Ubuntu Studio support methods, current situation?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Largos
Established Member

Re: Ubuntu Studio support methods, current situation?

Post by Largos »

hjhmusic wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:51 am

Good tip about plasmashell... I'll have to set that up... well... after reinstalling EVERYTHING.

I saw that Plasma 5.27 ships with Ubuntu 22.10, so I upgraded. Big mistake. The desktop is hopelessly laggy, can't even open Chrome. I'm typing this on my old machine.

At this point I'll have to go with a known quantity and downgrade to 22.04, sticking with Ubuntu Studio for now bc I don't have time for unknowns.

My next system will not be Ubuntu Studio, unless somebody comes through with some answers. Really loved it these few years but this is not OK.

BTW I signed onto the mailing list and explained my situation and the response has been... oh right. Nothing. While I understand how hard it is for a small team to handle support requests, there's... uh... NO activity on the mailing list (check the archives, there's exactly one post for the whole month of March -- mine!). They can't exactly claim to be overwhelmed with questions...

hjh

Reading your message on the mailing list, I think a clean install will be best at this point and in future, don't delete all your config files. It's not the fault of Plasma or Ubuntu Studio if you do something like that and get problems. That said, multi display is not 100% on Plasma (Although, they did some improvments for 5.27) and is the reason I know that command I showed you :D

artix_linux_user wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:18 am

I have tested kde wayland maybe 2 years ago on a third gen intel notebook....
and you can see it coming right?
It was running, stable running. it was usable...but idle performance was around 60% which was before with compiz maybe less then the 5%.
So, yeah it is a nice idea to have everything needed allready installed and integrated into your user session, yes.
It is also a nice idea to have all these little pieces of this make me happy environment as seperate single software packages, so you dont have to install everything if you want just this single software.
Well, lets forget that you still have to install a huge mass of dependencies, so yeah...
Havign said this, I would never use or install kde or plasma....nice desktop, nice software, nice ideas, nice devs, still not efficient enough on my systems.

You expected to run the Wayland version two years ago without problems? I don't know what to say.

sunrat
Established Member

Re: Ubuntu Studio support methods, current situation?

Post by sunrat »

hjhmusic wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:51 am

I saw that Plasma 5.27 ships with Ubuntu 22.10, so I upgraded. Big mistake. The desktop is hopelessly laggy, can't even open Chrome.

I just installed Debian Testing (Bookworm) with Plasma 5.27. Been using it for about six hours now and it's working fine, quite pleased with it actually.
I've long had an aversion to Ubuntu both from philosophical point of view and disappointment on the few occasions I have tried it. I dare say the problem is Ubuntu, not KDE Plasma.