[solved] Midi Out from VST versus LV2 Plugins in MusE

MusE is a DAW for Linux with both MIDI and Audio editing. https://muse-sequencer.github.io

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz, spamatica

Impostor
Established Member

[solved] Midi Out from VST versus LV2 Plugins in MusE

Post by Impostor »

Hi, I noticed that MusE (4.1 appimage) doesn't seem to be able to grab midi out signals from lv2 plugins (LibreArp, and Carla). It does grab midi out from Carla vst, and HY-Seq32 vst.

In both cases I make the exact same connections:
Midi Track 1: output to plugin (Carla/LibreArp) on synth track 1
Midi Track 2: input from plugin on synth track 1, output to synth track 2.

Would this be a bug?

Last edited by Impostor on Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim E. Real
Established Member

Re: Midi Out from VST versus LV2 Plugins in MusE

Post by Tim E. Real »

Hi. VST2 midi out works fine. You can route it to another midi track which in turn drives a synth or whatever.
Synths like Tonespace and Hypercyclic work just fine. I made sure of that over ten years ago :)

Today I checked LV2. Midi out however is not working.
In fact the support is missing altogether :(

This evening, locally here, I fixed one typo in our plugin scanner, ... and... added the missing midi out support! 8)

I tried the only two plugins on my system: MOD Arpeggiator and the Example Fifths LV2, both being midi effect plugins.
Example Fifths LV2 works great no problem.
But... MOD Arpeggiator is seriously messed up here. It spits out a constant very rapid overwhelming stream of midi events :(
After a while it settled down and it kinda sorta worked and I observed that Host sync and Free Run sync were working. But still messed up.
One suspect might be my LV2 transport position code. Maybe the plugin doesn't like being sent the transport all the time every cycle.
But keep in mind this arpeggiator is git head code that I pulled, so maybe bugs there.
Checking... I'm trying to get it running on QTractor so I can check it, but I'm having no luck at all so far :(

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Tim E. Real wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:40 am

Today I checked LV2. Midi out however is not working.
In fact the support is missing altogether :(

This evening, locally here, I fixed one typo in our plugin scanner, ... and... added the missing midi out support! 8)

Nice!

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Tim E. Real wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:40 am

But... MOD Arpeggiator is seriously messed up here. It spits out a constant very rapid overwhelming stream of midi events :(

I can't directly figure out what a MOD ecosystem is, but apparently MusE is not a part of it?

https://github.com/moddevices/mod-arpeggiator-lv2:

Caveats
The plugins can be used outside of the MOD ecosystem. But because they are developed for usage inside the MOD, there might be things that won't work properly. Especially the host-sync might not work as intended on other plugin-hosts.

Tim E. Real
Established Member

Post by Tim E. Real »

Yes I saw that.

I downloaded binary LibreArp. LV2 refused to load it. Not sure what's wrong there.

Next I installed QMidiArp and... success!
Works just fine!
Except... It triggered an unrelated crash in the generic UI. I'm trying to fix that now.

So... Give me a few days, I will try to commit everything I have been working on for a few months,
because it's HUGE and contains important features and fixes.
One fix is a very embarrassing bug that I just noticed the other day that seems to have been there since at least 2020:
Copy/paste notes/drum notes is messed up - it pastes the empty space before the copied notes, putting the pasted notes
way after the point where they were pasted, making it quite unusable. I'm surprised no one saw it.

This way you can try the midi out and decide for yourself if the MOD arp is buggy or not.
Hang in there...

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Tim E. Real wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:15 pm

So... Give me a few days, I will try to commit everything I have been working on for a few months.

Your commitment to MusE is admirable! If I were a coder I'd gladly help out. But the only coding I did was decades ago, doing maths and physics stuff with Fortran.

Copy/paste notes/drum notes is messed up - it pastes the empty space before the copied notes, putting the pasted notes way after the point where they were pasted, making it quite unusable. I'm surprised no one saw it.

I always copy stuff with <control> + drag. I guess everyone does that.

onefang
Established Member

Post by onefang »

So... Give me a few days, I will try to commit everything I have been working on for a few months,

Ah is this why my git pulls haven't been seeing any updates for a while? You have been hoarding your changes. Looking forward to seeing them land.

I prefer to be known as a figment of the 'nets imagination, living in the future, waiting for the rest of you to catch up.
Notes from Untalenz, an untalented old muso https://Untalenz.rocks/

onefang
Established Member

Post by onefang »

onefang wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:43 pm

Ah is this why my git pulls haven't been seeing any updates for a while? You have been hoarding your changes. Looking forward to seeing them land.

They just landed. New to spend the rest of the day checking out what "Spring 2023 large fixes and features" includes. At least one of my feature requests was included, the ability to export individual tracks and parts as MIDI files.

I prefer to be known as a figment of the 'nets imagination, living in the future, waiting for the rest of you to catch up.
Notes from Untalenz, an untalented old muso https://Untalenz.rocks/