PipeWire 0.3.71 Released With Performance Improvements, Zero Latency JACK D-Bus Bridge

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

Audiojunkie
Established Member

PipeWire 0.3.71 Released With Performance Improvements, Zero Latency JACK D-Bus Bridge

Post by Audiojunkie »

https://www.phoronix.com/news/PipeWire-0.3.71-Released

Written by Michael Larabel in PipeWire on 17 May 2023 at 06:48 AM EDT. 11 Comments
PIPEWIRE PipeWire 0.3.71 is out today as the newest update to this now widely-used open-source solution for managing Linux audio and video streams and serving as a viable replacement to the likes of PulseAudio and JACK for audio needs on the Linux desktop.

PipeWire 0.3.71 brings "many" performance improvements and various efficiency enhancements, continued work on BAP devices, and a new zero-latency JACK D-Bus bridge was added.

The release notes explain of the new JACK D-Bus bridge for PipeWire:
"A new zero-latency jackdbus bridge was added. This works similar to what PulseAudio has to offer and creates a sink/source when jackdbus is started. It is however much more efficient and runs the complete PipeWire graph as a synchronous JACK client with no added latency."

Among the performance work is on making activation of remote nodes more efficient, fewer event FDs are required on clients, less callback overhead in performance critical paths, an optimized poll function, and more.

Downloads and more details on the PipeWire 0.3.71 release via the FreeDesktop.org GitLab.

Impostor
Established Member

Re: PipeWire 0.3.71 Released With Performance Improvements, Zero Latency JACK D-Bus Bridge

Post by Impostor »

But does Jack transport work in Pipewire yet?

Impostor
Established Member

Re: PipeWire 0.3.71 Released With Performance Improvements, Zero Latency JACK D-Bus Bridge

Post by Impostor »

Impostor wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:17 pm

No one knows? It's rather important to me. I see distro's left and right jumping on the pipewire hype train, so I'd like to know what obstacles I'll be encountering when the day finally arrives that I need to upgrade my distro.

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Impostor wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 11:12 am
Impostor wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:17 pm

No one knows? It's rather important to me. I see distro's left and right jumping on the pipewire hype train, so I'd like to know what obstacles I'll be encountering when the day finally arrives that I need to upgrade my distro.

I don't use it myself but there are mentions of it in the changelog and bug tracker back in 2021 so I assume it's in there.

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

I don’t use it myself, but it should work. i use a simple DAW-Plugin type of arrangement. Pipewire replaces both servers—PulseAudio and JACK. As I understand it, you should be able to install qjackctrl and treat it just like jack. Imagine you built a linux machine, and you just installed JACK on it. That’s the state you begin with with pipewire. Anyone who uses pipewire currently should be able to test this.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

sysrqer wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 11:57 am

I don't use it myself but there are mentions of it in the changelog and bug tracker back in 2021 so I assume it's in there.

Yeah, but what worries me a bit is that when I google "pipewire jack transport" I only find (old) posts saying that it doesn't work (yet), but can find nothing at all about the current state of affairs.

Edit, found it:

• JACK transport sync is now implemented correctly so that preroll
    in bitwig works.

https://github.com/PipeWire/pipewire/blob/master/NEWS: PipeWire 0.3.36 (2021-09-16)

milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

"runs the complete PipeWire graph as a synchronous JACK client"

Wait, what? So, kinda ish like Carla in single-client mode? Interesting.

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh