US Leading Console Brand Harrison Joins Solid State Logic

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

sjzstudio
Established Member

US Leading Console Brand Harrison Joins Solid State Logic

Post by sjzstudio »

funkmuscle
Established Member

Re: US Leading Console Brand Harrison Joins Solid State Logic

Post by funkmuscle »

That was what I was about to ask when I received the email.

I really kinda feel we're gonna be forgotten.
I have Mixbus32c. Had for a few years now since winning it.

Maybe they buy out Ardour too. May start focusing on Reaper more.

On the other side, Linux users who don't mind paying for things, they may still cater.

Who really knows. This could put Linux on the map but what happens to floss?

It's all about the dollar for the big companies.

Linux doesn't have the ability to keep up with the other 2 platforms as we believe in free.

May have to look at ways to use air windows stuff for that warmth I got from Mixbus32c if Linux support stops.

Hmm, maybe I should just chill and stop freaking myself out as it could be the best thing ever for Linux musicians :D

wjl
Established Member

Post by wjl »

funkmuscle wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:57 am

Maybe they buy out Ardour too.

That's the good thing about FOSS (Libre Software): since these aren't companies, you can't buy them. And even if a sole headmaster decides that the code would be his, and sells it, just fork it. No need to panic...

more about me on my blog
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

It's worth pointing to this post from Paul Davis in the Ardour forum:

And to offer perspective from the purely-Ardour side:

In the best case scenario, Audiotonix/SSL involvement with Mixbus brings more resources to software development, and both Ardour & Mixbus benefit (probably significantly) from this.

In the worst case scenario, Ardour (including Harrison’s non-proprietary contributions up till now) learns to do better at loading Mixbus sessions and continues along its own two-decades-plus path towards… well, whatever it is we’re moving towards.

In short, I don’t see any downsides for Ardour itself, and there is a significant possibility of really significant upsides. However, we likely won’t know for sure for at least 6-12 months.

funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Maybe Ardour can incorporate airwindows consoles and other analog approach.

SSL was linked to Ardour before Harrison but that fell through for some reason.

But yep, Ardour and Reaper will get us by.

Ha I typed floss instead of foss :mrgreen:

dan_flash
Established Member

Post by dan_flash »

I tried Mixbus once a while ago and really wanted to like it but the mixer is too big for my laptop screen and they never implemented scrolling haha...! So now it's Ardour with Airwindows and ACMT plugs for analogue flavour.

I can't personally see any major shake up happening at Harrison now, at least not with Mixbus and Ardour. I suspect everything will be OK and will just move forward business as usual. But who knows. As has been mentioned here, there are other great DAWs for us Linux users if anything goes south at Ardour.

merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

It could be good for Linux, and I hope it is.

Commercial ventures and Linux music have not gone well so far. MOD devices -- went bust. The Muse group bought Audacity and put in telemetry. The Muse group bought Musescore and dropped JACK. There were issues with the developer of VCVRack.

Still, I'm a hopeless optimist it seems, and this may be good, good outcomes being that SSL might care if their hardware works on Linux, SSL software could get ported to Linux, and it could mean more funding for Ardour and Mixbus.

funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

I emailed Ben and he said all of them in the office use Linux as a platform and they said so far nothing has changed and they were told that support for our platform will still be there. He also mentioned to me that the company has also bought out other companies and they are still running independently and he said it could be a good thing for us because now we may get SSL plugins made for our platform so he said so far it looks like a good thing but nothing is written in stone yet but he said it's still looks quite positive for us so fingers crossed.