Which way to guitar Rome, software or hardware effects?

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

D-Tuned
Established Member

Which way to guitar Rome, software or hardware effects?

Post by D-Tuned »

I have a Boss-Me80 but I never really got to liking it, maybe it lost some of its 'ring' when I drilled holes in it to mount a power-bar on it. It gives me the impression that the farther I move from 'clean' the worse it sounds. Then I noticed an effects board used by a group that resembles the Me80 but isn't one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeVu8wEJk6I

It's probably a GT100 which is older than the Me80 but then why is it still selling new at twice the price?

While just poking around on my computer I tried Guitarix and I can get waaaaaaaaaaay nicer sounds with it so I'm also installing Rakarrac on my linux distros. I'm new to both of these software guitar 'effectors' and it's a learning curve. I figure that I can always bring at least a laptop to my music which translates to infinite versatility.

When I look at the hardware this band has I don't think they chose a GT100 because they couldn't afford an Me80 or a heavyweight laptop with Guitarix/Rakarrack. Do I try a GT100, continue the software approach, or find out why my Me80 sounds poor (if that's possible at all)?

Artificial-Stupidity will never be competitive