The worst system tuning tips - collect them

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

asbak
Established Member

Re: The worst system tuning tips - collect them

Post by asbak »

That's impressive, so at least one distro apparently decided to tune their OS to work out of the box with contemporary media.

You probably will still get lower latencies with ALSA or with Jack on ALSA but if Pipewire's working well enough for you not to need to bother switching that's great.

bhilmers wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:38 pm

It's basically there now. When I started using Linux 13 years ago I cursed the sky at how hard it was to do audio. This year I have a System76 desktop with the newest version of Pop_OS! which comes with Pipewire. Out of the box, I installed Reaper (Linux), plugged in my MIDI controller and audio interface... and everything worked with low latency. I literally did no tweaking of my system. Didn't add myself to the audio group. Didn't edit limits.conf. Nothing. For the first time I feel that I can recommend Linux for audio to my friends because it's literally as easy to use as Win/Mac.

Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
merlyn
Established Member

Re: The worst system tuning tips - collect them

Post by merlyn »

erlkönig wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:21 pm

@merlyn
Can you tell me, which adapter you use? I'm probably facing the same problem with an PCI RME-card, there are only a few boards with PCI... Can you tell anything about the latency?

After researching it a bit I got this box with four PCI slots :https://www.exsys-shop.de/shopware/en/c ... slots?c=18

It uses a TI XIO2000A chipset and it has absolutely zero impact on performance or latency. Motherboards don't have a PCI bus anymore. A motherboard with a legacy PCI slot is using a PCIe to PCI bridge, and they're often ASmedia chips. The reports are that these PCI to PCIe bridges also work with soundcards.

I notice that the price of that box has doubled since I got one. An alternative is a PCI riser card, which are much cheaper. The problem to solve with a riser card is how to mechanically fit it in your case.