UralTone REDD .47 1 or 2-channel all tube mic pre kit

Bring your custom casings, arduinos, raspberry pi's, axoloti's and other creative hardware projects

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sjzstudio
Established Member

UralTone REDD .47 1 or 2-channel all tube mic pre kit

Post by sjzstudio »

That could be a great device, but it becomes quite expensive if you take it with all the goodies.

https://en.uraltone.com/kits/studio-kit ... sarja.html

Last edited by sjzstudio on Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Re: UralTone REDD .47 1 or 2-channel all tube mic pre kit

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

I'm guessing you're a guitarist. Guitarists are the only people in the universe who still haven't evolved beyond vacuum tubes.

Just because the first solid state circuits were poorly designed, and therefore got the mistaken reputation of being inferior soundwise to vacuum tubes, doesn't mean that they actually are. In fact, the former have better fidelity.

It's like how the first CD players had no oversampling, and really horrible cutoff filtering, so vinyl snobs still have this unfounded notion that digital is inferior to analog, decades after those issues are no longer applicable. Um, no.

It drives me crazy how adamant people are to cling to outdated notions based upon past events that no longer are applicable. The universe changes, folks. Keep up with it, or I'll push you off the edge of the flat earth we live upon.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

sjzstudio
Established Member

Post by sjzstudio »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:05 pm

I'm guessing you're a guitarist. Guitarists are the only people in the universe who still haven't evolved beyond vacuum tubes.

Just because the first solid state circuits were poorly designed, and therefore got the mistaken reputation of being inferior soundwise to vacuum tubes, doesn't mean that they actually are. In fact, the former have better fidelity.

It's like how the first CD players had no oversampling, and really horrible cutoff filtering, so vinyl snobs still have this unfounded notion that digital is inferior to analog, decades after those issues are no longer applicable. Um, no.

It drives me crazy how adamant people are to cling to outdated notions based upon past events that no longer are applicable. The universe changes, folks. Keep up with it, or I'll push you off the edge of the flat earth we live upon.

I'm not a guitarist.
But it's wonderful that you know things so well :D

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

sjzstudio wrote:

I'm not a guitarist.

:: Suspicious ::

Are you a banjo player?

merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

We know for a fact you're not a guitarist, jeff. I call 'tubes' 'valves', and sorry to tell you this but they are different to play through. They feel different. They respond to how hard the player picks differently. You would only know this by playing through one.

I don't have a valve amp, as they're not easily portable, but they are different.

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

merlyn wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:52 pm

but they are different to play through.

Most musical instruments have perceiveable differences. That's moot. But cognitive dissonance is generally the impetus that makes guitarists believe that vacuum tubes have some magical unicorn power to transform music in a way that no other circuitry can. It's like with all those people who are absolutely convinced that 192KHz sampling rate is musically useful. A double-blind study was done with these people asked to identity material that was and wasn't sampled at that rate. The results were that they couldn't identity the source with any more accuracy than random chance.

But they believed, and were convinced, otherwise.

Whatever musical property a tube produces can be also produced by solid state circuitry. It's just a matter of designing the transistor-based circuit to do so (which nevertheless requires expertise. It's not something that everyone can do. But it can be done).

merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:43 pm

... Whatever musical property a tube produces can be also produced by solid state circuitry.

Not really. Valves saturate, transistors clip.

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

merlyn wrote:

Valves saturate, transistors clip.

Are you implying that it's not possible to model a particular saturation effect using solid state circuitry?

Because that would be incorrect.

sjzstudio
Established Member

Post by sjzstudio »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:26 pm
merlyn wrote:

Valves saturate, transistors clip.

Are you implying that it's not possible to model a particular saturation effect using solid state circuitry?

You can always go to the arcade and drive a Ferrari and imagine you're a millionaire.
That's a good place to start exploring living in the real world:
https://www.aikenamps.com/index.php/white-papers

But it's certainly easier to get a reasonable sound with, say, amp sims, if there's limited hardware available, and the skills and facilities of the recording/mixer "engineer" are limited.

merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:26 pm

By all means design a transistor circuit that behaves in the same way as a valve and become a millionaire selling it to guitarists. Do you really think Mesa Boogie, Marshall and Fender are blowing it out their ass? That a large portion of the world's guitarists are living in a delusion, brainwashed into thinking valves are different, when actually they're not, and only one jeffg knows the truth? It's a bit tin foil hat. :D

The word 'model' is significant. It's a model. You can't go on holiday in a model plane. (Although maybe you can.) You can't cross a river on a model bridge. If there are musically desirable qualities of valves, then why settle for a model? Why not use the real thing?

bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

Whatever musical property a tube produces can be also produced by solid state circuitry. It's just a matter of designing the transistor-based circuit to do so (which nevertheless requires expertise. It's not something that everyone can do. But it can be done).

