Carla and calf plugins: Failed to load plugin

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

gabtram
Established Member

Carla and calf plugins: Failed to load plugin

Post by gabtram »

Hi to all!
How are you?
After months of choosing i finally installed my arch linux based music envirnoment and i'm configuring it for music!
Installed basci arch then add an xmonad mod axarve for the gui, only a window manager not a DE, even if some in arch prefer a clean install but i didn't want to lose much time in it but in music.

So i configured pipewire with pulse and jack. I have wireplumber with some errors that i report here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=285838 but the QT gui of pipewire works well and i can use it with my default audio card.

Before start to add new input devices, sucha as midi key or external audio card, i tried to test something now with audacity and Carla.

Installed carla with pacman from aur repo and then install calf plugin after cloning the official repo and following the install instructions.
I also checked cal-plugins dependencies in AUR and add link with ld config.

I start Carla, in the add plugin i can see those calf lv2 plugins but i receive this error:
Failed to load plugin
/usr/local/lib/lv2/calf.lv2/calf.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Why? I can't understand.
What do you think?
Gab

Impostor
Established Member

Re: Carla and calf plugins: Failed to load plugin

Post by Impostor »

Probably they reside in /usr/lib/lv2. Add that path in Carla for its lv2 plugin scan (it should be there by default though).

By the way, maybe it's better to install Calf via kx.studio. That's where Carla originates too.

gabtram
Established Member

Post by gabtram »

Impostor wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:42 pm

Probably they reside in /usr/lib/lv2. Add that path in Carla for its lv2 plugin scan (it should be there by default though).
By the way, maybe it's better to install Calf via kx.studio. That's where Carla originates too.

Hi,

thanks for your reply. The calf plugins are /usr/local/lib/lv2/. The plugin managment in Carla list all of those and the and directory. In the path configuration the dir is correct. So maybe there is aproblem with some external lib or dependencies not installed or maybe some permissions cause the this dir is owned by root? Maybe i can create symlink inside my home directory? Or Have i to move the dir in the home dir changing some permissions?
Where Carla generate a log? Or can i run Carla in debug mode? I'm on arch linux

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

gabtram wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:35 pm

The calf plugins are /usr/local/lib/lv2/.

Here, lib/lv2/calf.lv2/calf.so is a link to a shared libary file /usr/lib/calf/calf.so
Is it a link with you too? Maybe the link doesn't point to an existing file?

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Artix is right about the problems with the Calf GUI's (they use GTK2 which is rather old), but if you're lucky they still work correctly.

I'm using Carla and Calf from the kx.studio repos, and they work fine together. Also, Calf still works fine in MusE.

Attachments
Calf with Carla
Calf with Carla
Untitled33.png (244.46 KiB) Viewed 1616 times
gabtram
Established Member

Post by gabtram »

Impostor wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:51 am
gabtram wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:35 pm

The calf plugins are /usr/local/lib/lv2/.

Here, lib/lv2/calf.lv2/calf.so is a link to a shared libary file /usr/lib/calf/calf.so
Is it a link with you too? Maybe the link doesn't point to an existing file?

This is exaclt the path...
Really don't know maybe i miss some dependencies.

I use arch with pipewire and jack and pluse client ad they work fine in audacity.
I tihnk it dependes how the system load the libs. Also installed gtk2 libs.
I don't use a Desktop Envirnoment, i use only a window manager and set my .bashrc to start with xmonad only for my user.
I'm sure there is something about the loading. I opened an issue on the git page. I hope falltx maybe help, also ask for help in Unfa channel.

The logic behind Linux and the distros generally is the same. It couldn't be GUI problem.
If Carla can't load the plugins, that i repeat are inside the right path, also calf.so in ca/usr/local/lib/calf, also Ardour will not load the plugins. But carla instead, after installation with pacman directly from AUR, could load the standard plugins that comes with it.
When i will have some response i'll wirte to you.

Thanks really for your help, sharing problems is always a good way to think!
Bye

EDIT: I pissed off a person on arch who suggested, quite rightly, that I must install arch at a minimum and everything from scratch. But out of too much haste and laziness I installed a mod: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php ... 6#p2100146. I hope to get to the bottom of it

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

artix_linux_user wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 1:00 pm

Thanks for the info.
What can we do to make sure we have all the dependencies for gtk2/3 and all configs right?
Installing all desktop environment metapackages like metapackage xfce4 and meta package gnome desktop and meta package KDE?

I must add that I run Carla-git 2.6.0 instead of 2.5.4. I remember Calf not working (crashing and/or not properly rendering the GUI) with Carla 2.5.x. It did work with 2.4.x, and does again with 2.6.0.

