yabridge

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

LAM
Established Member

Re: yabridge

Post by LAM »

There is LinVST: https://github.com/osxmidi/LinVst

I'm not an expert on this stuff since I don't use any Win or proprietary stuff, I just run FOSS stuff on Linux, that's already enough for me. :lol:

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

wintpe
Established Member

Post by wintpe »

linux based solutions is my primary aim, it does not need to be foss, but as im retired sysadmin from 25 years working in it in londons finacial sector im happy if its free. my work expirience has told me there is alot of great comercial software as well as foss, but for me the primary goal is its not running on a microsoft or apple platform.
so similar sentiment to artix linux user, but not so stalmanish, no insult intended with with that comparison.
regards peter

robisme
Established Member

Post by robisme »

I have Reaper and am (was) very happy with it.
But I have a big issue with Kontakt (wine and yabridge obviously).
Kontakt would crash reaper (presented as "yabridge host") wen loading big orchestral instruments (up to a certain amount).
I have downgraded wine to v7.xx and noxw it doesn't crash, but while I was dealing with this issue, I tried Bitwig.
What a huge difference it is when comparing performances.
I can play live 10 instances of intensive orchestral libraries, with a 512 buffer, while with Reaper, even with 1024, I have severe xruns.

I am very sad : Bitwig is full of features I don't give a sh... because I don't do electro loop-centered live performance, but music for film, and it lacks a lot of features I found very usefull in Reaper. But, as for stability and performance, I have to surrender, it is far better.

My system is Manjaro with a Dell XPS 13 plus (12th gen i7, 32Go ram)

Is it a matter of Yabridge, Wine, Manjaro, Pipewire, Dell I could manage to troubleshot ? or Do I have to buy Bitwig ?

asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

Perhaps there are additional performance gains that can still be tuned on your system? I can run Kontakt in Reaper with Jack at 256 frames with no xruns using a USB soundcard, but that's with one instrument loaded. I haven't tried to load a large group so I cannot comment on how that would work. I'm using the latest Wine Staging & yabridge.

*Additional information for whoever may be interested:
I haven't been able to achieve the same level of performance with Pipewire.
Kontakt with Pipewire (and hosts such as Carla, Reaper etc) xruns at 256 frames. Perhaps the CPU isolation mod discussed in another post could help improve performance here?

Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio