Carla and calf plugins: Failed to load plugin

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

funkmuscle
Established Member

Re: Carla and calf plugins: Failed to load plugin

Post by funkmuscle »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:06 am
gabtram wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:43 pm

[...]Anyway the problem isn't Calf. I don't know as impostor said is a problem of calf plugins with spome versio of Carla

Dunno if you solved the problem yet. But the Calf plugins use Gtk2. That's not supported anymore. If not now, you'll probably run into trouble in the future w/ Calf. It's unavoidable. You will not be able to see the graphical user interface (GUI) the way it was meant/designed to. That's what @Impostor meant.

Good luck! :)

Is Calf even still active? I mean this Gtk issue has been an issue for sometime now. I remember having issues with it years ago with Ardour. Dunno how it was resolved but since then I've been ok with it till lately.

LSP is the way to go!! Vladimir has done a freaking awesome job, Don't get me wrong, Calf is amazing but as you've said, Calf is unreliable and doesn't look like it's active. 2 years ago was the last activity. That alone scares me as that can be messy for some projects that used Calf, you put aside for a time only to come back and crap needs to be done all over due to Calf ain't working.

I'm currently in that position as an old song I did I started to work on again only to have to redo everything that I used Calf on.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

funkmuscle wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:05 pm

Is Calf even still active? I mean this Gtk issue has been an issue for sometime now. I remember having issues with it years ago with Ardour. Dunno how it was resolved but since then I've been ok with it till lately.

LSP is the way to go!! Vladimir has done a freaking awesome job, Don't get me wrong, Calf is amazing but as you've said, Calf is unreliable and doesn't look like it's active. 2 years ago was the last activity. That alone scares me as that can be messy for some projects that used Calf, you put aside for a time only to come back and crap needs to be done all over due to Calf ain't working.

I'm currently in that position as an old song I did I started to work on again only to have to redo everything that I used Calf on.

Yeah. We all need to switch to an alternative for our beloved Calf plugins. What exactly is LSP? Do you mean Linux Studio Plugins (link)? They seem as feature rich as Calf but with a less clear interface. I don't know how that interface style is called, paper cut? Guess we'll have to get used to that. Every GUI is like that nowadays.

funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 10:27 am
funkmuscle wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:05 pm

Yeah. We all need to switch to an alternative for our beloved Calf plugins. What exactly is LSP? Do you mean Linux Studio Plugins (link)? They seem as feature rich as Calf but with a less clear interface. I don't know how that interface style is called, paper cut? Guess we'll have to get used to that. Every GUI is like that nowadays.

Yep those plugins. Check them out you'll really love them once you get used to how it works.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

funkmuscle wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 4:26 pm

Yep those plugins. Check them out you'll really love them once you get used to how it works.

The LSP plugin suite is hardly a viable replacement for the Calf suite though. No flanger, phaser, or ring modulator. And Calf Vintage Delay, and Calf Reverb are much easier to use than LSP's delay and reverb imo.

No, I dread the day on which Calf stops working here.

funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Impostor wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 5:06 pm

The LSP plugin suite is hardly a viable replacement for the Calf suite though. No flanger, phaser, or ring modulator. And Calf Vintage Delay, and Calf Reverb are much easier to use than LSP's delay and reverb imo.

That's the issue with Linux. Devs making awesome apps but it's usually one dude doing a project. Life gets in the way and those apps can stop being updated. For that exact reason I try to use and learn as much as possible all the plugin suites available to us.

Under Linux for me, I can't just rely on one suite because of that reason.
Plus my music is not synth based or EDM so phasers, flangers etc comes from pedals. Many different delays and reverbs to chose from under Linux so I get by. Never used Calf delays or reverb so yes, maybe for users like me, the loss of Calf may not be an impact.

