A backlog of tunes

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

nonsequitarian
Established Member

A backlog of tunes

Post by nonsequitarian »

Hello,

I've posted these on the Ardour forums, so I'm sure some of you have heard them already, but I'm starting to hang out here a bit as well so I figured I'd share some of what I've made for those of you who haven't.

All the songs I've made that I feel good enough about to share (there aren't many, yet) are up at https://soundcloud.com/nonsequitarian, but I'll draw your attention to a couple in particular.

First is a jazzy funk-rock number that I think is my strongest piece, called "Doitoya": https://soundcloud.com/nonsequitarian/doitoya. The other is a very sparse cover of a lovely Iron & Wine tune: https://soundcloud.com/nonsequitarian/naked-as-we-came, including my first attempt at recording someone other than myself, on vocals.

Hope you enjoy!

GMaq
Established Member

Re: A backlog of tunes

Post by GMaq »

Hi!

Great stuff! I may have already liked or commented on the Ardour forum but I love the hard dry funk and Scofield-like craziness of doitoya, very arresting stuff!

Naked As We Came is lovely, tremendous acoustic production and a beautiful song and vocal!

Posting songs on the Ardour forum can often be like posting music on the dark side of Pluto, a much more responsive and receptive community here. many of us come and go to a degree but lots of good folks and musicians here..

Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Oh man, that vibraphone in Doitoya...

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

Really nice work!

The groove in "Doituya" got my head bobbing from the get-go. What are you using for the horn sounds? I'm selfishly hoping the answer isn't "the trumpet player who lives down the street." :)

I don't know the original for the "Naked" tune, but you've done a great job capturing the vocalist's performance!

Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
jeanette_c
Established Member

Post by jeanette_c »

Hi @nonsequitarian , thanks for sharing those songs. I am one of those not present on the Ardour forums and so appreciae the chance to get introduced to your music.
Doitoya is an interesting one. I love the brass section on that, both what they play and how it is played and recorded. The whole production is so reminiscent of the very late 60s/70s vibrancy and warmth. If I had some critical feedback about this song it would be the vibraphone - or marimba -, which sounds very sterile, both in sound and performance and thus sticks out from the rest of the arrangement.
Naked as we came is both a beautiful song and rendition. The guitar, at times, appears a little too compressed, but overall the sound is very pleasant. Good recoording of all performances. The harmonica struck me as being very gentle and well mixed in. So soft and in the background. I'm not a fan of this instrument, but you put it to great use in your arrangement. Lovely!
Thanks again for sahring and looking forward to more songs in the future!
Jeanette

--
distro: ArchLinux, DAW: Nama, MIDI sequencer: Midish
All my latest music on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rf ... 7jhC1Jnv7g
Albums, patches and Csound on http://juliencoder.de
nonsequitarian
Established Member

Post by nonsequitarian »

tseaver wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:57 pm

Really nice work!

The groove in "Doituya" got my head bobbing from the get-go. What are you using for the horn sounds? I'm selfishly hoping the answer isn't "the trumpet player who lives down the street." :)

I don't know the original for the "Naked" tune, but you've done a great job capturing the vocalist's performance!

Heh, no, not the trumpet player down the street. Both the horns and the vibraphone were done w a Roland GR-55 guitar synth.

nonsequitarian
Established Member

Post by nonsequitarian »

Thanks for the kind words! You get to continue to not like the harmonica, since the sounds you're talking about were made w a synth pad, no harmonicas involved.

jeanette_c wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:54 am

Hi @nonsequitarian , thanks for sharing those songs. I am one of those not present on the Ardour forums and so appreciae the chance to get introduced to your music.
Doitoya is an interesting one. I love the brass section on that, both what they play and how it is played and recorded. The whole production is so reminiscent of the very late 60s/70s vibrancy and warmth. If I had some critical feedback about this song it would be the vibraphone - or marimba -, which sounds very sterile, both in sound and performance and thus sticks out from the rest of the arrangement.
Naked as we came is both a beautiful song and rendition. The guitar, at times, appears a little too compressed, but overall the sound is very pleasant. Good recoording of all performances. The harmonica struck me as being very gentle and well mixed in. So soft and in the background. I'm not a fan of this instrument, but you put it to great use in your arrangement. Lovely!
Thanks again for sahring and looking forward to more songs in the future!
Jeanette