What are you currently reading?

Completely and utterly unrelated.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

peter.semiletov
Established Member

Re: What are you currently reading?

Post by peter.semiletov »

Impostor wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:31 pm

Inspired by folderol's story, and the "what are you currently listening to" thread, I'm curious about what my fellow linuxmusicians may be reading.

I'm reading Ilium by Dan Simmons (sf).

I've read Simmons at nineties, his "Hyperion", etc., very liked at those times.

SonicAudio
Established Member

Re: What are you currently reading?

Post by SonicAudio »

Whenever the question arises for me, what came before, I usually delve a little deeper into the matter to find out the true essence. This was also the case with the fundamental basis that ultimately led to the x86 architecture as we know it today. So I started reading the following book: “Data point - The Lost Story of the Texans Who Invented the Personal Computer Revolution" from Lamont Wood. The title is of course a bit exaggerated and typical of the author's style of writing. Based on some of the reviews, it was already clear to me that the author's personal opinion runs through the entire book. Still, it's written well enough that you can at least understand the history that led to Intel processors.

• Hugo House Publishers (31. August 2012),

• 330 pages,

• ISBN-10: 1936449366

For readers who want to delve even deeper into the subject, I recommend Ken Shirriff's blog, where the architecture is analyzed and described in much more detail. That's some damn good stuff! :wink: