Ardour 8 released

Check this forum for important info regarding the site.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

runiq
Established Member

Ardour 8 released

Post by runiq »

What's New?

I am SO looking forward to the Launchpad support. That's gonna be fun. And the new intuitive tempo mapping is looking to be awesome.

sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Ardour 8 released

Post by sysrqer »

Interesting, looks like a feature packed release. I hope they extend the launchpad support beyond the new ones - I do need to upgrade my mk2 but would be nice to have that supported as well.

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Maybe time for me try it.

I think I saw it has something I miss in LMMS. Humanization and swing.

runiq
Established Member

Post by runiq »

sysrqer wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:11 am

Interesting, looks like a feature packed release. I hope they extend the launchpad support beyond the new ones - I do need to upgrade my mk2 but would be nice to have that supported as well.

Judging by the rest of the supported devices, I wouldn't hold my breath, to be honest…

dawhead
Established Member

Post by dawhead »

sysrqer wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:11 am

No plans to implement support for the old ones. Someone with a bit of code familiarity will likely be able to take the mk3 versions and generate ones that work for the older models.

dawhead
Established Member

Post by dawhead »

runiq wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:08 am

Judging by the rest of the supported devices, I wouldn't hold my breath, to be honest…

WTF is that supposed to mean?

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

dawhead wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:19 am

No plans to implement support for the old ones. Someone with a bit of code familiarity will likely be able to take the mk3 versions and generate ones that work for the older models.

Why can't this be done by people with lots of code experience and know how the devices work, aka whoever added the existing models? The older versions were extremely popular for many years so there's a good chance a lot of people have them kicking around somewhere.

Is there any documentation on how to do this? I can't see a map for the Launchpad Pro in /usr/share/ardour8/ and I'm not sure where I would put my version if I were to edit the file if I did find it.

runiq
Established Member

Post by runiq »

sysrqer wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:09 am
dawhead wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:19 am

Why can't this be done by people with lots of code experience and know how the devices work, aka whoever added the existing models? The older versions were extremely popular for many years so there's a good chance a lot of people have them kicking around somewhere.

Is there any documentation on how to do this? I can't see a map for the Launchpad Pro in /usr/share/ardour8/ and I'm not sure where I would put my version if I were to edit the file if I did find it.

It can, of course! But reverse engineering the protocol is not something everyone can to just off the cuff, and you generally run the risk of bricking the device. Besides, Ardour is a complicated C++ codebase, and I can imagine that implementing a control surface touches a lot of the more… murky corners—especially if you want really deep integration and not just the stuff exposed via MIDI. Which is why the lead developer himself has implemented support for the Launchpad, for example.

It's always easy to ask "Why can't someone code it?", but there aren't that many people qualified to do exactly that in the first place. As the saying goes, patches welcome. :)

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

runiq wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:55 am

It's always easy to ask "Why can't someone code it?", but there aren't that many people qualified to do exactly that in the first place. As the saying goes, patches welcome. :)

Well, that's exactly why I am suggesting that this would be best done by the ardour devs if it was them who already added the launchpad pro.

runiq
Established Member

Post by runiq »

sysrqer wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:19 am
runiq wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:55 am

Well, that's exactly why I am suggesting that this would be best done by the ardour devs if it was them who already added the launchpad pro.

Low bandwidth, I presume. There's a lot on their (his?) plate and not enough time to do it, or else the list of supported devices would already be longer.

Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

runiq wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:22 am

There's a lot on their (his?) plate

Two people do the bulk of Ardour development; the above @dawhead is the primary developer. Considering the magnitude of the project (hundreds of thousands of lines of C/C++), they have to be extremely judicious about which features they prioritize. So yes, patches welcome.

Last edited by Michael Willis on Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
runiq
Established Member

Post by runiq »

Michael Willis wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:08 pm
runiq wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:22 am

There's a lot on their (his?) plate

Two people do the bulk of Ardour development (the above @dawhead is the primary developer. Considering the magnitude of the project (hundreds of thousands of lines of C/C++), they have to be extremely judicious about which features they prioritize. So yes, patches welcome.

Oh wow, I hadn't noticed that's Paul himself. Hi, I guess?

dawhead wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:20 am
runiq wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:08 am

WTF is that supposed to mean?

I meant that you guys have got a lot on your plate already and have to carefully choose what to spend your time on, and I think the list of control surfaces in the Ardour preferences reflects that. Usually the makers of control surfaces themselves implement support for DAWs, but it's unfortunately different for Ardour.

No offense intended, really!

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

I was looking at downloading Ardour.

I just want to make sure, that paypall is the only option ?

To get paypall, I need a mobile phone, something i don't have.

I noticed version 7 is in the openSUSE repositories though. Maybe I just need to wait for Ardour adding a different payment method. :)

Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

Gps wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:49 am

I noticed version 7 is in the openSUSE repositories though. Maybe I just need to wait for Ardour adding a different payment method. :)

Why are you still refusing to use proaudio repository??

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

@Gps

FWIW, payment is required to download the precomputed (and more imporant, supported-by-the-Ardour-team) binaries. Re: paypal, their site says, "You can pay with either a credit/debit card or a PayPal account (we use PayPal as our credit card processor, but you do not need an account with them)." This page explains why they use it: https://ardour.org/faq.html#paypal

You are free to download the source, either from the Ardour website, https://community.ardour.org/download?a ... ype=source,
or from Github, http://github.com/Ardour/ardour , and build it for yourself (see https://ardour.org/development.html).

Or you can get it from your distro's repositories, but it will almost certainly trail one or more versions behind the binaries the Ardour team ships. Neither the self-built nor the distro-built versions get explicit support: if you can't reproduce an issue with at least the demo version from ardour.org, it won't get much traction.

Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz