Piano in 162

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

MusicMan74
Established Member

Re: Piano in 162

Post by MusicMan74 »

hi amc252,

Can you please describe the specific lines you added/changed in the files you modified to raise the volume?

Thanks!

amc252
Established Member

Post by amc252 »

Hello,

Piano in 162 comes with two separate perspectives, IvyAudio-PianoIn162-Close.sfz and IvyAudio-PianoIn162-Ambient.sfz depending on microphone placement.
Some VST can mix them but, since I use liquidsfz, I just experimented with the Close perspective.

The original values are as follows:

<region>
sample=Piano in 162 Samples\Close\PedalOffClose\01-PedalOffPianissimo1Close.flac
lokey=a0
hikey=a0
hivel=33
hirand=0.500
pitch_keycenter=a0
volume=6
hicc64=63

<region>
sample=Piano in 162 Samples\Close\PedalOffClose\01-PedalOffPiano1Close.flac
lokey=a0
hikey=a0
lovel=34
hivel=64
hirand=0.500
pitch_keycenter=a0
volume=3
hicc64=63

<region>
sample=Piano in 162 Samples\Close\PedalOffClose\01-PedalOffMezzoPiano1Close.flac
lokey=a0
hikey=a0
lovel=65
hivel=80
hirand=0.500
pitch_keycenter=a0
volume=1
hicc64=63

<region>
sample=Piano in 162 Samples\Close\PedalOffClose\01-PedalOffMezzoForte1Close.flac
lokey=a0
hikey=a0
lovel=81
hivel=101
hirand=0.500
pitch_keycenter=a0
volume=1
hicc64=63

<region>
sample=Piano in 162 Samples\Close\PedalOffClose\01-PedalOffForte1Close.flac
lokey=a0
hikey=a0
lovel=102
hirand=0.500
pitch_keycenter=a0
volume=-12
hicc64=63

I used geany to replace them in bulk, and they become respectively:

Pianissimo
volume=18
Piano
volume=9
MezzoPiano
volume=3
MezzoForte
volume=3
Forte
volume=-4

These adjustments made the library very playable on my setup, but might still need finessing.

NOTE: liquidsfz had problems finding the samples with the path sample=Piano in 162 Samples\Close\PedalOffClose\, so I changed that to sample=Samples\Close\PedalOffClose\ and organized the directory tree accordingly.

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

amc252 wrote:

iquidsfz had problems finding the samples with the path sample=Piano in 162 Samples\Close\PedalOffClose\, so I changed that to sample=Samples\Close\PedalOffClose\ and organized the directory tree accordingly.

It looks like you've got spaces in "Piano in 162 Samples". Remember that if you've got spaces anywhere in the pathname, you need to put double-quotes around it. For example...

Code: Select all

sample="Piano in 162 Samples\Close\PedalOffClose\"

...should have worked. And this would also be the case for Sfzorzando, linuxsampler, sfizz, etc.

But spaces in path/file names are such a PITA, that I would have done what you did anyway, and got rid of them.

Oh yeah, don't also forget that pathnames in sfz files are case-insensitive on Windows, but case-sensitive on (most) linux file systems, I can't tell you the number of folks who copy an sfz directory from windows to linux, and get stymied by this difference. For example, assume a guy makes an sfz on Windows, so he doesn't care about getting the case correct. Let's say he puts his samples in a "SAMPLES" (all caps) directory. And then in his sfz he writes:

default_path=samples\  // All lower case

It works fine on Windows. He copies it over to linux, and it doesn't work now because to linux, "SAMPLES" is not the same directory as "samples". Typically most endusers don't notice this, and they just can't figure out why their sfz player can't find their waves. "I copied over the waves in their SAMPLES folder. They're there. But linuxsamplyer is ignoring that default_path in the sfz file, and complaining it can't find them. Why?? It works on Windows".

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

amc252
Established Member

Post by amc252 »

You're right about spaces in path and your explanation might help others.
That happens often with spaces in the names of SF2 soundfonts too, and have to put them within "".

Personally, I dislike to write long commands, so I'd rather place the samples into a Sample directory and edit the SFZ <regions> removing the original path.

Linux case sensitivity was one of the first things I noticed when I first begain to use it (geez that was more than 20 years ago).
I don't know why Windows works differently, but then again, I never used Windows, and hope I'll never have to.

By the way, I just stumbled on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZezLviLXxI&t=856s where Stu Harrison of Merriam Music plays Piano in 162, among other plugins.

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

amc252 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:09 am

I dislike to write long commands

It could be worse. Try writing a bash script.

Actually, don't. I oppose writing bash scripts. But that's based upon my opposition to capital punishment.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

amc252
Established Member

Post by amc252 »

What I find handy are bash_aliases. I made a dozen for the libraries and soundfonts I use more often, with different options like:

alias sal='liquidsfz /media/dev/files/sounds/sfz/SalamanderGrandPiano4824/SalamanderGrandPianoV3Retuned.sfz'
alias chateau='fluidsynth --server --audio-driver=alsa -o audio.period-size=512 /media/dev/files/sounds/sf2/Chateau_Grand_Lite-v1.0.sf2'
MusicMan74
Established Member

Post by MusicMan74 »

Thanks for your detailed explanation of adjustments, amc252 :)

amc252
Established Member

Post by amc252 »

MusicMan74 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:34 pm

Thanks for your detailed explanation of adjustments, amc252 :)

You're welcome.