wrong synth (nstrument) sounding in Rosegarden

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

D-Tuned
Established Member

wrong synth (nstrument) sounding in Rosegarden

Post by D-Tuned »

I'm just posting this for those who might be looking for an answer. If you assign a track to let's say Hydrogen but hear a grand-piano instead or a mix of a violin and drums go and uncheck all automatic jack connection boxes in the preferences of related software running at the time. Do all your jack connections manually and carefully. Being lazy and having relied on sometimes wrong auto connections the problem was driving me up the wall, until I found ther answer on the RG list. The problem, once identified codewise, will likely get fixed, sometime.

Artificial-Stupidity will never be competitive
introducenasty

Re: wrong synth (nstrument) sounding in Rosegarden

Post by introducenasty »

Connect the jack manually but it still doesn't fix the problem, what should I do?

Last edited by introducenasty on Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harry_Krishnerd
Established Member

Post by Harry_Krishnerd »

introducenasty wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:00 am

Connect the jack manually but it still doesn't fix the problem, what should I do?

Check to make sure that your track is set to send on the correct MIDI channel.
The pic shows track 5 set to send and receive on MIDI channel 5. Note that you can set any track to any combination of channels in/out and that the default is to receive on all channels.

Attachments
RGN-MIDI-chan.png
RGN-MIDI-chan.png (16.89 KiB) Viewed 1922 times
D-Tuned
Established Member

Post by D-Tuned »

I still have this problem if I have Hydrogen, qsynth and ZAFS dssi in use. I have found no way to get around it.

Discussed in another thread are unwanted/unknown sounds and THAT comes form unwanted control messages that are visible when you edit a segment in 'Event list editor'. When I take out all the control messages the problem clears. If you hear weird sounds but the problem clears when you just cycle the play arow it's a pretty good sign that this is what's happening.

Harry_Krishnerd
Established Member

Post by Harry_Krishnerd »

CC messages aren't likely to be making any sounds by themselves. However, for whatever reason, Rosegarden default config is to send CC 121 whenever you start or restart which can be annoying to say the least.
Try going to preferences -> MIDI and uncheck Allow Reset All Controllers (CC 121).
Close and restart Rosegarden and see if that fixes the issue.

Attachments
RGN-MIDI-pref1.png
RGN-MIDI-pref1.png (67.2 KiB) Viewed 1869 times
D-Tuned
Established Member

Post by D-Tuned »

That page is all unchecked in my RG, still got a blast of them when I posted. Haven't done much since then.