Linux stability for music production

Practical tips for recording, editing, and mastering.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Linux stability for music production

Post by AnthonyCFox »

It could be that I'm just a Linux fanboy, but I sincerely believe there is an inherent stability to the Linux kernel that can be experienced physically by the user.

I feel different when I use Windows from when I use Linux and I think much of that is due to it's stability. The Linux kernel design is optimized heavily for stability. As we know, "The internet runs on Linux"...

I think I can feel it - especially when I make music.

That's what I'm talking about. As an artist I feel more comfortable using, and just being around, machines running Linux.
It's a "vibe" I pick up on.

**I'm currently using Windows for music production, because Linux sucks at it - for me. Right now anyway.

I use Reaper and IK Multimedia products. Linux Mint is my distro of choice and it's too much of a hassle to set up and use that stuff - if it's even possible.

[I am NOT going to install Arch Linux - been there, done that - no thank you. (And forget about Guitarix and any other substitute for the IK Multimedia products [that I already own!], they don't even come close to measuring up.)]

Windows, sadly, is my best option. For now.

War, crime, disease, starvation, extreme poverty; these are serious things.
Music? Not so serious. Have some fun! :D
oddy.o.lynx
Established Member

Re: Linux stability for music production

Post by oddy.o.lynx »

I use IK Multimedia products with Wine-Staging (8.2), WINEASIO and YABRIDGE, they all work perfectly

for Guitar amps there's Toneline and Audio Assault which are excellent

https://tonelib.net/
https://audioassault.mx/

Stick with Windows if you choose, but stop whining about Linux here.

merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

It's a bit out there, but I think machines do 'feel' different. In broad brushstrokes there are flaky machines, and stable machines. With a flaky machine we see lots of spinning disks as the system tries to catch up with what you've asked it to do. It 'feels' like the wrong click at the wrong time will crash it. Flaky machines feel delicately balanced, ready to fall over at any time.

There are flaky Linux machines, and flaky machines running other OSs that shall not be named. My experience is that there are more flaky machines running the other OSs.

Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

And some somes are somer than some other somes, now that's somthing!

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Linux is beyond stable, but this does not mean all program running on it are equal stable.

It all depends on what you want. Using windows or mac is probably easier.

I watch a lot of Dr Mix, who uses Cubase. In one of his vids you see cubase crash.

From my computer experiences with cad programs, I can only say, I have never seen a pc that never crashes.
Catia on windows is very stable but sometimes it crashes.

From working with cad programs I learned to safe often. You do not want to loose a lot of work. :)

novalix
Established Member

Post by novalix »

Loki Harfagr wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:55 pm

And some somes are somer than some other somes, now that's somthing!

Reminds me of my favourite website that has been there since forever: https://www.something.com/

AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Post by AnthonyCFox »

Music is more important to me than Linux and it's what I need to do right now. I'll check back on Linux for music production when pipewire is more usable.

**I've been on this forum for 10 years and using Linux on the desktop for almost 20. I believe in Linux for music production; it's just too complicated and buggy right now for serious work - for me anyway.

merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

I don't know why you felt the need to tell us that. This is sad only, to quote Avatar. Call the papers, someone is using Windows.

merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

I can totally see why people use other OSs. OSs are often called 'platforms'. As in : "what platform are you on?". So we do have to ask "platform for what?". With the other OSs they are excellent platforms for buying stuff, having subscriptions to virtual products, and using iLok. If that's what a person is into, it makes complete sense.

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

AnthonyCFox wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:00 am

Music is more important to me than Linux and it's what I need to do right now. I'll check back on Linux for music production when pipewire is more usable.

**I've been on this forum for 10 years and using Linux on the desktop for almost 20. I believe in Linux for music production; it's just too complicated and buggy right now for serious work - for me anyway.

Music also is more important to me than Linux and it's what I need to do right now.
But I don't have time to deal with windows security and version update follies. And modern
macs are still overpriced for my budget.

If one avoids distro-hopping, and maintains a stable working system rather than running on
the update-just-because treadmill, there will be very few complexities and bugs to deal with,
that are linux-only, and not common on any audio workstation or studio. Pipewire is still a joke
without a punchline, a solution wandering in the desert looking for a problem.

