Greetings Earth Folks!

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Phitar
Established Member

Greetings Earth Folks!

Post by Phitar »

Hello everyone!

I'm here mainly because the music PC I'd been using for years (MS Windows 7 thru 10) decided to reject the OS like it was some kind of cross species heart transplant and refused to be resuscitated. After three days of working on it I decided to throw in the towel with Microsoft and try working with a REAL OS. LinuxMusicians seems to be just what I need to help me make this quite painful transition.

I don't consider myself to be a musician. I'm more of an out-of-control synthesizer hobbyist who as my wife puts it "...makes weird noises that sometimes sound okay". My passion is eurorack format modular so I'll use that as a valid excuse for the weird noises.

I've used Linux in the past... but it was like back when RedHat was first being mentioned (I think Windows was at Version 3.1 then) so I have a little catching up to do.

I'm sure I'll ask some silly questions or make some dumb comments here but I do that daily in life regarding topics that I'm extremely knowledgeable about.

Impostor
Established Member

Re: Greetings Earth Folks!

Post by Impostor »

Phitar wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:00 pm

LinuxMusicians seems to be just what I need to help me make this quite painful transition.

Painful? The entire process was an enjoyable experience for me (and I'm not into pain at all!). Within two weeks of switching I already had more control over my pc than I ever had in the 23 years I used Windows.

Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Impostor wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:54 am

Painful?

Well, @Phitar did just make an analogy about a cross-species heart transplant. A proper same-species heart is definitely in order, but the new transplant isn't exactly painless.

Phitar
Established Member

Post by Phitar »

Impostor wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:54 am

Painful? The entire process was an enjoyable experience for me (and I'm not into pain at all!). Within two weeks of switching I already had more control over my pc than I ever had in the 23 years I used Windows.

I'm speaking mainly in regards to the time spent (wasted) trying to get WinDoze back up and running. I even went as far as attempt a fresh install on a new hard drive only to get prompts telling me the hardware is incompatible even though it had been running Windows 10 since its release in 2015. :x
I still have the pain of salvaging what I can off the two drives worth of programs and plugin's. I'd have to do that even if I didn't change over to Linux. Some of it will be usable but not all of it I'm afraid.

Ubuntu doesn't seem to mind the hardware at all and is running very much painlessly. I'm sure I'll be able manage the learning curve in time. Being a bear of little brain and allergic to change, I'll tend to grumble in the process though. :lol: