Hydrogen kits won't load

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

iheartqtracto
Established Member

Hydrogen kits won't load

Post by iheartqtracto »

Hey everyone,

I'm running Hydrogen 1.2.0-beta on Ubuntu Studio 23.04. I've added http://hydrogen-music.org/feeds/drumkit_list.php and https://musical-artifacts.com/hydrogen_drumkits.xml to my server list and installed some of the drumkits from those repositories.

However, when I load the kits, many of them show a yellow, triangular "caution" symbol next to each instrument under the "Pattern 1" column. When I hover my mouse over the symble, it says "Some samples for this instrument failed to load."

Any idea what's going on?

Thanks in advance!

hydrogen.png
hydrogen.png (215.15 KiB) Viewed 2929 times
Impostor
Established Member

Re: Hydrogen kits won't load

Post by Impostor »

I think those drumkits samples should be found in ~/.hydrogen/data/drumkits/

EDIT: Wait, I see they're listed under "system drumkits" in your screenshot. Maybe Hydrogen doesn't access the correct path. (probably /usr/local/share/hydrogen/data/drumkits if you installed from git, or /usr/share/hydrogen... if you installed from a repo). You can always manually download and install those drumkits. Then their data will go into the home folder I specified above.

iheartqtracto
Established Member

Post by iheartqtracto »

Thanks for replying!

I wound up removing the version of Hydrogen that came with Ubuntu Studio and installing the flatpak version instead. All the kits are accessible with that one.

Probably wasn't necessary, but it got the job done! :-)

mbelange

Post by mbelange »

I have the same problem with Ubuntu Studio 23.10. It came with:
i hydrogen 1.2.0beta1+dfsg-1
ii hydrogen-data 1.2.0beta1+dfsg-1
ii hydrogen-doc 1.2.0beta1+dfsg-1
ii hydrogen-drumkits 2017.09.19dfsg-1

In the course of troubleshooting, I copied the contents of
/usr/share/hydrogen/data/drumkits/ to ~/.hydrogen/data/drumkits/

That got me nowhere so I pulled out my other shotgun and downloaded
the latest AppImage from http://hydrogen-music.org/. That got
me Hydrogen 1.2.2..

As an old timer, the AppImage thing was new to me - it is basically an
executable with all/most of libraries and whatever it needs to run. Probably
at the cost of being big. Yup - AppImage is 81M. Regular hydrogen binary is
about 6M. Like a container or something .. But I digress ....

The new hydrogen fired right up. It had no knowledge of the ubuntu studio
drumkits, but it DID find the ones I had copied in my ~/.hydrogen/data/drumkits/

Hope this helps someone

theGreatWhiteShark
Established Member

Post by theGreatWhiteShark »

This problem is most likely affecting everyone using a Debian-based system or at least their repos. In a nutshell: the kits ship via the OS repo are to old but Hydrogen is not able to update them itself (as they are stored in /usr/share).

As a workaround you could either run the latest AppImage (which I would in general recommand) or discard the system-level kits and just use the ones downloaded using "Drumkits > Online Import" in the main menu.

Yeah, sorry for all the mess. We worked on a CLI option to upgrade kits in the packaging pipeline but didn't make it till the final freeze for Bookworm. Limited resources on all sides. But hopefully things will run smoother on Trixie. If anyone here is interested in helping with packaging she or he would be most welcome!