,
and with the latest firmware update, is sonically the equal of their more expensive GTX series.
It has a nice screen and editing capabilities are easy to follow. It has a wide range of presets,
and I use some of the default models as the amp for linux fx, and vst plugin chains.
A few dozen factory presets are perhaps 'over-the-top', but show the extremes
available to madmen across the waters :wink: And are easy to tame or replace.
If buying new from a shop, make sure you verify the returns policy, and if they will
do a firmware update for you, if desired. etc
Cheers

mindhog
Established Member

Post by mindhog »

Thanks for the info! Yeah, I figured it was class-compliant for audio, though TBH I'm more interested in the control features. In looking at the repo Basslint shared it appears they're using their own USB protocol, which is kind of annoying. They could have done it all through midi. But if there's code available, it's cool.

Think I'm gonna buy one. Thanks, folks! I'll follow up with my experiences.

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Here's a Fender created guide to the LT25:

https://youtu.be/Fai-FvFuBbA

and from a prolific internet reviewer,
a 40 minute gear dive:

https://youtu.be/ALnSp4QQ1tw

The sounds test starts at 13 minutes, after product description

mindhog
Established Member

Post by mindhog »

[apologies for the long delay]

So I bought one. It's a great sounding little amp, with lots of very cool presets, but the Linux integration experience was disappointing.

It looks like the LT25 uses a very different USB protocol from that supported by "plug" (the package's documentation indicates the USB device id correctly, but it's not in the set of devices in the code and the data stream coming back from the amp looks nothing like what the program supports). It does show up as a USB sound card, but I've been unable to record sound from it (I haven't tried very hard, recording from the amp isn't something I care about).

So all in all, I struck out on the Linux support. It's a shame, because the foot controller only lets you toggle between two presets, and changing the configuration from the menu system takes more effort than I'd want to spend between songs. Being able to control it from my normal R-Pi based effects pedal would really add value.

Still, the amp is otherwise perfect for what I bought it for (something light and reasonably powerful that I could bring to jams). I won't be returning it. If I feel ambitious at some point, maybe I'll try to reverse engineer the official software.

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Hi, I think you'll find recording the amp's headphone jack output to a soundcard line-in will sound pretty decent.
And having the collection of modeled amps to feed the various linux effects is great fun. Happy 2024!