Pipewire and compiling software with Jack dependency

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Impostor
Established Member

Pipewire and compiling software with Jack dependency

Post by Impostor »

If you run pipewire and don't have jack installed, do you have problems compiling programs from source when jack is a dependency thereof?

Asking for a friend.

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Re: Pipewire and compiling software with Jack dependency

Post by Audiojunkie »

Impostor wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:06 pm

If you run pipewire and don't have jack installed, do you have problems compiling programs from source when jack is a dependency thereof?

Asking for a friend.

I guess it would depend, but I haven't tested it myself. When installed on the system, pipewire supposedly reports itself as jack, so if that is sufficient to meet the dependency requirement, it should work.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Audiojunkie wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:11 pm

Asking for a friend.

I guess it would depend, but I haven't tested it myself. When installed on the system, pipewire supposedly reports itself as jack, so if that is sufficient to meet the dependency requirement, it should work.

I would think one still needs the jack development packages, or will there be pipewire replacements for those?

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

Impostor wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:27 pm
Audiojunkie wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 4:11 pm

Asking for a friend.

I would think one still needs the jack development packages, or will there be pipewire replacements for those?

That's a good question.... I'm not sure.... I try to avoid compiling wherever possible. :P

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

artix_linux_user wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:43 am

Looking at the Arch user repo:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/qtractor-git

libjack.so (jack-git, lib32-jack-git, lib32-jack, jack2-git, jack, pipewire-full-jack-git, pipewire-common-jack-git, pipewire-jack-git, jack2, lib32-jack2, lib32-pipewire-jack, pipewire-jack)

So yes, without thinking twice I would bet that you can build a jack dependent software with pipewire-jack, at least if you are on Arch or Artix Linux.

Yes, that is what the dependencies say. The packages in the () can all be used individually to provide libjack.so.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

sysrqer wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:47 pm

Yes, that is what the dependencies say. The packages in the () can all be used individually to provide libjack.so.

Yeah, but packages on debian/ubuntu can have different contents from those on arch. There are no -dev packages on Arch since the contents of those packages (needed for building stuff) are already included with the packages on Arch.

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Impostor wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 6:43 pm

Yeah, but packages on debian/ubuntu can have different contents from those on arch. There are no -dev packages on Arch since the contents of those packages (needed for building stuff) are already included with the packages on Arch.

Sure, but you don't need to install jack to compile jack programs on ubuntu, you would just need the dev package, libjack-dev. At least, it always used to be that way when I used it.

Musicteacher
Established Member

Post by Musicteacher »

The files that are needed for development, but not needed for normal usage, are the header files, for instance
/usr/include/jack/jack.h
On Arch, they are both included in the "normal" jack package as well as in the pipewire-jack package.
I don't know for ubuntu-based distros, but you can look which package provides the header file I mentioned above.

As jack-aware apps work with pipewire without recompiling it should even be possible to use a jack development package together with pipewire user package, if the later one does not provide the development files.