no sound from drumgizmo

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, muldjord, deva

tripleh

no sound from drumgizmo

Post by tripleh »

I tried setting up drumgizmo, but it mostly doesn't produce any output.

I used
pw-jack -p 256 -s 48000 ./drumgizmo/drumgizmo/drumgizmo -p close=0.95,position=1.0,diverse=0.1,random=0.04 -i jackmidi -I "midimap=$KITMIDIMAPXML" -o jackaudio "$KITXML"
(It's pipewire with jack "emulation", not jack.)

drumgizmo doesn't report any error. Of course I also connect the Midi input port and the two output ports to the respective ALSA sinks via pw-link. -o alsa is the same. Once it worked with -o alsa, but only after I waited for a while and only certain Midi notes even though all were mapped in the kit. On the second try it failed again...
I also noticed some output on -o wavfile once, but mostly it produces empty files that are tens of minutes long and very large even though I recorded only for seconds. The results were reproducible on two different machines (one arm64 mobian, one x64 ubuntu 22.04).

Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this?
Are there any debugging options for drumgizmo?

I guess I'll try jack again, but that failed on the first try as well, which made me think pipewire might work instead...

Btw I tried this kit, maybe there's some issue with it that I'm not aware of.

Impostor
Established Member

Re: no sound from drumgizmo

Post by Impostor »

Don't use quotation marks in your cli command? (Edit: doesn't seem to matter)

Also, depending on the kit, Drumgizmo opens multiple audio out channels with kit-dependent names. Make certain all those audio channels are correctly connected to your system's (stereo) output ports. Probably makes more sense in a DAW.

I'm using Jack, not Pipewire, and it works fine here. You create a jack-midi port for DG. Are you certain that Pipewire makes the right connection to this? With Jack, you can only directly connect alsa midi ports to alsa midi ports, and jack midi ports to jack midi ports, and for cross-connections you need stuff like a2jmidid.

Attachments
DSR.png
DSR.png (20.43 KiB) Viewed 1313 times
Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

With Jack running, the following works fine with the same kit you used (I've put the drumgizmo binary in the drumkit folder for convenience):

Code: Select all

./drumgizmo -i jackmidi -I midimap=Midimap_full.xml -o jackaudio CrocellKit_full.xml

and then (manually) connecting the midi and audio ports.

I assume all those extra parameters you've used are pipewire specific? I used drumgizmo built from git btw.

Edit: I found documentation on the arch wiki manpage for drumgizmo. "position" is an unknown parameter and indeed gives an error here when I include it.

tripleh

Post by tripleh »

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated!

Jack indeed seems to work. Looks like I shouldn't have bothered messing with pipewire... :-/