Getting Hydrogen to recognize non-repository kits

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

iheartqtracto
Established Member

Getting Hydrogen to recognize non-repository kits

Post by iheartqtracto »

Hey all,

Wondering if anyone has any insight into whether it's possible to add drumkits that are NOT from Hydrogen repositories to Hydrogen.

For example, I downloaded "The Cassette808" kit found here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/oi94189i ... k.zip/file.

I unzipped the file and placed it in /home/.hydrogen/data/drumkits. Looks like all the samples are .wav files. But Hydrogen does not see the kit when I try to open it.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the .xml and/or .bak files that are in the Hydrogen kits folders. Perhaps I need to create one of those and place it in the new kit's directory?

Does anyone know of a quick and easy way to do this?

Thanks to everyone for indulging all my dumb questions and being super helpful so far. I love this forum!!!

Impostor
Established Member

Re: Getting Hydrogen to recognize non-repository kits

Post by Impostor »

iheartqtracto wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:36 pm

Does anyone know of a quick and easy way to do this?

I doubt it's quick, but if it's not a hydrogen kit, but just a sample pack, you'll have to do the work yourself: create a hydrogen kit with those samples. Menu "drumkit", "new"....

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

As @Impostor said..

Hydrogen opens and creates drumkits only in it's native '.h2drumkit' format, zipped samples are just samples, without Hydrogen's special h2drumkit XML file Hydrogen can't know what to do with them. It's like expecting Libreoffice to open your grocery list because it has words on it..

Luckily the documentation for Hydrogen is nothing short of amazing and with a bit of reading you can learn how to make your own h2drumkit from any set of samples:

http://hydrogen-music.org/documentation ... es.drumkit

iheartqtracto
Established Member

Post by iheartqtracto »

Excellent. Thanks for the info!