Who has this? I want one.

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Draw your own conclusions... I am the skeptic of skeptics and own a few good tube amps, this showed me that modeling has come a LONG way..

https://youtu.be/l0SQcrIK_L8

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

merlyn wrote:

By all means design a transistor circuit that behaves in the same way as a valve and become a millionaire selling it to guitarists.

That would be impossible. Guitarists have been told for so many years that tube amps have musical unicorn magic powers that even if someone made a solid state circuit that scientifically had the same audio response as a tube amp, the guitarist would insist the tube amp "sounds different", just like you've been doing here.

You can't make money off of superstitious people, unless you play into their superstitions.

Do you really think Mesa Boogie, Marshall and Fender are blowing it out their ass?

They're doing what any business does. Giving their customers what they're willing to buy. If there are enough customers willing to buy magical unicorn powers, then they'll sell you magic unicorn powers. Note that nowhere do they claim that tubes can do things that can't be modeled by solid state circuits. Rather, they're just saying things like "we use the finest magical unicorn vacuum tubes with attention to detail to produce an astonishing level of hocus-pocus-tion in our Vacuum Genie line of tube amps for which we're charging three times as much as a comparable solid state unit.".

If as many guitarists believed that rubbing excrement on a speaker made it sound special, as they believe in the magic properties of tubes, then these companies would be selling bags of shit (at premium prices since superstitious people are easy to manipulate).

Don't be a chump.

only one jeffg knows the truth?

The entire world knows the truth. The only people still buying tube circuits are guitarists. YOU are the tin foil hat wearing fringe. Everyone else designs and uses solid state. I have an associates of science in electrical tech (ie the first 2 years of an Electrical Engineering degree). I understand what tubes and transistors do. And that's why I know the former doesn't do anything the latter can't.

The word 'model' is significant. It's a model. You can't go on holiday in a model plane.

What the hell are you rambling about? You substituted an entirely different dictionary definition (model as a noun) for my definition (model as a verb) to argue with your own absurd strawman.

Is there no deceit to which you won't deliberately stoop?

If there are musically desirable qualities of valves, then why settle for a {solid state}?

Because tubes don't have the longetivity of transistors. They cost more to manufacture and ship. They're more vulnerable to physical shock. They're bigger (take up more space), and weigh more. They're less electrically efficient. And almost nobody makes them anymore, so it's hard to get replacement parts. Plus, I'll say it again for the sake of the susperstitious, there's nothing a tube can do that a transistor can't. That's why tubes are an obsolete technology supported only by a fringe group of superstitious "magic audio connoisseurs".

Who would actually want something with that many drawbacks? Don't be a chump.

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

sjzstudio
Established Member

Post by sjzstudio »

A bit strange, because in the end it was about building a microphone preamplifier. Which now happens to be a "clone" of Abbey Road's REDD mixer preamp, which now happens to be a tube rig. It is considered to be responsible for one of the most characteristic sounds of the pop music era in its time. And yet is still completely usable today. If someone wants to deal with tube/valve equipment, then why such a reaction? Or should we start praising UAD Unison's technology here. And considers everyone who uses Linux a heretic, because UAD doesn't want to be friends with Linux. Because the modeling and transistor technology is absolutely superior

Let's ban all tube devices immediately :!:

The entire world knows the truth. The only people still buying tube circuits are guitarists. YOU are the tin foil hat wearing fringe. Everyone else designs and uses solid state. I have an associates of science in electrical tech (ie the first 2 years of an Electrical Engineering degree). I understand what tubes and transistors do. And that's why I know the former doesn't do anything the latter can't.

I also have all kinds of degrees in electronics, computer technology, etc. Still, I understand enough that I'm not right all the time. In fact, I've learned how little I know about anything when I've been figuring things out. But this much I understand that you are not completely right in this statement.