RME Fireface UFX III

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

martibs
Established Member

RME Fireface UFX III

Post by martibs »

RME claims Linux support via USB 3.0 Class compliance on the Fireface UFX 3.

Of course, proprietary app TotalMix Remote is needed for sane operation of the device. But this is the first time ever "Linux" is mentioned on any RME product page?

Jamesf
Established Member

Re: RME Fireface UFX III

Post by Jamesf »

It's not the first time, by any means.

They don't make much noise about it, but any of their class-compliant USB devices work on Linux. Like the Babyface, for example. Their Hammerfall PCI cards also work well, IIRC. There's even a Linux forum on the RMI community site.

I'm slow, but I get there eventually.
cupakm
Established Member

Post by cupakm »

Yep, Linux is a topic at RME like for 2 decades or so... they don't support it officially, but they're willing to talk if asked nicely :-)

RockMaster
Established Member

Post by RockMaster »

martibs wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:52 pm

RME claims Linux support via USB 3.0 Class compliance on the Fireface UFX 3.

Of course, proprietary app TotalMix Remote is needed for sane operation of the device. But this is the first time ever "Linux" is mentioned on any RME product page?

I have the UFX II. It works well in class compliant mode. You can control all the features with on-device controls, this is actually one of the main reasons why I bought it. Many other vendors don't have on-board controls of every feature and rely on their proprietary software obviously not officially supported on Linux (I'm looking at you, Focusrite).

Sure, it's not as convenient as TotalMix, but you can get by. By the way, RME has Linux section on their official forum. People use it to keep hassling them to release the official Linux driver, who knows, one day they may succeed 8)

martibs
Established Member

Post by martibs »

If the class compliant mode works well enough, shouldn't they be hassling them to release an OS agnostic version of Totalmix instead? Or at least an API to the controls?

RockMaster
Established Member

Post by RockMaster »

martibs wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:45 pm

If the class compliant mode works well enough, shouldn't they be hassling them to release an OS agnostic version of Totalmix instead? Or at least an API to the controls?

No, in order for TotalMix or any potential open source alternative to it to work, RME needs to submit their driver to the Linux kernel.

cupakm
Established Member

Post by cupakm »

RockMaster wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 2:25 pm

People use it to keep hassling them to release the official Linux driver, who knows, one day they may succeed 8)

...or build up enough frustration to end the hassling and turn themselves elsewhere.

CC mode on their stuff is very nice (having an UCX II), but there are some restrictions https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=38239

Digigram offers native Linux drivers with their delivery scheme, but I don't have a personal experience.