Again though, we're still speculating.. Fingers cross that Calf is still alive or someone picks it up and continue the great work.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

funkmuscle wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:22 pm

That's the issue with Linux. Devs making awesome apps but it's usually one dude doing a project. Life gets in the way and those apps can stop being updated. For that exact reason I try to use and learn as much as possible all the plugin suites available to us.

Under Linux for me, I can't just rely on one suite because of that reason.
Plus my music is not synth based or EDM so phasers, flangers etc comes from pedals. Many different delays and reverbs to chose from under Linux so I get by. Never used Calf delays or reverb so yes, maybe for users like me, the loss of Calf may not be an impact.

Again though, we're still speculating.. Fingers cross that Calf is still alive or someone picks it up and continue the great work.

Amen.

gabtram
Established Member

Post by gabtram »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:06 am
gabtram wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:43 pm

[...]Anyway the problem isn't Calf. I don't know as impostor said is a problem of calf plugins with spome versio of Carla

Dunno if you solved the problem yet. But the Calf plugins use Gtk2. That's not supported anymore. If not now, you'll probably run into trouble in the future w/ Calf. It's unavoidable. You will not be able to see the graphical user interface (GUI) the way it was meant/designed to. That's what @Impostor meant.

Good luck! :)

Hi,

in this case i assure you the problem is not calf. You can start anyway you want...eith gtk2...or gtk3. The better thing, like archu power users suggest, is to avoid: session manager, desktop environment but install only a video server (X11 or wayland) and start the program fdrom cli. Or at maximu install a window manager, and configure the user to start at the startup with .xinitrc.
I install a mod cause i didn't want to lose much time but if you follow these guidelines, in arch i precise, you will not have a problem with the framework.

This is a response fro march forum:

gabtram wrote:
... can start only in GTK o QT and i think are incomaptible with wayland, or i misunderstanding?

Gtk and Qt are widget toolkits and are not directly linked to any DE. A couple of the major DEs are built around tools using just one of those toolkits, but the toolkits themselves will run just fine on any DE or on no DE at all.

Both Gtk and Qt based software will also run just fine under wayland. This was not always the case, so if you are reading some very old reviews you may get outdated information.

gabtram
Established Member

Post by gabtram »

funkmuscle wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:12 pm

Oh yes all that helps and it does work. And you are correct it's not a problem with Calf, In my case it's an actual issue with mixbus.

People using all different kinds of distros are experienced in the same thing according to the forum at Harrison's!! Ardour and reaper works fine with these plugins. I just don't know why the official repo in Arch, that version of Carla is now working but the git version works. 2.6 maybe???

Hi,

really don't know why but i assure if you install carla alpha and calf you wouldn't have problems.
Now for example i have some conerning with zynaddsubfx, i can't recompile it in my arch distro. It will the subjcet for the next topic.

gabtram
Established Member

Post by gabtram »

Thanks for the suggestions. I have defintely test them.
But i'm yet configuring my environment.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

gabtram wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:06 am

[...]
Gtk and Qt are widget toolkits and are not directly linked to any DE. A couple of the major DEs are built around tools using just one of those toolkits, but the toolkits themselves will run just fine on any DE or on no DE at all.

Both Gtk and Qt based software will also run just fine under wayland. This was not always the case, so if you are reading some very old reviews you may get outdated information.

That's why I don't understand why Gtk2 is such a problem with the Calf plugins. Calf is LV2, isn't it? Might that be the incompatibility: LV2 and Gtk2? Can anybody who develops for Linux explain?

These sort of problems have been driving me crazy the last couple of years. You get used to a piece of popular software under Linux and a few years later it's gone. Updating your distro is always a pain in the *ss. I gotta give Microsoft credit for that: if I want to use an application from 2001 in Win 11 I'll bet you a million dollars it'll work.

An update in Linux is not always an upgrade.

CraigPid
Established Member

Post by CraigPid »

I had a problem recently where Calf plugins would not load in Arch. As I recall there was some kind of error regarding fluidsynth. I ended up downgrading libinstpatch which is a dependency of fluidsynth.