purely software controlled AI?

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jaborandi
Established Member

purely software controlled AI?

Post by jaborandi »

Does anything like this exist, or has any company done any experiments in this?

like, AI being an external box with all the inputs, preamps etc, but NO knobs at all
with all the controlling done from the PC over the USB

this would open limitless possibilities - such as PRESETS for everything - i.e. you could switch to the perfect, tested settings for the specific instruments etc. recording use case, with a single keyboard shortcut

I know knobs are a tradition and people won't give up on it easily / soon, but was wondering if some brand at least tried something in that direction?

Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Re: purely software controlled AI?

Post by Loki Harfagr »

April Fool day again?

jaborandi
Established Member

Post by jaborandi »

Loki Harfagr wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:08 pm

April Fool day again?

okay, sorry, I figured from this reaction, that I asked something completely stupid
so I checked again, and found there seem to be some software-only controlled devices, but like huge, expensive, professional matrix mixers, like this one: https://www.tascam.eu/en/mx-8a

or are there similar semi-professional home-studio level devices e.g. 4 inputs etc.? Can you name any? Thanks

and in case of an AI that has both software and knobs, like this:

https://www.tascam.eu/en/series_208i

do they really allow to control everything that can be controlled with the knobs?
and how do they work togeher? i.e. I set a software control to 0 while the corresponding hardware knob is at MAX, then how do I raise that level with the knob?

again, my questions might be from the lack of knowledge - I have only worked with one, small USB AI - Tascam US4x4 - and it doesn't seem to have any dedicated software control (apart from some settings) and cannot be controlled with ALSA on Linux

Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

Ah OK, sorry! By AI you mean Audio Interface and not again yetanothermisconceptionaboutartificialneuronsorwhatever like recent hype posts fuss about :D

Well, I don't know much about purely hardware audio interface and mixers but there are plenty of people here that do and will certainly help you to find a way :)

bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

jaborandi wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:05 pm

Does anything like this exist, or has any company done any experiments in this?

like, AI being an external box with all the inputs, preamps etc, but NO knobs at all
with all the controlling done from the PC over the USB

this would open limitless possibilities - such as PRESETS for everything - i.e. you could switch to the perfect, tested settings for the specific instruments etc. recording use case, with a single keyboard shortcut

I know knobs are a tradition and people won't give up on it easily / soon, but was wondering if some brand at least tried something in that direction?

I'd prefer the opposite: audio interfaces that are completely controllable via their hardware. For us Linuxers, there is always the problem how to control internal mixers etc. because the vendors' software is avaliable for Windows and Mac only.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/