About those gtk dependencies, I never manually installed those to get something to run, but to build MusE with gtk support:

Code: Select all

LV2 Gtk2 User Interface support:

Some LV2 plugins may provide a Gtk2 based graphical User Interface. To view them, the following is required (development files): gtkmm-2 http://www.gtkmm.org gtk+-2 http://www.gtk.org

And the Calf dependencies (on Linux Mint):

Attachments
dependencies.png
dependencies.png (37.35 KiB) Viewed 1575 times
Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

artix_linux_user wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 3:03 pm

well - one last thing I would want to know....carla git...?
So! Has clap support landed in Carla already?
thanks in advance

Attachments
action.png
action.png (217.6 KiB) Viewed 1505 times
clap.png
clap.png (54.25 KiB) Viewed 1508 times
gabtram
Established Member

Post by gabtram »

Impostor wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 2:07 pm

I must add that I run Carla-git 2.6.0 instead of 2.5.4. I remember Calf not working (crashing and/or not properly rendering the GUI) with Carla 2.5.x. It did work with 2.4.x, and does again with 2.6.0.

About those gtk dependencies, I never manually installed those to get something to run, but to build MusE with gtk support:

LV2 Gtk2 User Interface support:

Some LV2 plugins may provide a Gtk2 based graphical User Interface. To view them, the following is required (development files): gtkmm-2 http://www.gtkmm.org gtk+-2 http://www.gtk.org

And the Calf dependencies (on Linux Mint):

Hi impostor!
Thanks very much fory infos. Are very valuable.
So i installed carla 2.5.4 so i think rfirst thing is to install Carla 2.6.0.
Have yu installed it directly from git copiying repo? Or in another way?
I have to understand how to use

yay

and install package maybe?
Someone have experiences in Arch Linux?

Thanks

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

I'm on a Ubuntu-based distro (mint) and have simply added the kx.studio repo to my sources list, and installed Carla-git via Synaptic (package manager on Mint). But I guess

git clone https://github.com/falkTX/Carla.git

and so on would work just as well as long as you take care of dependencies.

I've no experience with Arch.

gabtram
Established Member

Post by gabtram »

Hi,

installed Carla-git from Aur (it installed the 2.6.0-alpah1 ver) and calf following install instructions: https://calf-studio-gear.org/ and downloading the last.tar and it worked!
Maybe there was my mistake installing calf libraries with sudo? This time i downloaded it with my user and sudo only when i launched make install as the instrctions said: https://github.com/calf-studio-gear/cal ... er/INSTALL
So now i hae a working enviromnment based on Arch and Axarva (an xmonad mod thata uses ecww and some other tools...that i have to learn!)
I expanded and work with two monitors.
But super, i have configured pipewire with jack and pulse client.
Installed calf studio plugins and they worked with Carla and audacity. the qt graph gui of pipewire works very well.

Thanks for help!
Bye

funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

I'm on Arch and Calf does not work with Carla or Mixbus32C. Calf seems to be really old. Like the last time anything was done according to Github was years ago. Could that be part of the issue?

gabtram
Established Member

Post by gabtram »

funkmuscle wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 5:30 pm

I'm on Arch and Calf does not work with Carla or Mixbus32C. Calf seems to be really old. Like the last time anything was done according to Github was years ago. Could that be part of the issue?

Hi,

i want do a premise. I'm web manager, i palyed for years with servers but not to configuring olny for my purpose. I'm a music passionate. For years i ppalyed and recorded something on windows when i realized that i worked with linux applications, i 'm an open source enthusiast for the philosophy, i'm not a developer absolutely even if i can understand some code.

Now after many years i decided to create a music workstation and after many months i choose Arch. Arch is more complicated ,cause you have to configure all from scratch if you really want to get all working. And the arch community is really exigent, and they have their arguments.

So i configure all from scratch...from audio drivers to rest...except for gui but is not the subject of this topic!

Anyway the problem isn't Calf. I don't know as impostor said is a problem of calf plugins with spome versio of Carla but my conf now is:
Carla-git - Install it from AUR following the wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Arch_User_Repository
Install Calf repo following this: https://calf-studio-gear.org/ choose compile from source.
Remember to execute all of these commands with your user that have to be inside the audio group.
And only use sudo for the command make install otherwise there could be permissions problems cause the dirs could not be read by user but only by root.

I hope it helps.
Bye

funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Oh yes all that helps and it does work. And you are correct it's not a problem with Calf, In my case it's an actual issue with mixbus.

People using all different kinds of distros are experienced in the same thing according to the forum at Harrison's!! Ardour and reaper works fine with these plugins. I just don't know why the official repo in Arch, that version of Carla is now working but the git version works. 2.6 maybe???

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

gabtram wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:43 pm

[...]Anyway the problem isn't Calf. I don't know as impostor said is a problem of calf plugins with spome versio of Carla

Dunno if you solved the problem yet. But the Calf plugins use Gtk2. That's not supported anymore. If not now, you'll probably run into trouble in the future w/ Calf. It's unavoidable. You will not be able to see the graphical user interface (GUI) the way it was meant/designed to. That's what @Impostor meant.

Good luck! :)