Questions about Konfyt in live practice

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

melonion
Established Member

Questions about Konfyt in live practice

Post by melonion »

After trying Konfyt by @noedig once again, I am pretty happy with it thanks to downloading a big package of soundfonts from https://musical-artifacts.com

But I am wondering about a few things:

• Can I configure a layer to be monophonic, i.e. only the last played note is sustained? This is nice when I want to play a lead melody while keeping the sustain pedal for the base.
  • How about an inbuilt metronome? This is such an essential and simple practice tool and can even be useful in performances if routed well.
  • I was close to reaching a looping ambient pad that runs in one specific key until I change it by hardcoding the key in a MIDI Out layer, but unfortunately that sends the key repeatedly rather than sustaining it - any other ideas?

See also viewtopic.php?t=26039

noedig
Established Member

Re: Questions about Konfyt in live practice

Post by noedig »

melonion wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:30 pm

Can I configure a layer to be monophonic, i.e. only the last played note is sustained? This is nice when I want to play a lead melody while keeping the sustain pedal for the base.

Currently, no, Konfyt doesn't have a monophonic feature where it releases the previous note when the next one is pressed.
What you can do, is have sustain enabled for the bass layer, but not for the melody layer. When you play a bass note and hold sustain, it will sustain that note and you can then play the melody layer (higher up the keyboard) without sustain. When you are ready for the next bass note, you release the sustain pedal, press the new bass note and repress sustain.
Or is there something else you are trying to do?

How about an inbuilt metronome?

I have no plans to implement this. I feel it is unnecessary to spend resources on this when there are other apps that do this well. All DAWs have metronomes which is easy to access and control. And for performances, their metronomes or MIDI click tracks can be routed as required.

I was close to reaching a looping ambient pad that runs in one specific key until I change it by hardcoding the key in a MIDI Out layer, but unfortunately that sends the key repeatedly rather than sustaining it - any other ideas?

I'm not sure what you mean by this, can you clarify/elaborate?

melonion
Established Member

Post by melonion »

What you can do, is have sustain enabled for the bass layer, but not for the melody layer. When you play a bass note and hold sustain, it will sustain that note and you can then play the melody layer (higher up the keyboard) without sustain. When you are ready for the next bass note, you release the sustain pedal, press the new bass note and repress sustain.

By putting a MIDI Filter in between, right?

I'm not sure what you mean by this, can you clarify/elaborate?

Something like the mobile app InfinitePad.
A friend used the upmost octave of the keyboard to switch to another key, and then a sample for that key would be looped/sustained until switching to another key, with a smooth transition. Maybe by faking sustain via a MIDI Out Layer in combination with the hopefully soon-to-come monophonic option? ;)

Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

You might be able to edit an sf2 itself to be monophonic, I don't know, I've not edited one for 20 years :)

You can edit an sfz file to be monophonic but you'd need to load it with sfizz because linuxsampler(the konfyt backend) doesn't recognise the polyphony opcode.

Text about that https://sfzformat.com/opcodes/polyphony

noedig
Established Member

Post by noedig »

melonion wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:37 pm

By putting a MIDI Filter in between, right?

Yes. Edit the bass layer's MIDI filter to allow sustain (CC 64, this should be the case by default), and edit the melody layer's MIDI filter to not pass sustain (remove CC 64 from the allowed list).

In my opinion, your simplest solution at the moment is to play the pad note and manually hold down sustain for as long as you want to play the pad (possibly infinity).

If you're up for a bit of scripting, you could put together a Mididings script or a Reaper JSFX script (Carla even supports JSFX now) that does the "fake sustain" and monophonic thing for you.

noedig
Established Member

Post by noedig »

Attached is a Reaper JSFX script that does what you want for the pad:
When a note is received, a note-off is first sent for the previous note, then the note-on is sent for the newly recreived note. The note-off is ignored, so the note stays on until it is cancelled by the next note-on.
So it's monophonic (each time a new note is received, the previous note is silenced), and notes are sustained until they are cancelled by another note.

You can use it in Reaper or in Carla.
To install:

• Rename the file, removing the .txt extension or replacing it with .jsfx (otherwise Carla doesn't detect it).
  • Place it in ~/.config/REAPER/Effects/
  • In Reaper, opening the FX plugins window will automatically rescan and detect it.
  • In Carla, use the Refresh button in the Add Plugin window to rescan plugins, after which it should be visible in the list.
Attachments
gvdk_note_toggle_mono.txt
(1.19 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
melonion
Established Member

Post by melonion »

Thank You!
Actually, hardcoding the pad key per song with a MIDI Out channel utilizing MIDI 123 All Notes Off seems to work, I just had a loop in my routing which messed things up ^^

Will try your script as well as that would be even more handy, though I somehow have to restrict it to a specific octave so it does not interfere with my playing.

The Monophony I meant seems to be called Portamento, but I was not able to make the respective MIDI Signals work so far:
https://sound.stackexchange.com/questio ... nd-example

your simplest solution at the moment is to play the pad note and manually hold down sustain for as long as you want to play the pad (possibly infinity).

There seems to be a misunderstanding here. I want a permanent ambient pad in the key of the song, but still be able to play normally including the sustain pedal, so this is a non-option.

noedig
Established Member

Post by noedig »

melonion wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:47 am

The Monophony I meant seems to be called Portamento, but I was not able to make the respective MIDI Signals work so far

Portamento is the sliding or bending of the previous note to the new one.
Monophony without portamento just silences the previous note when the new one is pressed.
Portamento is implemented on the synth side so will have to be supported by Fluidsynth, the SFZ engine or the synth you use.