SSL and Harrison consoles

Subforum for advertisements. Anything that might be interesting to the LinuxMusicians community is fair game here: hardware or software, Free or proprietary, go wild!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

funkmuscle
Established Member

SSL and Harrison consoles

Post by funkmuscle »

Hey I don't know if anyone tried to buy that $400 bundle for $35 from SSL in Harrison as they are having an introductory sale I guess so 91% off.

I am asking because I tried to buy it because I just need the drum flow from Harrison and as I clicked on it it took me to an SSL site and they wanted my iLok cold or something like that. First thing first I don't have a freaking clue on what is iLok. Any device or software that begins with the letter I, I despise especially if it's coming from Apple.

Anyhow I contacted support at Harrison to find out how to purchase this because I was just going to give the SSL part of it away or hold on to it just in case it could run under wine or something. The answer I got from them I may have misunderstood but the way it sounds is that all of Harrison's plugins are now under SSL and they cannot stand Linux.

Well the representative did not say that but that's the feeling I got because it was like well we are just catering to Windows and Mac on my reply was you're welcome because no mix bus if wasn't for ardour.

So I've got all these plugins from Harrison and they may no longer be supported.

I'm waiting to hear back from that rep because I wanted clarification. The rep did say yes you can use the drum flow part with the license and I said to the rep that yes I know that but I first need to have the damn plug in before I can actually use the license for it don't I?

Please tell me I'm wrong somebody? I really want to be wrong because I do love their products.

glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: SSL and Harrison consoles

Post by glowrak guy »

Here is Harrison's linux forum, you might get a straight answer from the troops :wink:

https://forum.harrisonconsoles.com/forum-7.html

Generally speaking, the software version of ilok will work in some few versions of wine,
and requires a clean ilok account. Their account system often requires temporarily unregistering your products
before doing OS and hardware updates. But all dongle/soft ilok systems have a percentile of legenday failures of the process.
I've read that when the software installer asks to update during the process, you need to reject that.

Having a compatible nvidia graphics card, and the newest possible official
nvidia linux driver is important if modern software with 'progam manager tools' is needed.
(and not just for ilok, as commercial coders often hook into shiny new 'standards',
making it hard for wine team to keep up) I've had Hybrid 3 and several other AIRTECH plugins running
from time to time with the software ilok, but haven't had time this year to futz around with them.
Mi dos centavos

Friends of Paul Davis might get the inside info on the SSL situations.

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

https://forum.harrisonconsoles.com/thread-11317.html

This has a tip relating to how data is allocated to cores, and a config file way to limit that,
which apparently enhances success with windows vst use in wine, Ties in to my previous opinion
a wii bit :wink:

funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Thanks a lot man. Still haven't found what I'm looking for though. I'm seeing a lot of people don't have it working properly. I don't know why I got a sick gut feeling that SSL will slowly stop supporting our platform. I was one of those guys when I heard of the merger didn't see the positive because I've dealt with SSL before.

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

I've always hoped that some $big$ outfit that uses linux in render farms to produce movies,
would expand their linux use to the audio side of hollywood productions. Paul Davis and
Ben Loftist offer some basic comments on the ownership change in this topic:

https://discourse.ardour.org/t/harrison-and-ssl/108586

So it's Audiotronix owning both Harrison and SSL, with those two joing forces.
I have a couple of Mixbus licenses for a rainy day, but so far, Reaper has been
a reliable umbrella. It would be great for the Ardour team to get a big boost
in coming months. I have zero experience with SSL products, but I hope
the two groups can learn as they go without demanding their own way at every turn.
Probably many bright and strong-willed people under the larger roof 8)

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

funkmuscle wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:33 pm

I just need the drum flow from Harrison

For what it's worth, my son-in-law, who is an expert drummer, has had great success creating pro quality midi files
with Superior Drummer, and often without the sticks. To the point of startling recipients with the knowledge of their creation.
Glennbo, a linux user, is another fine percussionits, who uses Superior Drummer in his linux studio.

His music site (prog-rock) https://www.soundclick.com/search/defau ... m=PlayThis

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=219734

Cheers

funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

glowrak guy wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:50 am
funkmuscle wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:33 pm

I just need the drum flow from Harrison

For what it's worth, my son-in-law, who is an expert drummer, has had great success creating pro quality midi files
with Superior Drummer, and often without the sticks. To the point of startling recipients with the knowledge of their creation.
Glennbo, a linux user, is another fine percussionits, who uses Superior Drummer in his linux studio.

His music site (prog-rock) https://www.soundclick.com/search/defau ... m=PlayThis

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=219734

Cheers

Oh yes but I'd take DrumGizmo over anything.. I like the raw drums so I can edit from scratch.. I have EZdrummer. I like the bleed and the raw sound of DrumGizmo and not the polished commercial stuff.
Plus my drummer couldn't program midi to save his life.. That's how this band started. I wanted him to program midi beats but was clueless. We're old school here, well they are. Me coming for an IT support background and lobe tinkering with computers is why I'm the one doing all of the mixing.

To be honest, the only reason I would like to have the DrumFLow is noise generator.. Think that's what it's called. Triggering white and pink noise to sometimes fatten the kick and add sparkle to the snare.
All could be done by sidechaining if I do recall! It was just easier having it in one plugin.