Many people use windows and mac only because

1. that's what the schools used, followed by
  2. that's what their employers use, and
  3. that's what the music biz uses.
    I don't foresee any big changes in the numbers. A slow growing but intelligent userbase isn't the worst-case scenario.
    Plenty of cyber-lemmings can attest to that.
    Cheers
Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

I fled Windows a couple years ago mostly because of a) its increasing intrusiveness and b) decreasing user control.

My impressions about Linux in general:

1. Solving a problem is much easier than on Windows: I'm in control of what happens on my pc, not microsoft.
  2. I love the way most settings can be changed simply by editing text files, compared to the way one has to navigate gui menu after gui menu in Windows to accomplish the most trivial things. No wonder they now feel the need to incorporate AI for this stuff in windows 11.

And Linux audio in particular:

1. The possibilities for routing audio and midi with qjackctl is simply phenomenally easy w.r.t. the windows way as I knew it.
  2. WIth regard to point 2 above, setting up the system for real-time audio performance is a breeze.
  3. Rich availability of high quality software.
  4. My only two irreplaceable pieces of windows audio software, Rebirth and Cool Edit, run fine with Wine.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

glowrak guy wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:22 am

... Many people use windows and mac only because

1. that's what the schools used, followed by

2. that's what their employers use, and

3. that's what the music biz uses. ...

I think there is an attitude in the Linux community of "if we only fix that issue in Dolphin, then 2023 will be the year of the Linux desktop." Bugs in file managers or the look of a Linux desktop are not why Linux hasn't taken off, so I think it's good that you've proposed reasons other than that. However the reasons you've listed are fairly trivial compared to the big one :

0. Users use the OS that was pre-installed on the machine when they bought it.

That's the big one. I've posted that before but it doesn't seem to have sunk in. It is a vanishingly small minority of users that have installed any OS. The implication of that then is that for Linux to become more popular it must come pre-installed on mainstream hardware. Until that happens (and it is happening a bit) forget it.

AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Post by AnthonyCFox »

I go on and on about how great I think Linux is and nobody notices, but when I point out the problems it has, I'm a troll?

I truly believe that one day I will be able to quickly and easily set up my recording environment on my favorite Linux distro and it will just work.

Someday... 8) (It's not all bad though: Reaper runs natively on Linux :D and many windows plugins run just fine with Wine - that's a big improvement over how it used to be. Pipewire isn't Ubuntu/Debian friendly yet, but when it is that will be another big step up, I believe. :D )

Until then I'm stuck dual-booting. It's alright, I guess, I have to do it anyway because stupid Curseforge makes me use windose to play my Minecraft modpack. That's really frustrating. Minecraft runs great on Linux, but I have to use windows to play with mods? :twisted:

I really am I Linux guy - I'm just not a fanboy with unrealistic views. I've been using the platform for way too long to not be honest about it. The only real problems I see are the sound system isn't pro audio friendly and the lack of support from the music production community at large. We really need someone with an audience to advocate for Linux.

Btw, Da Vinci Resolve (a video editor that has runs natively on Linux) is taking off in a big way. That's really good for us. The history of computing was text first, then images and then audio. Professional's using Linux is really the key - that's where the real money is and with money comes stability and growth. It's happening with video - music is next, I believe.

Pro audio on Linux isn't there yet, but I think it's coming very soon. :lol:

AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Post by AnthonyCFox »

Da Vinci is being made by the company that is using it for professional work. Yeah, they charge for it, but that's mostly just to cover the cost of distribution and promotion.

Their audio tools are pretty fantastic too. It's not a DAW, but for people who don't need that there's a lot of functionality there.

With Reaper and Da Vinci we just need a sound system that isn't such a pain to work with and we'll own AV production. Studio powered by Linux. (yoda voice: "Take over Hollywood, we will." :P )

AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Post by AnthonyCFox »

Linux Mint is my daily driver. I use it for everything that isn't Minecraft or music.

I don't like windose, but it doesn't get in my way when I do those two things - it's the day to day issues of the OS that I despise :twisted:

If I wanted to triple boot I might be able to get a mostly usable system, but I wouldn't be very comfortable with it; so I'm waiting. I've been waiting a long time, I can wait some more. :roll: