FOSS fixes/features wishes if you had money to give?

Discuss how to promote using FLOSS to make music.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

milkii
Established Member

FOSS fixes/features wishes if you had money to give?

Post by milkii »

If you somehow magically had a fair bit of money to use, and you wanted to give it to a developer of a free/open source software project, what fixes and/or features might you request in exchange? Either audio or related/other software.

Last edited by milkii on Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

milkii
Established Member

Re: FOSS fixes/features wishes if you had money to give?

Post by milkii »

Last edited by milkii on Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

Per voice MIDI out from Musescore

David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

• Calf: get rid of GTK dependency.
  • MusE: clap+vst3 support.

Not FOSS (maybe a FOSS add-on?) - Renoise: change pattern editor scrolling behaviour. A pattern which is moving instead of the cursor is seriously maddening.

juki
Established Member

Post by juki »

As far as i know there is no linux native multiband dynamic EQ. I wish an EQ like TDR Nova existing for Linux.

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

@juki

As far as i know there is no linux native multiband dynamic EQ. I wish an EQ like TDR Nova existing for Linux.

I think I'm dumb-or-lucky enough not to know how I would use one. I can (barely) wrap my head around how I might use a multi-band compressor.

Can you outline the use-case? Maybe LSP plugins already has it, only we don't know it.

Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Two things for LV2: create a system preset browser like the one in Cakewalk's old z3ta+ 1.5,
or as good as the one U-he provide, but with an optional floating panel with larger fonts easy to choose,
launchable by configurable key(s)

Secondly, pro quality sound design packs. There are a dozen great linux synths
that have plenty of unexploited potential.

For DecentSampler, the 16-part multi-timbrality as found in IK's SampleTank, would be
a boon to our linux-based orchestral producers. If Yoshimi can do it, other geniuses
like Rui should also rise to the occasion. padth1 with 16 layers? 8)

I love Rakarrack, would like the whole thing as a plugin, as well as some fresh and levels-corrected presets, would be great.

A Rakarrack frame supporting the Airwindows myriad releases would be great.

slightly unrelated Patreon's stubborn refusal to allow one-time donations? :roll:
Is Buy-me-a-coffee easy to implement for devs?

Ardour/Mixbus requiring a 'session' is a buzzkill. In reaper, when the Muse whispers,
she wants to play, and doesn't demand a session 8)

I'd love an effect-only version of Bitwig, and price the 16-track at $40,
pretty fair compared to Reaper's unlimited semi-pro version at $65,
and the basic Mixbus version pricing around $40 during that week of the year
when it's not on sale :wink:

I would love synaptic in an Arch distro. The current Arch package tools are good,
but for me, good is only second best, and lacking synaptic is a dealbreaker when it comes to
the distros I daily use. Even though I'm not a spinning ugrade maniac :wink:
Cheers

juki
Established Member

Post by juki »

tseaver wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:34 pm

@juki

I think I'm dumb-or-lucky enough not to know how I would use one. I can (barely) wrap my head around how I might use a multi-band compressor.

Can you outline the use-case? Maybe LSP plugins already has it, only we don't know it.

English is not my native language so i'll avoid to make it even more complicated for you by shutting up. But if you really want to understand what is a dynamic EQ, there are tons of tutorials on the web. :D

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

If I would have 100M€, I would setup company for making accounting and reporting for municipalities. There is so much special on those compared to normal accounting that you can't use any normal programs for it. Companies who do it are using MS technologies, and MS lisencing terms and prices are unbearable.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hmmm,

Improvements to whatever limitations are in AppImage (I haven't found any) and promotion of that (back to) to the primary way to provide bundled distro-agnostic binary versions of common FOSS DAWs, NLE's and other complex monolithic applications..

They are self contained binaries, easy to run and remove and most importantly roll back to a working version in the User area and leave the host system alone without completely requiring a complete second system-wide invasive packaging system. Developers used to balk at having to support DEB and RPM now they have to still do that plus 3 more so-called universal solutions.

autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

I would set up a company that creates simply the best plugins in the world, but then in an open format, binary packaged exclusively for Linux and excruciatingly hard to compile for any other OS. I would make sure they work excellently in Reaper, Bitwig, Studio One, Mixbus etc. and then I would endorse artist(s) with a sizable audience and get them to promote my stuff.

What happens then is that people flock massively to Linux because of it having the best plugins and because John Mayer (or any other artist or producer that manages to propel products into the stratosphere) is using them. They then discover that their machines perform much better, that they can get the most out of it, that their setups are more stable and that they don't have to pay half of the price of their work station for having a desecrated piece of fruit on it. This results in all major DAW companies to rapidly port their stuff over to Linux because they don't want to miss that train. End result will be of course that now everyone is on Linux all plugin companies are more or less compelled to port their plugins to Linux too.

I would then sell my company to Avid for way too much money and from that money I would be able to further strengthen the hegemony of FOSS and Linux.

Job done, world domination and finally the year of the Linux desktop arrives.

But really, I honestly thought about this matter in the past. But through the years almost all wishes got fulfilled. Almost all. I would still like something like Seq24 as a plugin. Or that https://github.com/pgiblock/lmms-lv2 would finally take off. Or that PHASEX becomes available as a plugin. Actually it's mainly plugins I'm missing at the moment.

Edit: with Carla you can run JACK apps as a plugin of course :roll:

bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

I'd try to establish a standard framework/library that can be used by plugins and detects if there is a GPU present to have the GPU do the FFT/IFFT stuff.

Then graphic cards would make sense in computers for musicians.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/