Need simple easy to follow advice

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

dan_flash
Established Member

Re: Need simple easy to follow advice

Post by dan_flash »

Ontical2 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 4:55 pm

I am totally new to Linux.

I have installed Linux Mint.

I have installed Ableton Live 9 Standard and need to use my Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 with it. I have installed Jack and Alsa but can't fathom it's bewildering settings. Installed Focusrite drivers through Vine but they don't work. Can't open Focusrite Control as it doesn't recognise a device. I can use my 4i4 as an MME/Direct X soundcard but it has latency. ASIO doesn't work.

Really clueless as to what to do to make this all work as it does in Windows.

Help appreciated in advance.

G'day skipper. I use Linux Mint (Debian Edition) and a Focusrite Scarlett USB interface for recording. It's plug and play and works brilliantly in Reaper, Renoise, Ardour, etc.

No need for JACK - just plug in your interface, open one of the above DAWs, tweak the settings in the audio device settings from within the DAW until you have acceptable latency and performance.

If you really want something akin to Ableton then try BitWig or something like that and repeat the above steps.

If you need extra plugins, there are thousands of native Linux LV2 and VST plugins out there for you and most are great.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Due to all the off topic I've lost "track" (pun intended) of this topic and so may the the topic starter I'm afraid. To the TS: I'm forced to unsubscribe from this topic. Hope you found or will find a solution for your problem. Good luck! :)

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

artix_linux_user wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:33 am

Using wordings like the best advice is too far fetched.

It's not far fetched, it's just hyperbole.

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

artix_linux_user wrote:

IYou really seem to be annoyed

I'm not annoyed. I'm grumpy. In the last couple months, I've developed and tested nearly 50 LV2 plugins. <Blech!> You'd be grumpy too. I'm especially surly after making 48KHz versions for endusers who then make me lose my lunch by mentioning Muse Research. No more 48KHz for you. From now on, all the NoBudget instruments will play on your system out of tune, and with funky intonation... just like real orchestra players.

Here's another Muse Research anecdote. They are/were using their own modified version of linux/WINE, with optimizations they never fed back to the WINE project. When someone made an issue out of the fact that they were violating the GPL by not making the source code available, they sent the guy some "clumps" of code. But it didn't actually compile/run. The guy had to piece together a working OS, with no help from Muse, whom he described as "uncooperative assholes".

They are/were no friends of linux. And I want to reiterate that I fully believe that the only reason they used linux is because, as a low-volume retailer, they probably couldn't get a volume discount on windows' licenses, and figured that if they had to pay the normal wholesale price, it would significantly push up the price of an already over-priced product.

Linuxmusician01 wrote:

find a solution for your problem.

He didn't seem to have any problem. He was only looking for advice, and the first two replies gave him the best advice he'll get. (Here, "best" is admittedly used in a subjective setting. But even if you don't think it was the "best", I think everyone agrees that, given what we now know about Muse, the "worst" advice would be: buy a Receptor.)

But if he ignores imposter's and my "best advice". I'm sure he will be back with a problem. In that case, I gladly defer to the rest of you to offer advice. I'm willing to help someone who is an innocent, unwitting victim of JACK, pulse audio, pipewire, WINE, etc. But if someone willingly chooses that stuff, he deserves what he's going to get.