See as much as I love Linux, I hate Windows and Macs more than the Linux love but the major downside to Linux is the open source aspect. Don't get me wrong, open source is the best but it's usually one to a few dudes/ladies developing the stuff.
They quit due to life or worse, they pass away, that plugin becomes dead weight later on down the road.. We're all starting to miss Calf.

So I like to buy the odd commercial plugin that I really need in fear of the open source going belly up. I wish I knew how to program or develop plugins.

I'll save money and just go the extra step with the sidechaining. Don't need that all the time but the $400 for $34.99 just felt like a steal.

funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

glowrak guy wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:33 am

I've always hoped that some $big$ outfit that uses linux in render farms to produce movies,
would expand their linux use to the audio side of hollywood productions. Paul Davis and
Ben Loftist offer some basic comments on the ownership change in this topic:

https://discourse.ardour.org/t/harrison-and-ssl/108586

So it's Audiotronix owning both Harrison and SSL, with those two joing forces.
I have a couple of Mixbus licenses for a rainy day, but so far, Reaper has been
a reliable umbrella. It would be great for the Ardour team to get a big boost
in coming months. I have zero experience with SSL products, but I hope
the two groups can learn as they go without demanding their own way at every turn.
Probably many bright and strong-willed people under the larger roof 8)

Well with Airwindows plugina based on giving us the analogue vibe, Ardour and Reaper can be setup to do a lot of what Mixbus can do.
The Mixbus rep said the Mixbus is open source....
I said maybe the Ardour core because is yt was all open source, wouldn't Ardour be using their Mixbus section or someone modifying or forking it?

Well I for one was scared when I received the email and what Audiotronix did.
I immediately email Ben and Nathan and they said as far as they know, Linux will still be supported only to have the first 2 new plugins crap on Linux.
Feels like world politics.
They keep saying it's hard to make stuff for Linux yet we have tons of devs making open source stuff.. Hmm, maybe hire a few?! Just a thought but a quick way to solve the 'too hard to make Linux plugins' issue don't ya think?
Yes Linux musicians we would rather support our devs but if the commercial dudes are all about the money, this is a market to mess with I would think.

Maybe not enough of us buying. I'd hate to go to the big 2 platforms. After using Linux since 1998, I'm getting PTSD just thinking of having to do that. :D

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

I would love to have an android distro that installed as easily as the typical Debian/Ubuntu collections.
As an alternative to iOS on tablets/phones, and where some android hardware editors could be on full computer.
The few android distros I've looked into seemed overly complex to get going, for the amount of free time I have.
But maybe I'll try again this year when we get some snow.

The passions we can pursue are often dictated by finances and available time. They will balance themselves
between payday, and the pine box, but not always as we hope or expect. :wink: Likely the same for
businesses pondering support for old or small-market systems like win7 and linux. Bitwig and U-he linux seems
to be holding steady, they at least are headquartered in a nation whose government made some effort
to transition to linux, only to give up when the going got tough. Reaper and Airwindows have modern cross-platform
build systems working well in the US. It can be done. Interesting idea adding noise to phatten up the percussion 8)
I still haven't dedicated time to learn drumgizzmo :(

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Where is this offer?

merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

I received the offer in an email. Harrison have been doing offers through email for years. Some of them were a good deal, like Mixbus for $19. When the merger with SSL happened the emails dried up. The first email post-merger was this dual offer of a Harrison plugin and an SSL plugin.

I was insulted, as pre-merger, all Harrison software was Linux compatible. Post-merger and I'm getting a heads up on Windows bullshit. Quite what went on in the boardroom, I don't know, but for SSL Linux is not a priority.

I don't think this necessarily means anything bad for the future. Because Harrison use a sane licencing method (it's simply a text file) Harrison plugins will continue to work. I was optimistic for about a nano second that Harrison would take SSL down the Linux route, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

merlyn wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:16 pm

I received the offer in an email. Harrison have been doing offers through email for years. Some of them were a good deal, like Mixbus for $19.

I must have unsubscribed because I didn't get anything but I do remember the eternal $19 sale on mixbus.

I've been out of the loop it seems, didn't know there was a merger. That's a real shame if the priority for linux has gone down because it always used to seem like it was their first/top platform.

merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

OK, so I'm getting full-on angry now. (don't worry, it will pass :D). The latest news from SSL is that they want existing Harrison AVA users to 'upgrade' to iLok.

https://support.solidstatelogic.com/hc/ ... ugin-users

Fuck you SSL. Fuck right off, and when you're finished fucking off, fuck off some more. :D

funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

merlyn wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:44 pm

OK, so I'm getting full-on angry now. (don't worry, it will pass :D). The latest news from SSL is that they want existing Harrison AVA users to 'upgrade' to iLok.

Fuck you SSL. Fuck right off, and when you're finished fucking off, fuck off some more. :D

I'm a huge wrestling fan especially the WWE and because they merged with UFC a whole bunch of layoffs happened. So in my email to Nathan and Ben, I said so you guys may not be laying off staff but it feels like you're surely pushing away users because we're not with the big boys. I really hope if that's the case that Paul Davis and the rest of them stop working with Harrison because eventually I could see us losing our own ardour!

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

merlyn wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:44 pm

I am pretty sure they don't have iLok version for Linux, so we are safe :-)

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM