pulseaudio to Pipewire - Ubuntu Studio 22.04

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tkmusic
Established Member

pulseaudio to Pipewire - Ubuntu Studio 22.04

Post by tkmusic »

I've heard a lot of things revolving around Pipewire and wanted to give it a shot. Since my distro already has ALSA, pulseaudio, and JACK with it, I looked up this tutorial and used this site for further support. It seemed to work at first, as Ardour opened up, played, and recorded fine, but when I tried streaming video on different browsers and sites, the video refused to play. I reverted to an earlier configuration to get everything back to where it was, but I would like to try getting Pipewire to work properly with everything. Is there any suggestions or commands I should know to get everything working?

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Re: pulseaudio to Pipewire - Ubuntu Studio 22.04

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

The best command to use when trying to get PulseAudio, PipeWire, and alsa working together is "abracadabra."

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

Pipewire works OK (for my purposes at least) once it has been set up and configured for my circumstances & hardware.

There are many tutorials out there on setting up Pipewire. All of them are in varying stages of deprecation, sub-optimal or incomplete.

Audio on Linux is a moving target. It's complex, there are many ways to do things, documentation is poor, vendor provided configurations are often poor, pace of development and change is relentless.

Some options include:
1) Get a throwaway installation and start working your way through existing Pipewire tutorials and spend days and weeks figuring out what works for your situation.
2) Pay a professional.
3) Install a distro where most issues are hopefully already taken care of.

tkmusic wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:32 pm

I've heard a lot of things revolving around Pipewire and wanted to give it a shot. Since my distro already has ALSA, pulseaudio, and JACK with it, I looked up this tutorial and used this site for further support. It seemed to work at first, as Ardour opened up, played, and recorded fine, but when I tried streaming video on different browsers and sites, the video refused to play. I reverted to an earlier configuration to get everything back to where it was, but I would like to try getting Pipewire to work properly with everything. Is there any suggestions or commands I should know to get everything working?

Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
doombaby

Post by doombaby »

@tkmusic like others have mentioned in this thread the Linux audio subsystem is in a state of flux. I recommend reviewing PipeWire's documentation on implemting JACK server https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipewire ... ack-bridge. As of version 0.3.71 PipeWire's documentation suggests using jackdbus and module-jackdbus-detect to configure Pipewire as a JACK client. The documentation offers two methods for loading the jackdbus module. Either add the jackdbus module to PipeWire's main config for best performance or load the module with

Code: Select all

pactl load-module module-jackdbus-detect

For older versions of PipeWire they suggest using WirePlumber to configure PipeWire as a JACK client.

Last edited by doombaby on Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doombaby

Post by doombaby »

@tkmusic Unless you prefer to run a bleeding edge Linux distro or compile software from source I don't reccomend switching to PipeWire at this time. The problem you are experiencing is also present in Ubuntu Studio 23.04. To address the instability with PipeWire and JACK the distribution maintainers provide a method to switch between PipeWire and Pulse https://ubuntustudio.org/switching-audio-setup/.

Last edited by doombaby on Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tkmusic
Established Member

Post by tkmusic »

doombaby wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:18 pm

@tkmusic Unless you prefer to run a bleading edge Linux distro or compile software from source I don't reccomend switching to PipeWire at this time. The problem you are experiencing is also present in Ubuntu Studio 23.04. To address the instability with PipeWire and JACK the distribution maintainers provide a method to switch between PipeWire and Pulse https://ubuntustudio.org/switching-audio-setup/.

I'll keep that in mind. I've been able to get Ardour to run okay with an ALSA setup for now. I'm just keeping my options open for the future.

trawglodyte
Established Member

Post by trawglodyte »

I hope it's okay to dig up this 6 month old thread. Since you mentioned you had trouble regarding video after installing pipewire, I wanted to point out that in /etc/pipewire/pipewire.conf there is settings for default.video.width default.video.height default.video.rate.num It defaults to 640x480 @ 25fps IIRC.

IDK about you but my default is 1920x1080 @30 fps, and alot of people like 60 fps and higher resolutions. I could be wrong, but getting the settings right in these .conf files to tune your defaults can only help. It doesn't mean you can't do other resolutions either.

The only problem is the .conf files are all over the place and if you go around changing willy-nilly you might have trouble finding your way back to the files unless you keep a document. The safer approach is to put global settings in a .asoundrc file in your home folder. That's an ALSA thing but I think it works for pipewire too and you may be able to set those video paramaters there along with audio defaults.

trawglodyte
Established Member

Post by trawglodyte »

I stumbled across this myself a bit ago. From pipewire documentation. They suggest removing pulseaudio and installing pipewire-pulse and a few other tips on setting up pipewire. https://disk.yandex.com/d/aYIp78uNyD83Tw