What TV series/movies are you watching?

Completely and utterly unrelated.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

peter.semiletov
Established Member

What TV series/movies are you watching?

Post by peter.semiletov »

Just some recent TV series and movies, that my wife and I have watched recently, and that I liked and can recommend :)
"Detectorists" - brilliant, very kind and calm TV series with Mackenzie Crook and Toby Jones, about - yes - the detectorists.
Spaced classical 90s by Edgar Wright (known by Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy), with Simon Pegg and Jessica Hynes.
"Kevin (Probably) Saves the World" - cancelled, by cool, altought not ideal.
"Mortified" - simple and fun Austalian children sitcom.

Personally I also wait a new "Walking Dead: Daryl" episode, but it is like a... candy wrapper of the first seasons of Walking/Fear Walking Dead.

MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Re: What TV series/movies are you watching?

Post by MattKingUSA »

I've just finished the star trek the next generation series. I watched the four following films and am now watching the Picard series. I'm currently on S01E07. It's a pretty fun series.

-Matt :D

autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

MattKingUSA wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:22 pm

It's a pretty fun series.

Nice! Dropped out after two or three episodes after they approached a space station and got spam on their HUD. Maybe I should give it another go. Did watch all the rest (TNG, Voyager, DS9, Enterprise) but also dropped out of Discovery, way too dark.

We're watching Police Interceptors again here.

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Fargo.
All 5 series are excellent as one would expect from the Coen brothers.
Last episode of season 5 airs this week. Eagerly awaited! :wink: 8)

RyanH
Established Member

Post by RyanH »

MattKingUSA wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:22 pm

I've just finished the star trek the next generation series. I watched the four following films and am now watching the Picard series. I'm currently on S01E07. It's a pretty fun series.

I love in the very beginning of TNG when Ryker first meets Data. At this point Data doesn't yet show much personality and he comes across as eerie, which it is clear is how Will experiences the meeting. I like it because to me it seems like what meeting an actual android would feel like. (Although I guess a modern-day android would probably have an excess of personality and some corny responses baked in.)

RyanH
Established Member

Post by RyanH »

Blue Bloods.

At first glance I had no interest in the show, but I came down with strep during the holidays, when there was very little to watch on TV, and one channel played nothing but Blue Bloods continuously for weeks. With nothing else to do but watch it, I got sucked in. Very well thought-out and well-acted for a cop show... and kudos to Magnum P.I. for having such a successful show so late in his career.

merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

The best thing I have seen in a while is The Last Of Us. Reputedly the most expensive TV series ever made, coming in at over $100 million for nine episodes. That in itself doesn't necessarily make a project good, but you can see where the money went as every scene has a meticulously aged set, looking like the twenty years after the end of the world where it is set.

Devs is good, made by Alex Garland, who also made Ex Machina. Devs deals with quantum computing, and throws in technicalities, like pilot wave theory versus a statistical approach.

Dystopian sci-fi seems popular at the moment, so I couldn't leave out the most dystopian of dystopian sci-fi (possibly because it's set ten minutes into the future) Black Mirror.

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

None! I don't have TV at all.

The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
nadir
Established Member

Post by nadir »

series:
Fargo ; was mentioned already
Goliath
I love Dick
Deadloch
Swedish Dicks
Dirk Gently
Wilfred
Utopia (original BBC, not remake)
Braunschlag (probably need to speak german to really enjoy it, but awesome)
Outer Land

movies:
Fargo
burnt after reading
lost girls and love motels
the power of the dog
i am thinking about ending things
Handsome
Happytime Murders

A few of the movies and series i really liked during the last 2 or 3 years.

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Ah yes, Deadloch; I just watched that. Quirky and a bit silly early on but really grew on me. The creators Kate McLennan and Kate McCartney have had a couple of "Late Show" type programs on Australian TV which were hilarious, irreverent, and quite bawdy (The Katering Show and Get Krackin', probably hard to find).
Wilfred - another brilliant Aussie series which was remade in an inferior US version. Search out the Aussie versions!

Power Of The Dog - loved it

nadir
Established Member

Post by nadir »

Right?
Yes, it kinda is silly, but in a great way.
The very few things i saw, they seem to have a really strange humor in Australia (funny enough the same is valid for Austria, see Braunschlag above. Also "contact high" and such. Really strange humor).

i think i found a few bits of the original australian Wilfred version on youtube. Yeah, it is great. I meant the remake, and i really liked it.

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

nadir wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:35 am

The very few things i saw, they seem to have a really strange humor in Australia

Nah, mate, the rest of the world has strange humour! :mrgreen:
I find things like Seinfeld and Raymond to be lame and barely funny, although I love 30 Rock, Scrubs, Becker, My Name Is Earl and others. Some of the best US ones are ancient though, like The Honeymooners.
Generally prefer British comedy like Utopia you mentioned.

nadir
Established Member

Post by nadir »

Yes, i really do like Becker.
I pretty much enoyed Seinfeld too though.
The others i don't know at all, or do know and haven't watched. If i recall correct "My name is Earl" is with a skater, not about he is a skater, but i didn't find it for free.
ah, scrubs, yeah, i watched it. Not too bad, in my book.

I probably am simply not that used to australian humor, i also didn't mean it as a bad thing, just that to me it is kinda unusual, and i really enjoy it. But i hardly know producions from Australia.
(i watched that other series, a dog gets injured during an accident, then a little love story and all, and i also liked it. Not great, but quiet good. Also a humor which is unusual to me). <some-name> from Accounts, or similar.

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

nadir wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:40 am

(i watched that other series, a dog gets injured during an accident, then a little love story and all, and i also liked it. Not great, but quiet good. Also a humor which is unusual to me). <some-name> from Accounts, or similar.

Colin From Accounts - Agreed. Watchable but not unmissable IMO.

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Haha,

Missed "Peep Show" the first time around (probably didn't have distribution in Canada) but it's still got the goods... Rarely an episode passes where we don't belly laugh several times.. I've mastered a pretty wicked Mark Corrigan impression along the way.. Really enjoyed some of the Apple series recently... "Shrinking" was especially good, Ted Lasso was uneven but charming.. "Severance" was really great but they're sure making us wait out the next season... :roll:

Loved "Fisk" and "I Think You Should Leave" is all over the map but when it hits you it hits you good!