is wineasio still usefull for bridged Kontakt vst3 on Reaper ?

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

robisme
Established Member

is wineasio still usefull for bridged Kontakt vst3 on Reaper ?

Post by robisme »

Hi,

I am having troubles with latency using Kontakt 7 in Reaper. Even with 1024 buffer size (23ms latency), I have sometimes xruns.
It appears with my orchestral template.
I have to say that without Kontakt, but synths like Zebra, or Pianoteq, I can reach very low latency without any problem

Do you think that installing Wineasio could help increasing Kontakt vst3 performance, or is it an old tool for use wined windows daws ?

(Manjaro, Pipewire, Reaper, Wine, Yabridge)

GMaq
Established Member

Re: is wineasio still usefull for bridged Kontakt vst3 on Reaper ?

Post by GMaq »

WineASIO will not do anything for you if you are running your Plugins within a host (ie Reaper for Linux in this case). Like you said it would be used for something like running a full DAW like Reaper for Windows, or Fruity Loops or energyXT on Linux, also useful for running standalone Windows Audio apps but it's not going to help the Kontakt issue..

There are reports that wine-staging 8.3 breaks WineASIO now anyway.. :roll:

robisme
Established Member

Post by robisme »

Thanks for prevent me from loosing several hours trying to figure out how to install it.
Still, I have this Kontakt issue and no idea on how to fix it. I even tried the paying version of Wine ("Crossover"), no more luck.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

robisme wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:22 am

Thanks for prevent me from loosing several hours trying to figure out how to install it.
Still, I have this Kontakt issue and no idea on how to fix it. I even tried the paying version of Wine ("Crossover"), no more luck.

I don't know what Kontakt is and why this forum is flooding with questions 'bout it recently. But if it's a Windows VST and if you say that without it you have decent latency then it might be because the VST is very "heavy" for a computer. Emulating all sorts of Windows stuff on a Linux machine (via Wine) is no simple task for a computer. And if you want to make music at the same time then one's computer may struggle.

You also might try Wine Staging (some sort of testing ver of Wine, link) instead of "regular" Wine.

What software do you use to bridge Windows VST's to Linux? [edit: it's Yabridge: you should be fine then] Or is that not needed for Kontakt? And ... what the hell is Kontakt??

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

robisme wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:01 am

I am having troubles with latency using Kontakt 7 in Reaper. Even with 1024 buffer size (23ms latency), I have sometimes xruns.

Kontakt seems to be heavy, I at least get xruns with it. Needs bigger buffers than anything else. And if you run many Kontakt instruments same time, then you may need huge buffers. In that case it might be good idea to record one instrument at the time to audio track?

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

robisme
Established Member

Post by robisme »

Yes, I have to set a 1024 buffer size.
This way it pretty works most of the time, but suddenly crashes for some misterious reasons ...
Now that I'm running the very new 8.3 wine, it takes a huuuge time to load my template (20 tracks) of orchestral libraries.

robisme
Established Member

Post by robisme »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:52 am

I don't know what Kontakt is and why this forum is flooding with questions 'bout it recently.

Well, it is unfortunatly the only pro grade level sampler if you want to run pro grade level libraries such as Audiobro Modern Scoring Strings and Brass.
When I have let the windows world, I left Cubase and Spectrasonics with the pleasure to discover even better with Reaper and U-He synth.
But as for Kontakt, I have to admit that I can't do without it.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

robisme wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:59 pm
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:52 am

I don't know what Kontakt is and why this forum is flooding with questions 'bout it recently.

Well, it is unfortunatly the only pro grade level sampler if you want to run pro grade level libraries such as Audiobro Modern Scoring Strings and Brass.
When I have let the windows world, I left Cubase and Spectrasonics with the pleasure to discover even better with Reaper and U-He synth.
But as for Kontakt, I have to admit that I can't do without it.

Thanks for explaining what Kontakt is and why everybody uses it. :)

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

robisme wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:40 pm

Yes, I have to set a 1024 buffer size.
This way it pretty works most of the time, but suddenly crashes for some misterious reasons ...
Now that I'm running the very new 8.3 wine, it takes a huuuge time to load my template (20 tracks) of orchestral libraries.

1024 buffer for 20 kontakt tracks can be still inssufucuent, you may need to go even higher.

asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

artix_linux_user wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:17 pm

Kontakt was the final reason for me to switch to Linux as DAW OS.
Kontakt was is and will ever be very buggy.
Kontakt is the leading distribution platform for third party sample libraries.
Kontakt offers decryption of secured sample libraries.
that is the reason why there are many many users who are having serious troubles with kontakt and the installation of third party sample libraries.
What is the sample engine behind the Vienna orchestra sample library? not Kontakt, or?

The extensive old VSL (Vienna) sample libraries were created for Gigasampler.
Linuxsampler plays those just fine.

Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

artix_linux_user wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:17 pm

Kontakt was the final reason for me to switch to Linux as DAW OS.
Kontakt was is and will ever be very buggy.
Kontakt is the leading distribution platform for third party sample libraries.
Kontakt offers decryption of secured sample libraries.
that is the reason why there are many many users who are having serious troubles with kontakt and the installation of third party sample libraries.
What is the sample engine behind the Vienna orchestra sample library? not Kontakt, or?

Nothing to ask about Kontakt, but how change to Linux solved problem? Is there some sampler in Linux which isn't available in win/macos?

Vienna uses their own plugin, and is protected by iLok, the biggest evil of audio plugin world. Even their free instruments need iLok. And those free instruments work in Linux with yabridge.