Transition from Windows10 to Linux OS (as a normal, and as a musician/sound tech)

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Impostor
Established Member

Re: Transition from Windows10 to Linux OS (as a normal, and as a musician/sound tech)

Post by Impostor »

Death wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:53 am

Yes, this is also the issue I have with FL Studio; Latency. The fix is to install and setup 'wineasio'. However, every attempt I've had at this over the years has failed. I did have it working on Linux Mint at one point years ago thanks to another FLS, Linux user who was kind enough to write a script for me

I'm on Linux Mint 20.2. The following works fine for me:

Activate the kx repo, and install wineasio.
In terminal, run

Code: Select all

~$ regsvr32 wineasio.dll

(I only have a single (64 bit) .wine prefix installed on my pc, containing all windows stuff (both 32 and 64 bit): my games, Rebirth, Cooledit, and now FLStudio demo. Works fine for me.)

(Different wine versions have specific instructions: https://github.com/wineasio/wineasio)

Download flstudio demo, and install with wine, untick any asio stuff (at least, I did).
In installation dir, run

Code: Select all

wine FL64.exe

In audio settings, wineasio can be selected, provided you have Jack running. In QJackCtl's graph FL now shows up too.

Latency seems fine, using my midi keyboard.

tavasti
Established Member

Re: Transition from Windows10 to Linux OS (as a normal, and as a musician/sound tech)

Post by tavasti »

Impostor wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:20 pm

What are your jack settings? And have you tried creating real track in FL? Minimal one track works ok, but realistic songs with more tracks have been problem with both Ableton and Mixcraft. Or ok, with Ableton even small projects are problem.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

tavasti wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:20 pm

What are your jack settings? And have you tried creating real track in FL? Minimal one track works ok, but realistic songs with more tracks have been problem with both Ableton and Mixcraft. Or ok, with Ableton even small projects are problem.

Did a little experiment: jack settings are 48kHz, 256 frames/period, 2 periods/buffer.

1. Ran standalone Pianoteq (Jack), and FruityLoops (Wineasio) simultaneously.
  2. Midi input ports both set to midi-through-port-0 (alsa). Midi keyboard output also to midi-through-port-0.
  3. Loaded demosong "Complextreon" in FL, let it run, volume turned down on all mixer channels except new channel where I loaded Fruity Kick.
  4. Loaded Vibraphone in Pianoteq, effects off.
  5. Depressing midi key now sounds both Vibraphone and Bass kick.
  6. Record in Cooledit.

Turns out the bass kick starts 3-8 ms later than the vibraphone, varying a bit with the played note.

Attachments
relative-latency.png
relative-latency.png (17.15 KiB) Viewed 1138 times
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Impostor wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:27 pm
tavasti wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:20 pm

Did a little experiment: jack settings are 48kHz, 256 frames/period, 2 periods/buffer.

This was the thing: what I get is xruns (crackling) if not having higher settings in jack, and high latency. No need to measure anything, your system seems to perform ok with wineasio. Now interesting thing would be know is that your computer, your setup or FL which is there difference.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

tavasti wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:48 pm

Now interesting thing would be know is that your computer, your setup or FL which is there difference.

Got an AMD 5600X cpu, use stock Ubuntu 5.15 kernel, configured my system for realtime performance in probably the same way most of us here did, use the onboard audio chip ALC887, and the FL demo is the only Asio application I have...(used it to find out if wineasio worked at all: wanted to use it for Rebirth, but Rebirth is apparently pre-asio era software).

Edit: for fun, I loaded a project in FL with 100 tracks (NewStuff.flp). Now the relative latency suddenly is 60 ms or thereabouts :)