MusE has probs loading synths, saving sliders

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

Tutorius
Established Member

Re: MusE has probs loading synths, saving sliders

Post by Tutorius »

Impostor wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:20 pm
Impostor wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:44 pm
Tutorius wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:00 pm

I have problems loading a song again, the synths (surge-synths, but also MDA-E-Piano and Odin2 had problems) create noise, the edit-state of the surge-patch is changed to "changed/edited", other settings were not saved or loaded.

Does Odin2 have presets that don't load correctly on reloading a project? I haven't yet found a problem with this synth.

Odin2 lv2 certainly has problems. I built the github version, which also uses Juce 6 like the buggy Surge lv2, which may or may not be relevant.

Load for example the preset "leads"-"karpius lead". If you now drag the dot inside the VectorOsc around, you may notice all kinds of dials in other sections moving around too willy-nilly, even though these controls are not coupled via the modulation matrix (also they not always move around, just sometimes).

Had a comparable problem some hours ago...
I played a bass on odin, and moving the Pitchbend-Wheel moved the Modulation-Wheel (the one rendered in the Odin-Surface), too. It happened that th instrument was completly out of tune after one pirchbend-use, and a new pitchbend-turn restored the tune again...

Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

I am not seeing this at all with the pre-built version.
Possible for you to test with that one?

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Tim E. Real wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:37 pm

I am not seeing this at all with the pre-built version.
Possible for you to test with that one?

Took some wiggling, but I made a screenrecord (with the version from the .deb download). After about 20 seconds the fun starts.

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/a38e1d ... e=sendgrid

You'll see multiple sliders, dials, and even connections change, and the phaser is suddenly turned off.

One could think, one has to be a real idiot to wiggle that dot for 20 seconds, so it's not a realistic usage scenario. But what if one automates its coordinates with an lfo or something?

Note: this is not intended as a MusE bug report.

Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

Unfortunately I am not able to view this.
I don't have the required codecs. (It's a 'clean' system - open source codecs only.)

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Tim E. Real wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:55 pm

Unfortunately I am not able to view this.
I don't have the required codecs. (It's a 'clean' system - open source codecs only.)

It's recorded with simplescreenrecorder with H264 codec (libx264) which is open source afaik. I haven't installed any proprietary codecs either.

https://code.videolan.org/videolan/x264.git

Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

I meant that the codec is 'non-free', as in licensing issues.
To make it happen requires a massive change of all related packages
from official repos to someone's community repo. Unfortunately I can't do that.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Tim E. Real wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:28 am

I meant that the codec is 'non-free', as in licensing issues.
To make it happen requires a massive change of all related packages
from official repos to someone's community repo. Unfortunately I can't do that.

Open source, GPL2.0 licence, but still non-free? I don't get it, but I don't even want to. I'm not really interested in licence issues. I respect your decision though.

What would be a good codec to use for video then?

Tutorius
Established Member

Post by Tutorius »

to come back to my Thrad-start:

I have created a new song with the same topology, meaning some synths playing on Out-1, sharing their output on three Audio-Groups each synth. These audio-groups are connected to three audio-groups with added effects (Reverb, Delay, Flanger).

This time the saving and reloading worked, the sliders of the audio-groups are saved. I will inspect both files and find out what is not saved in the first try (perhaps i can alter the file by adding some lines to get saving back).

The other thing is: I have started to use an App-Immage some weeks ago, and worked. But today was the first day i added effects and tried to open the Effect-GUI to change some settings. The GUI does not open with the App-Image, it looks weird in some cases, in most cases it just crashes trying to open th effect.
The effects used are "Calf Reverb", "Calf Vintage Delay" and "Calf Flanger" als LV2-plugins.

I searched in the program to find out a version-output, so i can tell you what build of MusE did that, but i was not able to find any hint. Where can i find a Version-name or number to add here so you can see what version i was using?

Thanks again, will now download the newest Apimage or compile the newest version, depending on what version can display the Effect-GUIS.

Hartmut

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Tutorius wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:05 am

The GUI does not open with the App-Image, it looks weird in some cases, in most cases it just crashes trying to open th effect.
The effects used are "Calf Reverb", "Calf Vintage Delay" and "Calf Flanger" als LV2-plugins.

Calf GUI uses GTK2.

You're probably missing some GTK2 related packages on your system. If you're building MusE with GTK2 support you'll need to install some libgtk2.0 and libgtkmm packages. Maybe you also need those for using GTK2 plugins with the appimage.

Tutorius
Established Member

Post by Tutorius »

Impostor wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:36 am
Tutorius wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:05 am

The GUI does not open with the App-Image, it looks weird in some cases, in most cases it just crashes trying to open th effect.

Calf GUI uses GTK2.

You're probably missing some GTK2 related packages on your system. If you're building MusE with GTK2 support you'll need to install some libgtk2.0 and libgtkmm packages. Maybe you also need those for using GTK2 plugins with the appimage.

Only the Appimage has this behaviour. I have compiled the actual version and all is good. Calf Gui works with this version.

Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

Where can i find a Version-name or number to add here so you can see what version i was using?

An easy way is Help > About MusE.
It should print the release version and the git version if there is one.
(Although, for some reason mine isn't printing the git version.)

Tutorius
Established Member

Post by Tutorius »

Tim E. Real wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:32 pm

Where can i find a Version-name or number to add here so you can see what version i was using?

An easy way is Help > About MusE.
It should print the release version and the git version if there is one.
(Although, for some reason mine isn't printing the git version.)

My isn't also... I found out: The best is to run MusE in Terminal and use "muse4 -v"

Tutorius
Established Member

Post by Tutorius »

Calf Flanger shows also wrong save/load of parameters.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Tutorius wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:05 am

Can't replicate that here. Do note though that the flanger, like the phaser and the chorus, are "dynamic" effects, with the modulation active whether or not playback is active. Unless you create an automation event for "reset" at the beginning of your track for each of those effects, they will affect the sound in a slightly different way each time, since initial modulation phase will depend on the moment you press play.

Tutorius
Established Member

Post by Tutorius »

Impostor wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:05 am
Tutorius wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:05 am

Can't replicate that here. Do note though that the flanger, like the phaser and the chorus, are "dynamic" effects, with the modulation active whether or not playback is active. Unless you create an automation event for "reset" at the beginning of your track for each of those effects, they will affect the sound in a slightly different way each time, since initial modulation phase will depend on the moment you press play.

Feedback is set to 100%, Rate to 1Hz after reloading, this leads to a 1Hz-swelling Resonance-Beep. Effect is added to an audio-group.