The Problem with Film Music

Ask general music theory or songwriting questions, get feedback!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Carl Irwin
Established Member

The Problem with Film Music

Post by Carl Irwin »

Okay... give me a second to seek cover behind something solid...
https://youtu.be/XRBQ5Pge08Y

Enjoy. Or not.

-Carl

tavasti
Established Member

Re: The Problem with Film Music

Post by tavasti »

I don't know what is TLDR for video/speech. What is punchline?

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

Nice video, I don't know how you managed to do one that short :wink:

My two cents.. These actions blockbusters are theme park rides made by theme park owning corporations and it's understandable because with the quality of home entertainment, you need to really push out the special fx to make going to a cinema seem worth it over just staying at home. So, with no decent characters or story then what is a film composer left with but providing simple mood music for a scene "create some tension". Also how much of this film music now is made with everyone using the same few orchestral libraries? That's not going to make things more interesting.

TV Series are better for story telling these days, they are not so time limited and can explores characters. For example, the game of thrones soundtrack had themes for each of the families which added to the characterisation.

As for old hollywood, not sure I want to go back to the old trend of singing the film name in the opening. :D

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

@Carl Irwin Nicely done! I think the analysis that the "temp tracks" generated to "fake through" the film before the composer actually gets to work on it seems right on: generating such a track is so easy these days, and it creates inertia in the process. Mind you, I'm only hearing such tracks at a distance: I haven't found a big Hollywood film worth the ticket price for a decade, now.

Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz